• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

computer needed

Started by Russell Kanning, November 30, 2006, 01:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We would like to get Kat a faster computer for Christmas. I don't know the specs on her current model, but I bet it will not be hard to find a newer one. Do you have an older computer you want to give/sell?

error

Well, I wasn't going to sell my current desktop computer until just before I moved up there...

Ear

The desired specs of a computer depend on what you're going to be doing with it, and what operating system you prefer to run... could you elaborate on these things, please?

I will root around my parts pile and see if I can put something together, if you're willing to pay shipping from California.

Russell Kanning

I don't know Kat's needs specifically .... and she uses windows right now.

Someday I need a newer one. I just use my computer to wander around the internet, listen to music, watch film clips, and run openoffice. I use linux.

error

Kat might consider dropping in and telling us all what she needs. :)

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 01, 2006, 02:30 AM NHFT
I use linux.

I would have given you karma, but I can't do that more than once every 12 hours! :(

Kat Kanning

Right now I'm using a Pentium II, running Win98, 128MB ram.  Mostly all I use it for is Office programs, drawing programs, and internet.  It's starting to be annoying because I can't update to the latest software, like Adobe Reader.  Right now I have a 6GB hard drive, which is annoyingly small.  With all the photos and stuff for the newspaper, I'm always having to scramble for disk space.  I don't know exactly what I'd like to buy, except that I'd like something newer/bigger/etc.  I'm not troubled by slow.

error

How much are you looking to spend?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: error on December 01, 2006, 03:08 AM NHFT
Kat might consider dropping in and telling us all what she needs. :)

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 01, 2006, 02:30 AM NHFT
I use linux.

I would have given you karma, but I can't do that more than once every 12 hours! :(

Karma givin' to Russell for you

Kat Kanning

Quote from: error on December 01, 2006, 07:28 AM NHFT

Around $100. That's what Russell figured we could find something decent on ebay for.

error

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 02, 2006, 09:02 AM NHFT
Quote from: error on December 01, 2006, 07:28 AM NHFT

Around $100. That's what Russell figured we could find something decent on ebay for.

Hmm. For $100 you may be able to upgrade a little bit over what you have now, but you won't get anything close to current technology. :( And you may find yourself shopping again in a few months, maybe even sooner.

I'll keep my eyes open around here.