• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fully Informed Juries

Started by jcpliberty, January 03, 2005, 03:23 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpliberty

I am sure many of you a have heard of the Fully Informed Jury Association. http://www.fija.org/

Since the right of juries to nullify, etc is not required to be told to the jury by a judge, I think we should try to see what we can do inform juries of this right.

Perhaps standing out infront of the court house one morning a week or month and giving out free Jury Handbooks?

JP

Kat Kanning

Yes!  I've been wanting to do this, too.

jcpliberty

Quote from: katdillon on January 03, 2005, 07:22 AM NHFT
Yes!  I've been wanting to do this, too.

Cool stuff! Great minds think alike  ;)

So, we should figure out how many other people are interested. Perhaps we can write up a schdule to have at least one person per week do this in the morning as jurors are coming in to the court.

JP

Russell Kanning

I really like the idea. Maybe we could be wearing t-shirts and handing out little fliers that lead to their website. :)

jcpliberty

ATTENTION JURORS:

There is important information regarding YOUR RIGHTS as a member of a Grand and/or Trial Jury.

Many courts will not outline these rights as they expect you to know them as part of your CIVIC DUTY.

To learn more about YOUR RIGHTS please visit the Fully Informed Jury Association website at www.fija.org

How does that sound for a flyer?

JP

Kat Kanning

No, they need actual information that day, as they're walking into the courthouse, not later when they can possibly look up a webpage.

Russell Kanning

If we do a one page flyer like that in black and white, we might be able to get that done by Varrin super cheap.
I like the text. We can see how people react to it. :)

jcpliberty

I think Kat is right, they need to have at LEAST a synopsis of their rights....

JP

jcpliberty

I just found contact information for the FIJA in NH.

Dick Marple
[/b]
Phone: (603)627-1837
[/b]
E-Mail: armlaw(a)hotmail.com
[/b]
Address: 11 Dartmouth St, Hooksett, NH 03106
[/b]

I just shot off an email to him telling him that we are discussing FIJA here on the board and that he should come join us. I also asked for more information on what he is already doing with FIJA in NH.

JP

jcpliberty

Erethizon

Quote from: jcpliberty on January 04, 2005, 08:30 AM NHFT
I just found contact information for the FIJA in NH.

Dick Marple
[/b]
Phone: (603)627-1837
[/b]
E-Mail: armlaw(a)hotmail.com
[/b]
Address: 11 Dartmouth St, Hooksett, NH 03106
[/b]

I just shot off an email to him telling him that we are discussing FIJA here on the board and that he should come join us. I also asked for more information on what he is already doing with FIJA in NH.

JP

Maybe he could sponsor some legislation to properly inform juries...

He is a State Rep.

jcpliberty

Interesting, I didn't know that.  That would be great. However, there were two cases that came before the United States Surpreme Court regarding FIJ. They ruled that while jury nullification was a right, that judges did not have to tell the jury that they retained this right. Their argument was that American Citizens are supposed to be informed about their rights on their own.

I tend to agree, government shouldn't have to explain your rights. As I always say (and this is the reason I carry my pocket Constitution with me everywhere I go) IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY.

JP

Russell Kanning

It sure seems silly to have judges instruct the jury about everything else, but not their full rights. They instruct them to not pay attention to evidence that they just heard or saw with their own eyes.  ::)
But you are right JP, we need to inform the juries.

dawn

This is an excellent cause. Glad to see that you've already found the NH FIJA. I think they have a really good brochure that'd be perfect for handing out to jurors. Although I agree that judges should not have to tell you your rights, since you should know them, but I am also under the impression that they often tell the jurors incorrect info about their rights. This has gotta stop!