• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Speed enforcement trailer ideas

Started by toowm, November 09, 2006, 10:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

toowm

I am soliciting ideas on civil disobedience against my town's speed trailer - the things that show your speed and flash if you are over the limit. So far they have used it on two state highways after the inappropriately lowered the limit. No tickets issued, but this annoying flashing thing.

My fantasy ideas are causing it to cease functioning, or better yet, reprogram it to flash "SPEED UP" but I don't want to physically damage it.

Maybe I can grab some of these leftover candidate signs, turn them over, and write a pithy message before the trailer.

Other ideas?

Quantrill

Hitch the trailer up to a truck, drive it to the police station and drop it off...

error

What model of speed trailer is this? Take a picture...

Turn it sideways.

Insurgent

Quote from: Quantrill on November 09, 2006, 10:21 PM NHFT
Hitch the trailer up to a truck, drive it to the police station and drop it off...

;D Hah! You dropped this--thought you'd like it back!

aries

I love to floor it when I see those things

They dont take your picture or anything, they're just there for the intimidation factor. They posted one in my town at 5 miles below the limit for that area... it was posted at 35 in a 40, right after the limit went down from 55.

My top speed? 71.
What better method of civil disobedience than plain old breaking the law

slim

Well if you want to stop it from working you could always look in to a device that creates a EMP. I wonder if the battery is exposed if so just take the cable off the positive terminal. I also wonder what would happen if you put a peice of paper over the end of the radar gun, the peice of paper could be a flyer for Nhfree.com  >:D

Quantrill

Found this link about "traffic calming" in Concord.
http://www.ci.concord.nh.us/planning/trafficmanagementprogram/concordv2.asp?siteindx=C50,51,05

.pdf file.  page 11.

QuoteADVANTAGES - Effective educational tool.  Good public relations tool.  Encourages speed compliance.  Can reduce speeds temporarily.
DISADVANTAGES - Not an enforcement tool.  Ineffective on multi-lane roadways.  Less effective on high volume streets.  Subject to vandalism.  Limited use in winter months.

This non-enforcement device costs $250 a day!  Are you kidding me!?!?  Excellent use of taxpayer money.   :BangHead:

Also, one of the "special considerations":

QuoteSome motorists may speed up to try to register a high speed
:icon_pirat:

error

Quote from: Quantrill on November 10, 2006, 09:10 PM NHFT
http://www.ci.concord.nh.us/planning/trafficmanagementprogram/concordv2.asp?siteindx=C50,51,05

.pdf file.  page 11.

QuoteADVANTAGES - Effective educational tool.  Good public relations tool.  Encourages speed compliance.  Can reduce speeds temporarily.
DISADVANTAGES - Not an enforcement tool.  Ineffective on multi-lane roadways.  Less effective on high volume streets.  Subject to vandalism.  Limited use in winter months.

This non-enforcement device costs $250 a day!  Are you kidding me!?!?  Excellent use of taxpayer money.   :BangHead:

It's cheaper than having a cop writing tickets, which it says costs $75 an hour, and the fines don't cover his cost...

$75 an hour?!?

Quantrill

The $75 probably would cover the fines if the cop writes 1 ticket per hour.  But since many cops spend time "on the job" going to restaraunts for free food and finding places to park their car so they can nap (I've seen this many times) they probably don't write 8 tickets in an 8 hour shift, thus the report saying it's not cost effective.

But ok, I'd rather have the trailor than cops on patrol.   :icon_pirat:

aries

Quote from: error on November 10, 2006, 09:43 PM NHFT

.pdf file.  page 11.

It's cheaper than having a cop writing tickets, which it says costs $75 an hour, and the fines don't cover his cost...

$75 an hour?!?

Cost of the car, his average hourly pay, or time and a half for overtime, cost of his health and retirement benefits figured in (which are massive, my father's retired from CT and we have a $5 blue cross co-pay for all medications, most surgery, a lot of dental work, etc, for the rest of his life.)

not to mention the donut tab

KBCraig

QuoteDISADVANTAGES - Ineffective on multi-lane roadways.  Less effective on high volume streets.

I've never seen one that wasn't on a high volume multi-lane roadway. I try to use them to check my speedometer, but that's useless, since I'm always surrounded by other cars.

They cause traffic to bunch up just as bad as an actual cop does, and this causes dangerous traffic congestion. Speed isn't nearly as dangerous as fear of traffic tickets is.

Kevin

aries

Quote from: KBCraig on November 11, 2006, 12:54 AM NHFT
QuoteDISADVANTAGES - Ineffective on multi-lane roadways.  Less effective on high volume streets.

I've never seen one that wasn't on a high volume multi-lane roadway. I try to use them to check my speedometer, but that's useless, since I'm always surrounded by other cars.

They cause traffic to bunch up just as bad as an actual cop does, and this causes dangerous traffic congestion. Speed isn't nearly as dangerous as fear of traffic tickets is.

Kevin

They stick em on normal roads all the time in NH. Backroads, rural routes, etc.

Pat McCotter

I think these are better

Of course, the speed bump they are pointing out wouldn't work well in high speed traffic.