• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Concord jewler fights sign ban

Started by Dave Ridley, November 03, 2006, 09:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

error

Concord "is going to look like Tokyo"? Where do they find these people? And how did they survive to adulthood?

You could do a silent protest with one of these:

http://www.signsseen.com/digitalleddisplayslimosinedriversign.html

aries

Why the hell must all these killjoys stomp on progress. If Concord looks like Tokyo, isnt that just great for everybody?

There's some mentality that towns must look like 18th century mill/port towns I think.

Spencer

I don't understand why suing the city for damages is a bad thing.  Just because John Q. Public picks up the cost doesn't mean that we should immunize government for its bad / immoral / illegal behavior.  Eventually, John Q. will vote the bastards out or pay the price.  Maybe we should take it out of the salaries of the people who make the bad / immoral / illegal policies / laws?

Quantrill

QuoteMaybe we should take it out of the salaries of the people who make the bad / immoral / illegal policies / laws?

Nice.  I like this idea.  Pay these politicians based on commission.  Any bad laws and you don't get paid.  Perhaps public floggings are in order as well?

:icon_pirat:

Atlas

David

in ohio, my employer cannot put up the menu on the inside of the restaurant, because of some zoning or permit reasons.  The sign sits in the back of the restaurant. 
Another store, had a nice mural with a stylized spelling of the restaurants name in it freshly painted, by hand on the wall.  The zoning nazis told them because the name faces the street, it is a sign and must be taken down.  Less than a week after being freshly painted, the entire mural was repaited with some bland paint, I think white. 

Dreepa

Quote from: fsp-ohio on November 04, 2006, 02:35 PM NHFT
in ohio, my employer cannot put up the menu on the inside of the restaurant, because of some zoning or permit reasons.  The sign sits in the back of the restaurant. 
Another store, had a nice mural with a stylized spelling of the restaurants name in it freshly painted, by hand on the wall.  The zoning nazis told them because the name faces the street, it is a sign and must be taken down.  Less than a week after being freshly painted, the entire mural was repaited with some bland paint, I think white. 
WTF? ???

Pat McCotter

Uno's Car Wash and Red Blazer both have electronic signs.

[NOTE: I thought Red Blazer would lose money if they voluntarily went smoke-free. They are smoke-free and they have the money to buy, install and operate an electronic sign?]

Concord

Judge's ruling allows signs in city to go flashy
Signs show more than time and temperature 

By SARAH LIEBOWITZ
Monitor staff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 19. 2006 8:00AM

DAN HABIB / Monitor staff

Messages from Uno?s Car Wash on Loudon Road change every five seconds. The city has appealed to the state Supreme Court a ruling that overrode its ban on certain electronic signs.

Scrolling and flashing electronic signs are sprouting in Concord, after the city lost a free-speech challenge to its sign regulations.

Merrimack County Superior Court Justice Kathleen McGuire ruled that the city's ordinance -- which bans electronic signs with changing messages, except for those detailing time and temperature -- is unconstitutional. Concord can't allow electronic time and temperature signs, which the city considers a public service, and prohibit other messages, she said.

The city has appealed the decision, which was handed down this spring, to the state Supreme Court.

But in the meantime, several business owners are using the court decision to plow ahead with the signs. Last week, an electronic sign debuted at Uno's Car Wash on Loudon Road, urging motorists to "shampoo those carpets" and "wax that paint." The message changes about once every five seconds. The Concord Motorcycle Center on Sheep Davis Road also has an electronic message sign, city staff said.

"Eighty percent of my customers comment on how nice it looks compared to what was there. I'm real pleased with it. I think it ties things together," said Clark Tomassian, owner of Uno's. "The signage is kind of the icing on the cake."

The sign debate has pitted business owners against some city officials, who worry that the signs could attract flashing lights and scrolling screens. At a city council meeting in March, Councilor Keith Nyhan said the city "is going to look like Tokyo" if councilors fail to ban all electronic signs.

If the Supreme Court upholds the superior court ruling, the city will have to treat all electronic message signs, including those displaying time and temperature, equally. The council could ban all electronic message signs or allow the signs with some regulations. Councilors have postponed a decision on the signs since March. They could weigh in on the issue next month, said Ham Rice, Concord's code administrator.
Banning the signs hampers business, some business owners say. For Holly Carlson, general manager of Carlson's Motor Sales on Manchester Street, an electronic sign would keep employees from climbing a ladder to manually change the message. "I won't be doing anything flashing or scrolling," said Carlson, who plans to install an electronic sign. Hudson sign maker Barlo Signs filed the lawsuit on behalf of Carlson's.

For others, such as Tomassian, the signs show customers that the facility is modern. "People like to come to a clean, up-to-date" business, he said.

Barlo filed the lawsuit after the zoning board rejected bids by Carlson's, Uno's and the Red Blazer restaurant to install electronic signs with changing messages. The city has allowed one notable exception for the Capitol Center for the Arts, which has an electronic sign displaying upcoming events.

"There needs to be a little more freedom in the Live Free or Die state," said Don Reed, a senior designer with Barlo.

McGuire isn't the only judge to agree. Barlo has fought free speech challenges throughout the state, starting in Salem, where it won a superior court case, Reed said.

Once Barlo filed the lawsuit, city staff began drafting new sign regulations. In February, Rice proposed a plan to limit electronic message signs to commercial areas. The size of signs would also be restricted, and text would change no more than once an hour. But the planning board voted to recommend to the city council that the ban continue.

City staff then drafted an ordinance that prohibits all electronic signs, including those displaying time and temperature. Councilors tabled the proposed ordinance in March, which essentially made the ban the city's position until councilors take further action.

But even if councilors ban all electronic message signs, Concord will likely see several more. A handful of sign applications -- including Carlson's -- were submitted under the prior ban, which excluded electronic message signs with time and temperature. If the supreme court upholds the ruling, there are "about a half dozen of them that will legitimately be able to function within reason as they wish," Rice said.

yamnuska

He should fight this, up here in Canuckistan we have sign laws in Quebec, God help you if you try to put up a sign in English only, in Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/bill101/

Spencer

Quote from: yamnuska on November 04, 2006, 10:06 PM NHFT
He should fight this, up here in Canuckistan we have sign laws in Quebec, God help you if you try to put up a sign in English only, in Quebec.

Your post reminds me of the scene in Canadian Bacon in which the guys get pulled over by a Canadian cop played by Dan Ackroyd demands that they make their anti-Canada graffiti on the side of their truck bilingual.

yamnuska

Quote from: Spencer on November 04, 2006, 10:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: yamnuska on November 04, 2006, 10:06 PM NHFT

Your post reminds me of the scene in Canadian Bacon in which the guys get pulled over by a Canadian cop played by Dan Ackroyd demands that they make their anti-Canada graffiti on the side of their truck bilingual.

To true. It is beyond the pale to wake up out here in Alberta, reach into my kitchen larder and pull out a box of fruit loops with English on one side and French on the other. I just hate to think how much cheaper food would be if everything in this country did not have to be in French and English, even DVD's have to have French on them "un film de......" If I had words written on my condoms I am sure they would have to be in French as well as English. The manual for my computer, a CD liner, my car manual, the small print on the back of my credit card, and on and on and on...............

aries