• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Atheist soldier claims harassment

Started by Jim Johnson, April 26, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

I dislike the military as much as anyone, but does this guy really have a case, when you look at it objectively?

Basically, he has two points:

1)  I felt that I couldn't come out as an atheist.

Ok ... that's on you, right? I mean, am I looking at it wrong? This isn't saying anybody did anything to him, only that he felt a certain way.  Ok. That's good. It's nice to acknowledge your feelings.

2)  A superior threatened me for holding a gathering of atheists.  But, even though this guy was a really low ranking person, and I had ample opportunity to file a grievance, I neglected to do so. I shunned all internal forms that were available to me and immediately jumped to the courts. But hey, I must be a great guy, cause some lawyer with a financial stake in my case called me a hero.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Caleb on April 27, 2008, 12:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 27, 2008, 07:08 AM NHFT
When I was in Basic Training, they had a hard time wrapping their heads around 'No Preference' which was the only non-religion reference, but, they had a real hard time with my refusal to buy US Savings bonds ;D

I'm not sure I understand this. Is there some unwritten rule that people in the military are supposed to buy US Savings bonds?

Yes... well not a rule, but unwritten heavy pressure.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on April 27, 2008, 03:24 PM NHFT
When I was in Basic Training, they had a hard time wrapping their heads around 'No Preference' which was the only non-religion reference, but, they had a real hard time with my refusal to buy US Savings bonds ;D

I'm not sure I understand this. Is there some unwritten rule that people in the military are supposed to buy US Savings bonds?

Yes... well not a rule, but unwritten heavy pressure.

You don't hate America, do you?

Caleb

ReverendRyan

Quote from: Caleb on April 27, 2008, 12:11 PM NHFT
2)  A superior threatened me for holding a gathering of atheists.  But, even though this guy was a really low ranking person, and I had ample opportunity to file a grievance, I neglected to do so. I shunned all internal forms that were available to me and immediately jumped to the courts. But hey, I must be a great guy, cause some lawyer with a financial stake in my case called me a hero.

I don't know about the military specifically, but most every mediation protocol allows you to bypass those in the chain with conflicts of interest or whom you are uncomfortable dealing with or fear retribution from.

If the military protocol is the same, he may truly feel that no matter how high up the chain he went, it would adversely affect him. In that case, taking it to court is the appropriate response.

And if that isn't part of the protocol, it's just evidence of corruption, and he's still justified in taking it to court to avoid that.

Pat McCotter

Yep, and contribute to United Way "so we have 100% participation."