• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wierdest misconceptions of libertarianism?

Started by aries, November 11, 2006, 09:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

I've gotten many replies when I told people I am a libertarian, which I now avoid doing, I use words like Capitalist, anarchocapitalist, etc, or just plain old conservative.

But what have you heard people THINK libertarianism is?

I've heard that they're democrat white supremacists

Moderates

The new reform party

Dreepa

Rocketman

Quote from: Dreepa on November 11, 2006, 10:51 AM NHFT
people who don't eat meat.

Yeah, I think we can blame Ron Helwig for that one.  Until I met Ron, I was beginning to think "libertarian" and "vegetarian" were mutually exclusive.  ;)

Dreepa

Quote from: Rocketman on November 11, 2006, 11:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on November 11, 2006, 10:51 AM NHFT
people who don't eat meat.

Yeah, I think we can blame Ron Helwig for that one.  Until I met Ron, I was beginning to think "libertarian" and "vegetarian" were mutually exclusive.  ;)
Denis is also in that crowd.

Kat Kanning

Someone in Winchester thought we wanted to take away everyone's guns.

Michael Fisher

People think "civil libertarians" (i.e. ACLU) when they hear the word.  ::)

Spencer

I generally refer to myself as an anti-government nut.

KBCraig

Ballots here list the party affiliation as "REP", "DEM", "LIB", "GRN", "IND", etc.

I think when people see that "LIB", they think "liberal", which is true of Libertarians in the classical sense, but it completely opposite of the current usage.

Here's an example from the band Rush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Peart
QuoteThe song "2112" focuses on the struggle of an individual against the collectivist forces of a totalitarian state. This became the band's breakthrough release, but also brought unexpected criticism, mainly due to the credit of inspiration Peart gave to Ayn Rand in the liner notes. "There was a remarkable backlash, especially from the English press, this being the late seventies, when collectivism was still in style, especially among journalists," Peart said. "They were calling us 'Junior fascists' and 'Hitler lovers.' It was a total shock to me."

"Junior fascists" and "Hitler lovers" for opposing totalitarian and collectivists states?  :o ::) ::)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 11, 2006, 03:45 PM NHFT
Someone in Winchester thought we wanted to take away everyone's guns.

I blew the opportunity with the people camping next to me at Pfest, but, it is probably a good idea to ask anyone who is negative about the FSP coming to NH exactly what they think it is, explain it to them and then put them in the position of explaining why smaller, cheaper, less intrusive government is a bad idea.

Spencer

Several people have asked me about Lyndon LaRouche when I mention the LP.  I have no idea how these people have come to believe that LaRouche is associated with the LP, but for some reason they do.

Dreepa

Quote from: Spencer on November 12, 2006, 02:33 PM NHFT
Several people have asked me about Lyndon LaRouche when I mention the LP.  I have no idea how these people have come to believe that LaRouche is associated with the LP, but for some reason they do.
Please make sure you mention that Mr LaRouche is a Democrat. ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 12, 2006, 08:21 AM NHFT
I blew the opportunity with the people camping next to me at Pfest

Were those the ones who shouted, "I hope your project fails!" as they pulled out?

Pleasant folks, those.  ;D

Spencer

Quote from: Dreepa on November 12, 2006, 04:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Spencer on November 12, 2006, 02:33 PM NHFT
Please make sure you mention that Mr LaRouche is a Democrat. ;D

I always do.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on November 12, 2006, 06:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 12, 2006, 08:21 AM NHFT
I blew the opportunity with the people camping next to me at Pfest

Were those the ones who shouted, "I hope your project fails!" as they pulled out?

Pleasant folks, those.  ;D

No,  They had been walking away when the woman said that.  The incident did occur after a couple of different, probably, typical libertarian conservasations, between myself and others,  occurred within their hearing.

citizen_142002

It just points to the need for education. This makes me want to use the word more, not less. People need to know what libertarian means before they consider how it aligns with their beliefs and well before they ever vote for a libertarian.

Don't give people too much credit. A sizeable chunk of my high school class would tell you that New York is the capital of the USA. It might have been the people in the bottom 20%, but some of those people are going to vote.