• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FreeTalkLive.com is Down

Started by FTL_Ian, November 20, 2006, 02:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Hm, in retrospect, maybe it was a bad idea to put the FTL web site on Clear Channel's old email server... ;D

Okay, I'm kidding. But it seems like major outages like this only happen to sites running Windows....

That couldn't possibly have anything to do with it, right? er... :icon_crashcomp:

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 20, 2006, 11:29 PM NHFT
I know he really works for free, I said thank him for me because I figured you were chatting with him directly Ian..jeeze. I used to IM with him all the time but I haven't seen him in forever on YM or on the FTL message board. Guess I'll e-mail him then.

He likes to hide, is why you don't see him.  He's the radio monkey.   :icon_pirate:

FTL_Ian

Quote from: error on November 20, 2006, 11:39 PM NHFT
Hm, in retrospect, maybe it was a bad idea to put the FTL web site on Clear Channel's old email server... ;D

Okay, I'm kidding. But it seems like major outages like this only happen to sites running Windows....

That couldn't possibly have anything to do with it, right? er... :icon_crashcomp:

I don't know what his non-windows experience is.  It was running windows.   :o

error

All I know is I would never run a serious web site, from which I intended to make money, on Windows. And if I don't know something I need to know, then I go learn it fast.

And while I've had outages, they've measured in minutes, and rarely hours, (e.g. when a third-party provider fails) but never days.

KBCraig

Quote from: error on November 21, 2006, 12:04 AM NHFT
All I know is I would never run a serious web site, from which I intended to make money, on Windows.

I own and manage two domains, both of which are strictly for hobby and fun. When I picked hosting services, my first criterion was "no Windows servers!"

Kevin

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 21, 2006, 12:00 AM NHFT

Ian,
On the FTL board I posted to you more than once about the "proper" setup -- RAID+5, and hot backups.
It's not that expensive to do, an ensures this kind of thing will never happen again.

slim

Quote from: d_goddard on November 21, 2006, 12:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 21, 2006, 12:00 AM NHFT

Ian,
On the FTL board I posted to you more than once about the "proper" setup -- RAID+5, and hot backups.
It's not that expensive to do, an ensures this kind of thing will never happen again.

Raid 5 has the disadvatage of slow writes to the disks. I would suguest that it should use RAID 1 or Raid 10. Raid 10 is a bit expensive because to do RAID 10 you need a minimum of 4 disks. Raid 1 is mirroring so you need only 2 disks. I would also like to warn that I would not use windows to perform the Raid the performance of the OS will suffer. You can pick up some hardware Raid for a fairly low cost.

FTL_Ian

Well, maybe not, as this happened as a result of the system getting corrupted, so no amount of RAID would have been the solution.

Torgo and I will be discussing server redundancy later today.

money dollars

You guys need to look into hardware that has Lights Out Managment (LOM) capabilities....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_out_management

JonM

Quote from: money dollars on November 21, 2006, 03:07 PM NHFT
You guys need to look into hardware that has Lights Out Managment (LOM) capabilities....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_out_management
Welcome back fisher!  So good to see you return [again]!

FTL_Ian

error

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 21, 2006, 02:00 PM NHFT
Well, maybe not, as this happened as a result of the system getting corrupted, so no amount of RAID would have been the solution.

So it WAS Windows! You should discuss getting rid of that plague on your server. ;D

error

freetalklive.com is down. I sent a note to Ian to see if he can find out why.

Skooma

Que malo. Es los fedurales!

j/k... I hope.

error

Los fedurales? I don't know who they are. But I hope it isn't los federales either!