• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

BarCamp in Manchester this Saturday

Started by Jason Rand, November 15, 2006, 10:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Rand

Anyone else going to attend BarCamp Manchester this Saturday?  I need to be back in Plymouth by 5, but plan to go down for most of the day.  Looks like a lot of good stuff there.  I've been waiting for a BarCamp to come to NH and I almost missed this one.

Jason Rand

These are the session topics from thier wiki:

Building Energy with User Experience - Ian Muir
This session will explain techniques that you can use to improve the User Experience on your websites by using principles of kinetic energy.
3D Animation in a Small Studio - | Kelley Muir
This session will be about the practices and techniques that small 3D studios can do to compete with the big studios.
Drop Your Pants - Everybody
This is an open forum for ideas. Each person will have a chance to share an idea for 3 minutes then the group provides 3 minutes of feedback. This is a great fast-paced way for you to get feedback on your newest projects.
Real World Standards Solutions - Ian Muir
We've all read the 100's of articles on CSS and standards-based design, but for many web designers and developers it's more of a headache than a help. In this session, we will be covering some real world examples on using CSS and Semantic HTML to make your life easier not harder.
Microformats - Presenter TBA
Microformats are a new standard for sharing structured data on the web.
Getting Started with a Business Incubator - | ABI
Learn how a business incubator can make you're idea a reality.
Confessions of a Podcasting Newbie -- Jack Hodgson
About my experiences producing the Uncontrolled Airspace General Aviation podcast. I'm thinking it might be interesting for me to talk about the workflow I go through to create this 'cast. Recording conference call with Skype, processing with Levellator, editing with Audacity, compressing/metatagging with iTunes, hosting with LibSyn, promoting with iTunes Store, Podcast Alley and others.
Marketing for Bootstrappers - Ray Deck
Workshop on bringing in the first dollar of revenue for your startup on the cheap!
Online Crash Reporting for Windows Applications - Dave Plunkett
An overview of BugSplat, a service used to track failures of desktop applications at customer sites.
Building the business side of a business - | Sudha Jamthe
Learn what all needs to be done to take your technology to make it a full business. This is not the same talk I gave at BarCamp, but focusing on all work that needs to be done to scale a company into a real business.
Half-Baked - Everybody
A chance to have some fun. Random phrases and words will be chosen and individuals must come up with an idea for a business or product that uses the words. Whomever comes up with the best/funniest ideas may just won something interesting.
Start A Blog Now - Ian Muir and Others
Learn how to start a blog and use the various tools associated with them. Blogging Tools, common plugins, terms and other topics will be covered.
AJAX as a design tool - Andy Desmarais
We all know about it and we've seen it in action with Google Maps, but what are the major drawbacks of using it?

Jason Rand

BarCamp Manchester was a good time yesterday.  I went to about 6 talks, some of which were over my head, but interesting nonetheless.   I also decided, last minute, to give a talk about Second Life. 

It was pretty rough around the edges, but received well, and of course I gave a little plug for the Gimme Liberty Bar.(suprise, suprise!)  There were others at my talk who had experience with SL, so it turned out to be a good discussion. 

Between sessions, I talked to one guy who was there to recruit tech talent for his company, so I encouraged him to post to this board.

I really liked the BarCamp format, and could imagine doing something similar at PorcFest.  BarCamps are going on all over the country (and world now), so check one out if you have a chance.