• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Smoking airline to be launched

Started by burnthebeautiful, November 21, 2006, 04:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

burnthebeautiful

I just found out about this today while trying to find out what airlines in the world still allowed smoking. Mexican Airlines and Russian airlines still allow smoking was the result of my research, by the way. Anyway, while doing my research, I found this:

http://www.columbian.com/opinion/news/11162006news77113.cfm

QuoteSMINTAIR is an airline coming to a destination near you (it hopes). What's different about the airline, formed by former German investment banker Alexander W. Schoppmann?
For starters, "SMINTAIR reinstates the liberty of smoking in all seats," the company's Web site (smintair.com) says. "Non-smokers will find the cabin air more refreshing than on any other flight with any other airline, as SMINTAIR adds fresh outside air to the conditioning system! This is more expensive, as it burns more fuel, but it is seen as an additional service to our guests." The airline also promises to spend more on passenger nourishment and give more seating space to each customer. (I know some people who might even take up smoking if promised more leg room.)
I almost thought the proposed airline was a hoax when I read this line: "Charming and beautiful flight attendants in uniforms designed by famous couturiers are there to take the very best care of you. Every two years, a new designer will be elected to keep the uniform design a la mode."
And I shook my head when I read that SMINTAIR dismisses the danger of second-hand smoke as "the biggest scam of all time."
But SMINTAIR appears to be a legitimate attempt to take back the friendly skies for smokers. And I wish the airline well. Its first flight (Dusseldorf to Tokyo to Shanghai) is scheduled for Oct. 28, 2007.
It is up to individual airlines to determine their smoking policies. And state and country bans on smoking should hold no jurisdiction over international flights. But Ian Willmore, a spokesman for a United Kingdom-based anti-smoking lobby group, says he hopes the airline never takes off. He told CNN, "I hope that it will be stopped by the German government as they move toward a smoking ban in public places. I hope that onboard a plane is considered a public place."
When I asked SMINTAIR how it would combat such legislative attempts, the company responded: "We will neglect those ridiculous laws, await prosecution and win."
Hoo-haa! The airline's resolve is addictive.
I probably won't ever fly SMINTAIR. But I can't help but root for an airline whose founder argues, "In these days of continuous cuts to personal freedom, political- and self-restrain, a refuge of tranquillity and relaxation is in utter need."

I hope they start offering more flights, seeing as I have no interest in visiting Tokyo. A flight to New York could be in order.

error

Yes, they're very much for real.
http://smintair.com/

As for the anti-smoking Nazis, they can all go jump in the river.

mvpel

All airplanes add bleed air to the cabin, I assume these guys just do it more aggressively on their planes.

Dreepa

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 21, 2006, 04:18 PM NHFT
A flight to New York could be in order.
I think that they would either not allow smoking or make them stop smoking when you hit USAirspace... FAA rules I think.

Transition Force

Kick Ass!

Now the question I have is will all legal forms of smoking be allowed? For example, while I certainly understand why they wouldn't let you light up a joint, would they allow cigars or smokable legal herbs other than Tobacco?

For me, the question is simply theoretical, because I don't smoke 'em, but I'd rather do buisness with a pro-liberty airline.

burnthebeautiful

They'll certainly allow cigar smoking. The airline is marketing itself as "luxury" airline, selling luxury foods and bigger, more comfortable seats and whatnot. Letting people smoke cigars is part of the luxury concept.

The problem with drugs on planes is that while you wouldn't be breaking the law while in international air, you'd be breaking the law the second the airplane entered a country. I believe the way it works with airplanes is the airplane follows the laws of the country the airline is in. The only way you notice this today is the drinking age on international flights. The drinking age on an international flight is whatever the drinking age is in the country the airline is from. When I flew to Boston they served me a jack and coke at 19 because it was a German-owned airline/airplane.