• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anyone wanna put me up for a week?

Started by burnthebeautiful, November 17, 2006, 01:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

burnthebeautiful

I've decided I wanna do a last-minute one week vacation to the free state some time before christmas. I found a great site that finds cheap tickets and I can get to NY for a few hundred bucks, and from there I'll get the asian bus to Boston, and then a bus up to NH.

I have enough money for the trip and basic stuff like food, but I can only afford it if I can get free accommodation. Anyone wanna put me up for a week? I'll do chores for free. All I need is a couch or a mattress on the floor. I grew up on a farm, I'm not fussy. I don't have much preference as to a specific town. The only thing is I don't have a license and don't know how to drive, so having stuff within walking distance or someone who doesn't mind giving rides (I'll pay for it, we'll work something out) would be nice.

So, anyone want a house guest for a week? :)

- Liam from Sweden

Braddogg

Liam, I'm begging you, don't take the Fung-Wah (Asian) bus to Boston.  Take a Greyhound.  If you want/need, I'll foot the bill for the difference.

aries

Quote from: Braddogg on November 17, 2006, 01:41 AM NHFT
Liam, I'm begging you, don't take the Fung-Wah (Asian) bus to Boston.  Take a Greyhound.  If you want/need, I'll foot the bill for the difference.

I've taken fung-wah before, it's not that bad. I did a day trip to NYC with some friends. Parked way outside boston for cheap, took the T in, and got on the bus.

What's wrong with it anyway? So they had one accident... or two, planes crash and people still fly 747s.

Braddogg

The buses have been known to go up in flames.  The US DOT (for what it's worth) listed the Fung Wah as one of the worst buses in the country for safety.  Just shell out the extra $20 and be safe, I say.

Ah, the glories of the free market :)

burnthebeautiful

The bus possibly going up in flames just makes it more exciting :)

error

Heh. I think you have to buy the tickets for the cheap Asian buses online, but they're significantly cheaper than Greyhound ($20 versus $35). In Boston they stop at South Station, but in NYC they don't usually go to Port Authority but to various other parts of the five boroughs. So check that well.

In Boston, you'll get tickets for Vermont Lines and Concord Trailways (I STILL HATE THESE PEOPLE) at the Greyhound side of the Greyhound/Peter Pan counter, and Peter Pan tickets at the Peter Pan side. Between them, you should be able to get to just about anywhere in NH from Boston, though getting from one place in NH to another is tricky at best, virtually impossible at worst. You can't go directly from Concord to Keene, for instance. You can check integrated schedules for all four lines from www.greyhound.com .

aries

For the cost of all these bus tickets you might be better off paying a little more to fly into MHT

Dreepa

Quote from: aries on November 17, 2006, 02:36 PM NHFT
For the cost of all these bus tickets you might be better off paying a little more to fly into MHT
Flying to NYC from Europe can be really cheap (certain tickets).

Burn.... what are the dates?

burnthebeautiful

The busses from NYC to NH will only cost me a few tens of dollars, whereas flying into Boston or Manchester is like $500 more expensive than flying into NYC.

I can't book the ticket until I know someone can put me up, so there are no dates yet. Whatever works for the person who will have me.

Braddogg

Maybe you could fly into NYC and then take a shuttle plane to Manchester?

burnthebeautiful

There really aren't any advantages to flying in, a bus only costs like 20 bucks and only takes 4 hours. I have the traveling part down, what I need help with is accommodation.

Braddogg

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 18, 2006, 10:38 AM NHFT
There really aren't any advantages to flying in, a bus only costs like 20 bucks and only takes 4 hours. I have the traveling part down, what I need help with is accommodation.

Hah, anyone else see a parallel to the liberty movement in general?  We keep trying to perfect the one aspect of the plan that seems taken care of already instead of solving the problem that needs fixing  ;)

burnthebeautiful

Traveling is in my genes. I come from a long line of people who love traveling and going on vacations. It's how my Australian father and Swedish mother met - they were both in Thailand while backpacking throughout the world. I flew alone from Sweden to Australia when I was 14. So yeah, I have traveling down pat.

I understand it's weird to agree to let a complete stranger into your home, but I won't be a hassle, I promise :)

KBCraig

I'd gladly offer you a spot, but you couldn't see much of NH from Texas.  :(

burnthebeautiful

You'd be surprised, I have long toes, I can get some pretty good views on tippy-toe (I don't actually have long toes, I just wanted to make that joke).

So, anyone?