• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anyone wanna put me up for a week?

Started by burnthebeautiful, November 17, 2006, 01:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

I wish I had something for you but unfortunately my only home is a cramped dorm room

You could stay there on a weekend, i go home weekends

Insurgent

Liam--

New Hampshire is not a state to visit if you're planning to travel on foot. There are no real major metropolitan areas; NH is a state comprised of small seperate towns. Population density is low and everything is spread out. There is hardly any public transportation and Greyhound service is limited.

Manchester and Concord can be explored by pedestrian travel, but you're going to need vehicular transport if you want to explore the rest of the state.

We live in Deerfield and you'd be welcome to stay here, but we're 25 miles from any larger towns. Word to the wise.

burnthebeautiful

I was in NH in July and experienced the lack of public transportation first hand. I plan on coming to NH when I get my drivers license in about a year (That's about how long it takes to get a license in Sweden...), but I miss NH too much to wait that long. This trip would just be a one-week thing to get out of the house. As I said a return flight to NYC only costs a few hundred bucks, so it's not a huge investment, it's something I can afford to do a few times a year.

I'll gladly take up your offer to stay with you in Deerfield if it's a serious offer :)

eques

Y'know, I'm in Ashland, which is 10 minutes from Plymouth, 20(?) minutes from Campton, 45 minutes from Concord, 60 minutes from Manchester, and 2 hours from Plymouth and Keene (more or less).  I have a bed that I'm planning to clean and sell at some point (it's just sweat stains--honest), but I don't see a problem with you staying here.  But, yeah, if you wanted to go somewhere, I'd have to drive you (unless you were to walk through Ashland, which really only takes about 15 minutes ;)).  Maybe you could stay here a night or two, bouncing around the state.  Has that crossed your mind as a possibility?

[Edit] - the offer of a night or two is due to this location being fairly remote and my uncertainty whether I'll be able to shuttle you to the cities on a regular basis.  Also--I have a vacation coming up from the 22nd to the 29th of December, so if your trip overlaps with that, I wouldnt be able to help out.

burnthebeautiful

Is Ashland near Winnipesaukee? I'm content just hanging out in a park listening to music or reading a book, I don't have much desire to visit Manchester or the cities in general. When I visited NH, my favourite places were Weirs Beach and North Conway. I'm 20, so I can't enjoy the "night life" of the big cities anyway. I wouldn't mind being taken shooting though :)

A few nights in Ashland and a few nights in Deerfield would probably work out well.

eques

Ashland's just down the road from Squam Lake, which is northwest of Lake Winnipesaukee.  Depending where you wanted to go around the lake, it could be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or more (Google Earth overestimates driving time in New Hampshire, so Alton is probably about 45 minutes from here, which is right on the southernmost tip of the lake).

I can't take you shooting--I don't have a gun nor the practice.  :'(  But maybe the folks in Deerfield can help you out.

Weirs Beach looks to be about a 30-minute drive, and North Conway looks to be more like 90 minutes from here, but again, that's Google Earth's estimate.

Can you give an estimate on when you're planning to be here?  As I mentioned, we may well be leaving around the 22nd of December (assuming I get the contract I'm jockeying for) and will be gone about a week or so.

Erk... I just thought of something.  We're going to have to ask somebody to take care of our cat for a week... hm.  But that's unrelated to your situation, burnthebeautiful.  :)

burnthebeautiful

My estimate is 7-8 days somewhere inbeteen November 25th and December 20th.

eques

Well, we've confirmed our outbound flight for December 21, so just let me know when you're planning to be in the country, I guess.

burnthebeautiful

Insurgent

Sure, you're welcome to stay here as well. We can shoot on our property, too! Accomodations are just a sleeping bag on the floor in the office, but hey it's free! We live in the country, so I'm sure that the super would appreciate help with some chores. You can stay as long as you like.

--Jeremy

eques

Not sure we really have any chores for you to do... we live in a beat-up old building, renting from another FSPer... hmm...

Oh, I should mention this: we have a cat.  If you're allergic, that might be an issue.  And the prior tenants to us smoked, and I think the people downstairs smoke and that seeps into our apartment.  So if you've got serious problems with cigarette smoke, you might have issues here.

But if you're hardy, you'll have a relatively comfortable mattress to sleep on or, if you're short, a loveseat from IKEA.  ;)  We've also got a sleeping bag, so if you're into the floor, that'll work, too.  Heh.

Ron Helwig

Echoing Insurgent/Jeremy, yes we have chores! Ever use a chainsaw before?  :)

Are you OK with dogs? Otis is usually OK with adults.

I know where the bus station is in Manchester, so if you can get there then I can pick you up.

I think we have enough guns and ammo to please most people.

Tim Saylor was just here for a week. You might ask his opinion of the accomodation  :tent:

burnthebeautiful

I love animals, especially dogs. I actually have some dog withdrawal symptoms at the moment since my own dog passed away few months ago. I really miss my buddy, being 20 and getting him as a puppy we'd had the dog since I was 7 or 8 and I grew up with him. But I don't wanna get all emo.
I don't mind cigarette smoke. I occasionally smoke a cigarette or two myself, but it's not a regular thing and I can easily abstain if it's an issue.

What towns are you 3 in? I suddenly find myself in the position of having to choose :) I can't state how much I appreciate your hospitality :)

Ron Helwig

Insurgent and I are roommates, along with Carl, Morey, and Anthony. (I'm the owner of the property).
We are in Deerfield.
Pictures here:
http://www.soulawakenings.com/underground/tikiwiki/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=56
I do still need to update the gallery with the work our newest state rep Joel did in the basement.

Smoking in the house is an evictable offense, but out on the deck is OK.

Part time here and part time in Ashland could be cool too.

eques

If you need to burn one, I'd appreciate it if you did it outside.  I can tolerate the residue, but I'd rather not have it going inside.