• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I hope you can make it to the Monadnock Porcs meeting this Sunday!

Started by FTL_Ian, November 08, 2006, 10:53 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: DadaOrwell on November 12, 2006, 09:42 PM NHFT
running to win in this case doesn't make much sense
Don't make me smite you on your court date, Dada  >:D

Lloyd Danforth

I've known Richard Lion for a few years.  He has run for a number of local Hartford offices on a 'pot legalization' platform. He was, actually, invited to a debate in the last Mayoral election.  Although he had ample opportunity to offer a Libertarian solution to every problem posed in the debate, he claimed the legalization of MJ would solve the problem.  It was embarrasing.  I didn't bother to go out and vote for him.  I don't know if the other lib in my ward did or not.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hr/hc-5hou1102.artnov02,0,6044310.story

Pat McCotter

Arline Dunlop in Meriden, CT, embarrassed me in a debate with folks running for state rep one year. In answer to a question on healthcare she stated that high colonics would solve everyone's health problems.

She did win the Meriden Record-Journal Deane C. Avery Award for her community activism in 2005, though.

==================
In late May, Libertarian Arline Dunlop was notified that she had been awarded $500 from statewide newspaper The Day, as the winner of the paper's annual Deane C. Avery Award for her community activism.

Dunlop's activities include "speaking during the public comment portions of city council meetings and routinely running for political office on the Libertarian ticket," wrote a reporter for the Record-Journal, her local newspaper.

The award was named for the former editor and publisher of The Day, who was also a member of the state Freedom of Information Commission. It is given annually to a person who advocates for the people's right to information the government wants to keep secret, or who protects the freedom of speech.

Dunlop was nominated for the award by James H. Smith of the Record-Journal, who wrote in his nomination letter that she "loves democracy and honest, open, responsive government."

Dunlop was to be honored during the Connecticut Council on Freedom of Information annual meeting on June 23.

"She marches, she protests, she sits in the offices of the high and mighty for hours, waiting to see them and ask them questions they do not want to answer," Smith said.

Mayor Mark D. Benigni of Meriden ? where Dunlop lives ? has presided over many meetings Dunlop has been involved in. He called her a "tireless advocate for the citizens of Meriden," saying she "works hard to make sure all the citizens of Meriden have a voice."

Dunlop explained that she has been a mayoral candidate in Meriden three times herself ? and plans to run again for that position in November.
==================