• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A suggested idea for President's day

Started by Caleb, November 12, 2006, 08:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtDaBear

Also, the great Mr. Lincoln funded and populated his war through liberal use of the income tax and the draft.  It takes a strong government, a lot of money, and a lot of bodies to fight a really big war of the type that kills by the thousands and the millions.  Lincoln achieved all that.

I like to say that he put the U.S. on a Mafia basis:  You can get in, but you can't get out alive. :'(

AlanM

Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 13, 2006, 12:14 PM NHFT
Also, the great Mr. Lincoln funded and populated his war through liberal use of the income tax and the draft.  It takes a strong government, a lot of money, and a lot of bodies to fight a really big war of the type that kills by the thousands and the millions.  Lincoln achieved all that.

I like to say that he put the U.S. on a Mafia basis:  You can get in, but you can't get out alive. :'(

Yep, Lincoln proved that you can get brothers to kill each other, if you don't tell them the real reason they are doing the killing. Wrap it in the flag, that's all you need to do.

David

Ninty  percent of the population believes Lincoln freed the slaves.  You will be called a racist.  And anything that you represent will be tarred as racist. 
Very bad idea.  Lincoln was over a hundred and fifty years ago.  No one will see the conection.  Associations are very important.  Think 'the first impression is the most important'. 
Having said that, having a mural or montag`e of Several presidents that supported the income tax, the draft, or some other monstracity is a good idea. 
I like the idea of using holidays to highlight some evil of gov't. 

Quantrill

QuoteI like the idea of using holidays to highlight some evil of gov't.

:icon_pirat:

KurtDaBear

Maybe what we need to do is take the opposite approach to lynching Lincoln.  Rather than having a negatively themed demonstration about a dangerously activist dead president, possibly the FSP should promote adding to President's Day observances the biggest do-nothing dead president in the nation's history.  (Millard Filmore comes to mind, but I'd have to research that to find out how much harm he might actually have done.)

Maybe my kid (Spencer) can help out here.  He's a whiz on presidential and constitutional affairs (also a major Lincoln-hater, so maybe he won't want to help).

Spencer

Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 13, 2006, 10:55 PM NHFT
Maybe what we need to do is take the opposite approach to lynching Lincoln.  Rather than having a negatively themed demonstration about a dangerously activist dead president, possibly the FSP should promote adding to President's Day observances the biggest do-nothing dead president in the nation's history.  (Millard Filmore comes to mind, but I'd have to research that to find out how much harm he might actually have done.)

Maybe my kid (Spencer) can help out here.  He's a whiz on presidential and constitutional affairs (also a major Lincoln-hater, so maybe he won't want to help).

Our hero should be William Henry Harrison.  He served as president for 30 days.  He died after delivering the longest inaugural address in U.S. history, catching a cold that developed into pneumonia, and death.  He was also the first president to die in office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 13, 2006, 10:55 PM NHFT

The FSP has nothing to do with this.

Dreepa

In NH... It has got to be..... Franklin Pierce......  ;D

Rocketman

KBCraig

Lloyd Danforth

Sorry to dissapoint you, but, I registered to vote in 1972 so I could vote for John Hospers.

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 14, 2006, 06:06 PM NHFT
Sorry to dissapoint you, but, I registered to vote in 1972 so I could vote for John Hospers.

Cool. At least he received an electoral vote.

You know he endorsed GWB in 2004, right?  ;)

KurtDaBear

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 14, 2006, 07:02 AM NHFT
The FSP has nothing to do with this.

Good point and an important distinction. Thanks. :-[

Caleb

QuoteI think it's a good idea.  Are you going to do that?

Well, it wasn't my idea.  I put it on the forum for a Keene resident who doesn't post on the forum (though he lurks.)  Now, said individual doesn't like his idea anymore.

So ... if enough people like it, then I will probably do it. I'm not worried about being called a racist.  No one who knows me thinks I'm a racist, and opinions about me from people who don't know me are irrelavent.

My main concern is the hypocrisy aspect.  Isn't it hypocritical for a pascifist to hang someone, even in effigy?

The word has to get out about Lincoln.  As long as Lincoln can do no wrong, then his legacy can serve to promote any number of big government anti-liberty programs.  This is *not* mere fearful thinking:  politicians routinely evoke his legacy.  A good book on this is Lincoln Unmasked by DiLorenzo.  It would be good if Lincoln's legacy eventually is no more evoked than Hitlers is.

Caleb

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Caleb on November 16, 2006, 07:11 PM NHFT
QuoteI think it's a good idea.  Are you going to do that?

Isn't it hypocritical for a pascifist to hang someone, even in effigy?
Caleb

Could a pascifist downgrade the hanging to... I don't know... an ice water enema?

Or maybe just a "wedgie"... I hesitate  to escalate to the full "atomic wedgie" option. ;D