• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The American Liberty Dollar

Started by jcpliberty, January 03, 2005, 01:14 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpliberty

Hey all-

I have been wondering what people here thought about the American Liberty Dollar? (reminds me of the ounce gold coins found in the wonderful Sci-Fi novel, The Probability Broach,  by L. Neil Smith that features Albert Gallatin on the front and a whiskey jug on the back...)

Don't know what it is? See here: http://www.libertydollar.org

I am trying to see if I can get enough people interested in becoming Liberty Associates so that we have at least one per county. Great if we can have one per town/city but county works for now.

Anyone interested? I really want to see how we can get the free-market money movement roaring in NH.

JP

Michael Fisher

The Liberty Dollar is a scam.? It claims to be worth $10, and you try to tell people it is, when in fact an ounce of silver is only worth $6.68.? I repeat... one ounce of silver is worth $6.68, not $10.

I've been opposing this scam currency for a long time.? bleh.

Just accept gold and silver bullion as payment like I do.? At least most bullion and coins do not claim to be worth anything more than "one ounce of gold" or silver.? It would be a difficult endeavor indeed to get people to accept pure gold or silver as payment, but it's sure possible.

...but not with the liberty dollar.  At least not honestly.

jcpliberty

From the NORFED Website:

But why should I pay twice the price for silver?
Put simply, you aren't. The Liberty Dollar is a currency, not an investment. If you want to buy silver at the spot price, then buy silver bullion. Of course, you'll have to buy quite a large quantity to get it that low.

We are trying to bring about a positive political and economic reform, and that costs money--not to mention the costs of minting, storage, insurance, printing and distribution, bookkeeping, supporting the Liberty Associates, advertising, and all the other usual expenses of a free-market enterprise which have to be paid for.

Remember, when you accept a $100 Federal Reserve Note, you are trading $100 worth of goods or services for a 3-cent piece of paper, backed by nothing but debt and delusion. Partial-backing with value is infinitely better than zero-backing with debt.

More information: http://www.libertydollar.org/html/silvertwice.asp

I have been involved in the movement since it's first year. I have full trust in the board of directors and with my friend, Mr. Von NotHaus.

I too accept gold and silver bullion in payment of debt. The Liberty Dollar just makes it easier to get a mass movement going, and that costs money.

JP

jcpliberty

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on January 03, 2005, 01:26 AM NHFT
The Liberty Dollar is a scam.  It claims to be worth $10, and you try to tell people it is, when in fact an ounce of silver is only worth $6.68.  I repeat... one ounce of silver is worth $6.68, not $10.

I've been opposing this scam currency for a long time.  bleh.

Just accept gold and silver bullion as payment like I do.  At least most bullion and coins do not claim to be worth anything more than "one ounce of gold" or silver.  It would be a difficult endeavor indeed to get people to accept pure gold or silver as payment, but it's sure possible.

...but not with the liberty dollar.  At least not honestly.

And the price on an ounce of silver fluctuates day by day, it was $7.30 a few days ago, it has been $9 at a few points this past summer.

Russell Kanning

I have always liked the norfed liberty dollar. There probably are enough exchange places in NH to cover each county already. :)
I do agree with Mike though. I would rather just use any 1 onze gold or silver coin and you could value it however you see fit.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: jcpliberty on January 03, 2005, 02:41 AM NHFT
From the NORFED Website:

But why should I pay twice the price for silver?

Remember, when you accept a $100 Federal Reserve Note, you are trading $100 worth of goods or services for a 3-cent piece of paper, backed by nothing but debt and delusion. Partial-backing with value is infinitely better than zero-backing with debt.

I agree that something worth $6.63 passing for "$10" is infinitely better than something worth nothing passing for $10.  But that does not change the fact that you are giving a coin to people and telling them it's worth $10 when it's not.

Silver never hit $9 this summer as far as I am aware.  As it was increasing in value, NORFED started to talk about doubling the value of the liberty dollar to $20.

If you read the stories on the NORFED website about people who have used the liberty dollar and gotten away with it, some of them even admit that they feel as though they have done something wrong when they actually did something "good".

When you give silver or gold as payment, you can always ask for a markup of the price by a FEW percent over market value because most bullion is worth a little more than pure silver or gold, but we're talking about a few percent here.  I'll give someone a silver coin in return for $7.50 even though silver is only $6.68 because that's value of a coin, not because I'm trying to make a profit.

That's a 12% premium on silver that I pay.  ouch.  But NORFED silver coins go for a 50% premium right now.  The only people who would pay this amount are those who have no idea of the value of precious metals.

Previously circulated silver coins and bullion are best.  That way the premium is much lower.

Russell Kanning

I really like the idea of using previously circulated coins. Or wouldn't it be great to have a real silver coin minted in NH? 8)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: russellkanning on January 03, 2005, 09:18 AM NHFT
I really like the idea of using previously circulated coins. Or wouldn't it be great to have a real silver coin minted in NH? 8)

That would be cool.

But when talking about "previously circulated coins", you have to watch out for the junk silver from the early 1900s.

rothamerica

I like the Liberty Dollar.  it is something to start with, seeing that the US Government went off the gold and silver standard long ago, thus depriving its citizens of a "worthwhile" currency.  I accept it as payment for services in my business, and welcome it most graciously.

Russell Kanning

I try not to be too much of a "purist" about the liberty dollar. The USD is not backed by anything of value, so almost anything is better. :)

rothamerica

I think that we ought to see if the FSP would back the Liberty Dollar and help us to increase its usage here in NH.  Anybody game?

jcpliberty

Quote from: Scott Roth on January 18, 2005, 07:33 PM NHFT
I think that we ought to see if the FSP would back the Liberty Dollar and help us to increase its usage here in NH.  Anybody game?

I'm game!

JP

rothamerica

jcpliberty

Quote from: Scott Roth on January 18, 2005, 08:31 PM NHFT
Somehow, I knew YOU would be! 8)

I think we first must show some sort of sign that we are in this for the long haul, like starting a Regional Currency Office

JP

rothamerica

Lori and I would love to do that, when we can get the finances together.  That way, we would have an inventory of Liberty Dollars at hand and be in a better position to promote them.  So, any ideas for creative financing?