• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Home Heating without power

Started by slim, November 04, 2006, 06:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

I would like to put my $0.02 in. My suggestion if you are building or buying a new home I would look for a hydronic heating system. You could have both a boiler that would use either propane, natural gas, or oil for when everything is fine but you could also have a wood boiler for when the SH*t hits the fan (wood could also be used to reduce your dependence on fossil fuels). Also if you plan the system correctly the system could use gravity to transfer the heat through the whole house. If you use a furnace you need some electricity to power the blower fan to circulate the heat through the house. A fireplace would be alright to heat a couple rooms but some of the rooms in the house may be too cold for comfortable use.

Lloyd Danforth

I  lived in a house where one of the two original gravity hot water hear systems was replaced with a modern boiler and a circulation pump. The main difference, besides the pump, was the size of the pipes going in and out of the boiler.  The new unit had much smaller pipes.  It could have had something to do with the relative sizes of the boilers.  I don't know how well a modern system would work without the pump or if the heated water can get past the pump.

mraaron

A woodburning stove would be handy for a small area.  I'd want to have plumbing with the small pipe bleeding assembly to drain water out of the water pipes in a heating emergency.  If you can't go with wood, you might try a propane heater.  Not ideal but its the only reliable option I've found to woodburning stoves in an emergency.

This one allows connection of 20LB propane tanks with an adapter....I recommend the inline filter as well.
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116

A couple 20lb propane tanks kept full would be handy.  I've used the smaller version with good results in power outages in the midwest in January, this model seems to be NH grade.  Get some plastic sheeting and some duct tape to wall off unused sections.  Just be sure to crack a window nearby, and have someone on watch to make sure you have ventilation and watch for carbon monoxide poisoning or fire.
Personally, I prefer wood, having used it growing up, but sometimes people lack space to store an adequate (and dry) supply.

If you want more info, send a private message, I can steer you to some knowledgeable folks.

aries

You cant heat a home without energy/power.
Just depends on how you get it.

You could put in those special panes that radiate heat in your ceiling, and make sure you have heavy drapes on windows not made to create heat, so you dont let cold radiate in.
A fireplace works good as well, but you kind of have to be close.

Wearing warm clothing goes a long way.

mraaron

I think slim was referring to grid power, and heating is one of the biggest energy users for a homeowner.

aries

Quote from: mraaron on November 06, 2006, 11:10 AM NHFT
  I think slim was referring to grid power, and heating is one of the biggest energy users for a homeowner.

Oh. Then I'd reiterate using solar. Not PV panels but that magnified glass that converts sunlight into heat from your roof. That in combo with heavy drapes, or a well-kept fireplace (smoky home = respiratory damage)

MaineShark

Quote from: slim on November 04, 2006, 06:54 AM NHFTAlso if you plan the system correctly the system could use gravity to transfer the heat through the whole house. If you use a furnace you need some electricity to power the blower fan to circulate the heat through the house.

Hot air can be gravity, too.  No need for a fan.  I actually just replaced an old gravity furnace with a modern furnace, yesterday.

Gravity heating, for air or water, is very poor.  Very, very poor.

If you really want heating that doesn't depend upon electricity, steam is at least halfway decent.

Joe

Pat K

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on November 10, 2006, 10:42 PM NHFT
Me likey STEAM.  :)

No doubt that you do! I think you dropped by our place with some Dampfbier at ShortyFest.

lordmetroid

If you want cheap heat make sure you build your house to make use of the heat that the sun gives you in the most efficient way. Designing the windows and layout of the house makes quite a big difference!

Quantrill

QuoteOh. Then I'd reiterate using solar. Not PV panels but that magnified glass that converts sunlight into heat from your roof.

Skylights? 

Dreepa

When my roof is redone in the spring I am going to look into Solar tubes.
http://www.solatube.com/

MaineShark

Quote from: Dreepa on November 11, 2006, 10:54 AM NHFTWhen my roof is redone in the spring I am going to look into Solar tubes.
http://www.solatube.com/

Good for light.  Not necessarily for solar heat gain...

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: MaineShark on November 12, 2006, 01:11 PM NHFT
Good for light.  Not necessarily for solar heat gain...

Yep, they look great for lighting, but I think they're designed to avoid heat gain.

Kevin

Pat K

Yes they are designed to minimize heat gain. They do provide great lighting. My Mom has several of them in her house. Not so good when hurricanes come though, I  hate putting anything through a roof that does not  have to be there.