• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Union Leader endorses NHLA voting guide!

Started by KBCraig, November 05, 2006, 11:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Tobacco+and+firearms%3a+Preserving+liberty+in+NH&articleId=14e83d7c-cba1-4f49-b614-f1acb8f21155

Tobacco and firearms: Preserving liberty in NH

Two issues sure to come up in the next legislative session are cigarette smoking and self-defense. Really, they are two aspects of one larger issue: personal freedom.

The petty tyrants who love to dictate the personal behavior of others nearly succeeded in banning smoking in all restaurants and bars in New Hampshire this past legislative session. Make no mistake, this is not a health issue. It's about control of private property.

Last session's signature gun legislation, a bill to allow citizens to use deadly force if they feel that their lives are in danger, also is about freedom rather than safety. The law now requires citizens to attempt to flee before defending themselves with, if necessary, deadly force.

Opponents of the bill say it would lead to bloodbaths. That's the same thing they said about concealed carry laws.

The New Hampshire Firearms Coalition has a voter guide, online at www.nhfc-ontarget.org. Gun Owners of New Hampshire has one as well, www.gonh.org. They are well worth checking out.

The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance (www.nhliberty.org) also has a list of "pro-freedom candidates" who regularly vote in favor of individual liberties. We are not with the Alliance on every single issue, but their scorecard is a good proxy for determining who is a friend or foe of personal freedoms.

If New Hampshire is to remain the "Live free or die" state, we have to continue voting for freedom and against government coercion.

It is something to remember when you go to the polls tomorrow

aries

Is that an editorial or an article?

I'm surprised! UL was already my favorite paper but... this makes them look, really good.

d_goddard

Quote from: aries on November 06, 2006, 06:43 AM NHFT
UL was already my favorite paper but... this makes them look, really good.
Joe McQuaid is the editor-in-chief of the Union Leader.
He's been a vocal proponent of the Free State Project, and of the NH Liberty Alliance.

"Be the media" - it's powerful!

Rosie the Riveter

John

Have I ever mentioned that The Union Leader is my favorite (real  ;))paper?

Quantrill

Dude, there must be some PORCs working there.  I watched the clip on FSP's website where the guy from the UL gave props to the FSP.  Very cool paper. 

John

KBCraig

Quote from: Quantrill on November 06, 2006, 06:31 PM NHFT
Dude, there must be some PORCs working there.  I watched the clip on FSP's website where the guy from the UL gave props to the FSP.  Very cool paper. 

Naw, it's just that the FSP's goal is a perfect match for the flinty old NH conservative mindset.

That mindset happens to be the editorial position of the UL. :D

davemincin

I sat at Joe McQuaid's  table at our dinner last year.  Imagine that! ;D
Anyway he said he is most interested in receiving Opeds from freedom
folks.