• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Seacost school opinions

Started by Teebs, November 30, 2006, 12:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Teebs

Hello!

My family is getting ready to make the move to NH in about 9 months and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice/opinions about a few schools in the seacoast area.  I have been researching two schools systems, the Oyster River School district and Coe Brown Northwood Academy.  Does anyone have any first hand experience with these schools?  I kind of like the Coe Brown Academy a bit better because it seems to be run like a private school even though it still seems to be a public school.  Does anyone know if Coe Brown accepts any federal funds?  If so what kind of funds and what programs do they have to implement for accepting these funds?  What do people think about Oyster River?  Based on the NH state school reports it seems to be one of the top schools in NH but I'm a bit concerned because it operates as a standard public school and I don't feel too comfortable trusting a school like that.  I'm also considering a christian K-8 school in Barrington called The Good Shepherd School.  Never in my life did I think I would consider sending my kids to a christian school but something about that school is catching my eye.  I'm not sure if it is the slick web site but it certainly has caught my attention for a private school in the seacoast area.

Anyway... Any opinions/advice for these schools and others in the area would be appreciated..

Oh...Also,  Has there been any discussion about starting a private/charter "Liberty oriented" school in NH?  I'm sure as more people move to NH as part of the FSP this will come up but I was wondering if anyone was already talking about it.

Live Free or Die,
Teebs

Kat Kanning

Recumbent ReCycler

Today I found out that some Oyster River high school students take classes at UNH-Durham.  My Physics 2 professor told us that the average grade for the last exam was about 60%, and the only student who got a perfect grade was an Oyster River High School student, not a regular UNH student.  I've heard of The Good Shepherd School, but know very little about it.  A friend of mine told me that he wants to send his daughter there.  Oyster River students can get pizza for $1/slice from my favorite pizza place, Durham House of Pizza.  I wish I had more info for you.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Teebs on November 30, 2006, 12:57 AM NHFT

Does anyone know if Coe Brown accepts any federal funds? 
What do people think about Oyster River? .
Has there been any discussion about starting a private/charter "Liberty oriented" school in NH? 

I do know one person who lives in the Oyster River area who is very involved in education reform and he speaks highly of that district.

All of the government schools that I know of willingly accept federal funds...

Here is the small list of all the charter schools in NH
http://www.nhschoolreform.org/Complete%20Charter%20School%20Listing.htm

5000 choices of what kind of toilet paper you want to use but so few choices when it comes to schools.

I am in the planning stage of starting a charter school currently -- It will take me another couple of years to open (there are so many ifs right now).  There are a couple of educator freestaters involved and hopefully they will be employed as the liberty minded teachers.  My contingency plan is to start a private school, if the charter is not approved.

I am glad to share with you all that I know about schools in NH. 

I'll look forward to meeting you in NH.