• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anyone wanna put me up for a week?

Started by burnthebeautiful, November 17, 2006, 01:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

burnthebeautiful

Alright, now that I have some definite offers I'm ready to book my flight. Does November 27th - December 6th work for you guys? There's also a December 7 - 17th flight for the same price.

I'll need to be picked up at a bus station. Public transportation can get me to bus stations in Manchester, Concord, Dover, Portsmouth and about a dozen other towns, see http://www.concordtrailways.com/new_hampshire_bus_schedule.htm

Insurgent

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 19, 2006, 10:48 PM NHFT
Alright, now that I have some definite offers I'm ready to book my flight. Does November 27th - December 6th work for you guys? There's also a December 7 - 17th flight for the same price.

I'll need to be picked up at a bus station. Public transportation can get me to bus stations in Manchester, Concord, Dover, Portsmouth and about a dozen other towns, see http://www.concordtrailways.com/new_hampshire_bus_schedule.htm

So far it looks like either time would work, for us. There's not much happening on the liberty calendar so far, although if you came the later option you could at least hit the Concord Porc meeting. Usually a dozen or so people show up to that.

Do you like to party? We need to throw one soon, anyways. I'll be working on-call during the first option so I wouldn't be able to party then, not that it's a decider for you!

Also, I would recommend coming in to Concord rather than Manchester as it's a smaller and more low-key city. They have a nice big bus station there with plenty of parking, and it's a little closer to us.

We don't have much within walking distance aside from a convenience store, a restaurant and public library; if that's a deciding factor for you. It's a cool property, though as you can see in the pictures and we're a fun bunch  :icon_pirat:

eques

If you want to head up to Ashland first, I can probably pick you up out of Plymouth, and if I'm out of town when you come in, at least you can hang out in Plymouth for a while until I can come up to get you.  But that probably depends on whether you can figure out how to use that unholy bus schedule to get up this way.

Otherwise, I'd follow what Insurgent recommends and head into Concord, making Ashland later on.  Either way works, I don't think I have any scheduling conflicts either way.

error

Concord has a nice big GOVERNMENT OWNED bus station! WTF, over!

burnthebeautiful

Alright, it's done. Just booked the December 7th - 17th flight. I'm scheduled to arrive in NYC at noon. Gotta love the 6 hour time difference, when I arrive in NYC it's only 3 hours later than when I left.

I'm worshiping the fact that it's a direct flight. Travels that involve connecting flights are such a huge pain in the ass, you have to sit at the airport in some random European country bored out of your skull for an endless amount of time waiting for your connecting flight, and sometimes your originating flight is late and you miss your connecting flight and BAH. But this is a direct flight so it's just step on the plane in Copenhagen, get off the plane in NYC. So much easier.

Although I have just realized that by the time I arrive in Boston, the last bus to NH will have probably already left, so I'm probably in for a camp-out at some Boston caf? until the next morning.

Free State here I come ;D

I indeed do like to party, and as long as the convenience store sells Dr Pepper and the restaurant sells meals with beef, I'm good to go. The property does indeed look cool :)

error

Ha. I know nothing about 24-hour caf?s in Boston. But there's at least one 24-hour Starbucks in Manhattan.

Be sure to allow at least two hours to clear customs when you arrive here. And don't be surprised if you get the third degree.

burnthebeautiful

Speaking of which, I need an address to write down. When you're on the airplane they make you fill out a form where you, besides promising you weren't involved with the Germans or their allies during WW2, write down the address of the place you're staying the first night.

When I went to NH last time I didn't know the address of the place I'd be staying the first night because the whole point of the trip was for it to be spontaneous, so I kind of panicked. I'd figured I'd stay at the YMCA but didn't know the address. After getting off the plane I went to information and told the lady my predicament, and she gave me the address to one of the YMCAs and told me it was fine to write that down. You hand the form to a bureaucrat and he quizzes you on the information pretending that he's just making small talk. He's like "Oh so you're visiting New Hampshire, that's nice, gonna be staying with friends?", making it sound like he's just being friendly when he's actually quizzing you to make sure you tell him the same stuff you wrote down.

So anyway the moral of my story is I need an address to write down.

Braddogg

The last Concord Trailways bus for Manchester/Concord leaves at 10:15 PM.  Before that is a 8:15 and a 7:15.  Think you'll be able to make it?  If not, let me know.  I live on the outskirts of Boston, so I could either give you a ride or you could take a 50-minute train ride and crash at my place for the night.  I'll see what I can do to help out.

Insurgent

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 20, 2006, 12:10 AM NHFT
Alright, it's done. Just booked the December 7th - 17th flight. I'm scheduled to arrive in NYC at noon. Gotta love the 6 hour time difference, when I arrive in NYC it's only 3 hours later than when I left.

I'm worshiping the fact that it's a direct flight. Travels that involve connecting flights are such a huge pain in the ass, you have to sit at the airport in some random European country bored out of your skull for an endless amount of time waiting for your connecting flight, and sometimes your originating flight is late and you miss your connecting flight and BAH. But this is a direct flight so it's just step on the plane in Copenhagen, get off the plane in NYC. So much easier.

Although I have just realized that by the time I arrive in Boston, the last bus to NH will have probably already left, so I'm probably in for a camp-out at some Boston caf? until the next morning.

Free State here I come ;D

I indeed do like to party, and as long as the convenience store sells Dr Pepper and the restaurant sells meals with beef, I'm good to go. The property does indeed look cool :)

Cool. I'll send you the address as a PM.

There's a couple other things happening during that time you may find interest in all happening on the 16th; the UN flag burn and the Seacoast Porc meeting.  Also, Boston 9/11 Truth to Stage 9/11 Truth Tea Party December 16th in Boston, MA. Later that night a great metal band, Children of Bodom, are playing near there. Can't hit them all, so I plan to hit the last two.

burnthebeautiful

I should be able to make one of those evening busses. I'm scheduled to arrive in Newark at noon, so hopefully I'll be in Boston some time in the late afternoon/early evening.

Jason Rand

Liam, I can offer a couch in Plymouth, which is 45 mins north of Concord.  I live near Eques, who is in Ashland (he's actually my tenant).  You will not be dissapointed if you come stay with me for any part of your stay.  You will wake up to a stunning 180 degree view of mountains and fields.  (I am the caretaker at this new vacation house, and live in the downstairs apartment with one other housemate.) I don't have a 9-5 job, so I am mostly working on freedom and activist projects, Second Life stuff (I'm the self appointed chief evangelist for the Gimme Liberty Bar), and getting things going in the Plymouth Area.  If there were some other porcupine/freedom events that you wanted to attend in other parts of the state, then I might like to go too.  So, I'm sure we could arrange rides.  Plymouth is a college town, dominated by Plymouth State University.  For hanging out, there is a nice common (although its getting pretty cool for just sitting outside), Main St. coffee shop with wireless, and college library with public access internet.  Also, I go into town most every day to a computer shop where I have a makeshift 'office' and do most of my work (unfortunately I can't get high speed internet access up on the hill where I live, and I haven't shelled out for satelite internet yet.)  So, you could get a ride with me into town and explore while I worked on things.

We recently had our first area meeting (Eques was there too), and have a number of energized people who would love to meet you.  Almost certainly we would try to have an area get-together while you were here.  If you are into rock climbing, we are near a world famous climbing area (Rumney) and I could take you there for some bouldering or top roping (if it wasn't too cold; otherwise the local Rock Barn is good for indoor climbing).  

I believe that the Concord Trailways bus stops in Plymouth too.

burnthebeautiful

I think what I'll do is go up to Insurgents place and then see what happens from there. I can always get on the forum at their place.

Insurgent

What a nice devlopment--to go from searching for a free place to stay, to having to choose between them!

Come on up, we'd love to have you. Stay as long as you like and maybe travel around some more, if you so choose. We don't want to hog you from the others :P

John

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 20, 2006, 12:10 AM NHFTDr Pepper

Just getting to this thread and thought I'd quote that for those who know . . .  ;D

John