• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Supreme Court: LPNH not discriminated against

Started by error, November 24, 2006, 09:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Minor+parties+lose+election+law+challenge&articleId=77170180-f935-456c-920e-720792c51b48

Minor parties lose election law challenge

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Thursday, Nov. 23, 2006

Concord ? The Libertarian Party was not discriminated against when the state Legislature made it tougher for minor parties to get on the ballot, the state Supreme Court ruled.

Tuesday's ruling upheld a lower court decision to dismiss a lawsuit by the Libertarians, the Constitution Party of New Hampshire and the Coalition for Free and Open Elections.

Under state law, a party must get a certain percentage of the votes in a statewide election to be allowed to run a full slate of candidates on the next ballot. If the party doesn't meet that threshold, it has to collect the signatures of 3 percent of the total number of voters to get on the ballot.

The minor parties challenged a 1997 amendment that increased the percentage of votes cast in the previous election from 3 to 4 percent, arguing the Legislature raised the bar "for the sole purpose of eliminating the Libertarian Party as a viable challenger to the Republican Party."

During oral arguments before the court in July, lawyer Paul Twomey said petitions were a costly and burdensome alternative, because a minor party would have to gather more than 20,000 signatures.

burnthebeautiful

Wow, Swedish law is much better on this.

* 1500 signatures to get a "copywrite" on your parties name
* No requirements whatsoever to have ballots printed and distribute them to polling places yourself.
* 1% of the votes and next election the government distributes your parties ballots to every polling place in the country
* 4% you get in the parliament

Braddogg

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 28, 2006, 10:43 PM NHFT
Wow, Swedish law is much better on this.

* 1500 signatures to get a "copywrite" on your parties name
* No requirements whatsoever to have ballots printed and distribute them to polling places yourself.
* 1% of the votes and next election the government distributes your parties ballots to every polling place in the country
* 4% you get in the parliament

A system of proportional representation would be nice in America.

error

Hm, that smells a lot like democracy. Not so sure I want any of that.

Lex

Quote from: error on November 29, 2006, 03:03 AM NHFT

You don't want a mob to decide how you should live your life? What's wrong with you!  ;)

error

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on November 29, 2006, 07:35 AM NHFT
Quote from: error on November 29, 2006, 03:03 AM NHFT

You don't want a mob to decide how you should live your life? What's wrong with you!  ;)

I didn't believe everything they told me in public school.