• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Public Surveillance Camera Project

Started by error, November 07, 2006, 03:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/psc_ob.php

The camera taking that photo is HUGE (its actually 3 cameras clustered)

I think hes referring more to cameras that record, not take pictures at an interval, and keep records. Or even ones that do like an every-5 second or 3 second photo, and record it.

error

Generally, yes, though the idea is to record the cameras themselves and to draw attention to them, especially when they've been designed to blend in and not be noticed.

Quantrill

The official purpose for these cameras is what? 
:dontknow:

Michael Fisher

I just want to map out all known surveillance cameras in the area to help people protect their privacy and to make a statement.

For example, all I want is an arrow pointing to every single surveillance camera, public or private, with a very short description of its location and the direction it points.

It would be a normal Google Maps API implementation like the crime map at Case. After spending only a few hours mapping out surveillance cameras in this area of Utah, the map will probably frighten anyone who looks at it.

Private cameras are important to be able to track, because companies such as Wal-Mart release their footage to the media and police regularly.

Maybe if the idea catches on, eventually people will be able to push a button in their cars to send out an alert to others of a nearby speed trap.  :plotting:

error

Hm, yes, there should be a space to record that, too, when it's known.

Michael Fisher

trevyn

Quote from: citizen_142002 on November 12, 2006, 12:57 PM NHFT
I think there is a camera on Rt 101 in Keene. At the lights where Main Street meets 101. It sure looks like a surveillance camera.

I'm not familiar with the area, but just FYI, many cameras at intersections are used only for traffic light control; the video is not usually recorded or sent anywhere.

error

And much of the time they aren't actually cameras but radar guns.

Michael Fisher

Who can someone call to ask what type of cameras they are?

State DOT?

KBCraig

Quote from: error on November 17, 2006, 11:59 PM NHFT

And sometimes they're neither.

Around here, we have "cameras" mounted above the traffic lights, but they're not cameras. They're sensors for the devices that police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks have, to change the traffic signals when they're responding to emergencies.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on November 18, 2006, 12:18 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on November 17, 2006, 11:59 PM NHFT

And sometimes they're neither.

Around here, we have "cameras" mounted above the traffic lights, but they're not cameras. They're sensors for the devices that police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks have, to change the traffic signals when they're responding to emergencies.

Kevin

There are some of those devices in Vermont, but they do not look like cameras.