• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Naming our Free State School project in Keene

Started by Russell Kanning, December 21, 2004, 07:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

As some of you may know, we are starting a homeschool/continuing ed "school" of sorts in Keene. We will be starting individual classes and offering them mostly once a week in rented classrooms. We have a yahoo mailing list already and have been trying to come up with a name for our venture.
Anyone have any suggestions?

JonM

You could somehow name it after Thomas Jefferson, if you're looking for that sort of naming venue.

Or the Keene Center for Life Long Learning . . .

Is it going to be tied into the Liberty Scholarship Fund at all?

Kat Kanning

No, not tied into the LSF.  Eventually when we're more like a private school, people could use scholarships there.

We are planning a fundraiser for the LSF in the spring, if you're interested in helping.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: JonM on December 21, 2004, 10:02 AM NHFT
You could somehow name it after Thomas Jefferson, if you're looking for that sort of naming venue.
Or the Keene Center for Life Long Learning . . .
I like both of these ideas...we will keep throwing them into a hat and pick sometime soon.

JonM

Well, you could start it with the idea that it will branch out into other towns.

The Thomas Jefferson Life Long Learning Center at Keene.

The Keene Jeffersonian Life Long Learning Center.

Etc.  Quite a few schools out there already named for Thomas Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson Education and Experience Center sounds like a theme park . . .

How about the Life Long Education and Experience Center at Keene? 

Russell Kanning

I really think the idea will branch out all over NH. It will also take on different personalities in each location. :)
We had also been thinking the Ben Franklin name was good too.

Dave Ridley

I kinda like Free State School....    But I suspect there probably is something better.  On the one hand it would attach something very positive to the term "Free State;" on the other hand it would sort of go against the idea of setting the FSP aside and just being good citizens.

Maybe "the Liberty Tree?"

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Lysander Spooner School

Lysander Spooner University

Spooner U

BlueLu

I like the 'Lysander Spooner School'.? Jane says, "I go to Spooner.? I've been helping my dad can strawberrys the last few days, though.? Next year I'll be learning aviation, economics, and woodlot management there."

'Liberty Tree' is nice, though -- really plays on the image of openness.

A more neutral name like "Monadnock Learning Center" might get interest from a broader cross-section of the population.? I am not sure whether this would be a benefit or a liability....

Russell Kanning

Something with Monadnock is a little boring. I like Liberty Tree. :)

jgmaynard

Well, from the wiki, plus some of what we got from this thread, we have the following name candidates:

Liberty Learning Center
Free State School
Porcupine Pupils
Liberty Tree Learning Center
Porcupine Penitentiary
Liberty Cooperative
Autonomy Academy
Discover Liberty
Stark Center for Learning
Thoreau Education Network (That's like, a double entendre, eh? ;))
Richard Saunders Educational Network (Richard Saunders was Ben Franklin's psuedonym) or just...
Poor Richard's Learning Center
Jefferson Center for Life-Long Learning (JeCeLLL? Where's Hyde? :D)

I tried to use bits and pieces from everywhere, especially the ones that seemed to get some support.

Over the next couple days, I propose we have the "semi-finalists", which we have on a poll on here (and let people know about it), then we take the finalists from that (say the top five vote-getters), and pick a final name from between them at the 1/1 luncheon.

I would REALLLY like to be able to tell the press (and public) about us picking a name and (what was the other thing we were going to do there? Pick a sec?) ASAP after the new year.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments? Insults? :D

JM

BlueLu

Liberty Learning Center is actually the one I was (wrongly) remembering.

If you go with "Liberty Tree", I'd just call it the "Liberty Tree" and not "Liberty Tree Learning Center".

Just my 2?.  Or maybe I am up to 4? now.   8)

Russell Kanning

JMaynard,
     I like the idea of coming up with names then polling on this forum. We just need to get all the people from the yahoo group to join here so they are all a part of it. :)

Lloyd Danforth