• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Group fights against "the tax Pledge"

Started by KBCraig, December 06, 2006, 12:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Roycerson

Quote from: FrankChodorov on December 13, 2006, 04:46 PM NHFT
I believe the spokesperson was very upfront on the show about the fact that they just wanted to open the debate up and that the pledge closes debate...

And you bought that? 

he said he would like to have Dave sponsor a forum in Keene and he would come to discuss the issue...

Clearly he can't can't do that.  The debate is closed cuz of that pledge.

The two statements are mutually exclusive.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Roycerson on December 13, 2006, 05:02 PM NHFT
I believe the spokesperson was very upfront on the show about the fact that they just wanted to open the debate up and that the pledge closes debate...

And you bought that? 

he said he would like to have Dave sponsor a forum in Keene and he would come to discuss the issue...

Clearly he can't can't do that.  The debate is closed cuz of that pledge.

The two statements are mutually exclusive.

what he was saying is that they are not arguing for any particular tax position in opposition to property tax except that the pledge closes off debate.

I think the property tax as constituted is regressive but the working poor don't vote and the other side is not arguing that point but rather local control via the property tax keeps taxes lower than otherwise (which I agree) would occur.

burnthebeautiful

I don't have a problem with debate being closed off. The less people talk about introducing new taxes, the better.

Dreepa

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 13, 2006, 08:29 AM NHFT
Good catch castle!   I took it the next step...got thru to the Exchange this morning after 30 minutes on hold and said something like this:

"God bless the Pledge, God save the pledge....and I wanted to address some of the *fiction* that this income tax monger is spewing in his massachusetts imitation scheme. 

just drive across the border in vermont or mass and look at the ghost towns your favored policies have created.  if you want an income tax you do not have to fight for it over the next five years, just move to mass! "

I was a little on the shrill side but hey at least they kno they were in a fight...

I was listening live... I loved it when I knew... Dave from Keene.
Someone called him 'sophomoric' later in the show.
I was on hold the whole hour.
I think that you can listen to the mp3.

I was going to ask the guy because he is a religious person he would be exempt from sales or income tax.... how is that 'fair'?

FrankChodorov

in essence churches have allodial land title and raise the price of land and thus property taxes for everyone else...

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 13, 2006, 08:29 AM NHFT
Good catch castle!   I took it the next step...got thru to the Exchange this morning after 30 minutes on hold and said something like this:

"God bless the Pledge, God save the pledge....and I wanted to address some of the *fiction* that this income tax monger is spewing in his massachusetts imitation scheme. 

just drive across the border in vermont or mass and look at the ghost towns your favored policies have created.  if you want an income tax you do not have to fight for it over the next five years, just move to mass! "

I was a little on the shrill side but hey at least they kno they were in a fight...

Good work my friend :) You know, I'll always be keeping my eyes open.  ;D

Dreepa

He (David guy who wants to tax everyone but himself) said that he does not want to talk about spending at all.

I think that is his big mistake.
If I gave a family another revenue source they would spend more money, right?

Well if I give the NH govt another revenue source they would spend more money.... it really is as simple as that.

FairTaxMan

Let me ask some questions of those who filed the previous posts.

1.  The overall property tax bill in NH has been rising at the rate of 7.5% per year over the past six years.  Many people can't keep up, particularly retirees, the disabled, and people who lose their jobs.  Is it fair to continually increase the taxes of people whose incomes do not increase?

2.  If your answer to the first question if 'yes,' do you think we should do something about it?

3.  If your answer to the second question is 'yes,' what should we do?  To cut one person's taxes, someone else must pay more.  Are you willing to pay more property tax, so that those who are overtaxed can get relief?

4.  If you don't want to pay more in property tax, can you think some other tax we can increase or create to provide property tax relief?  Keep in mind that NH has pretty much maxed out on narrow-based taxes.

5.  We could consider broad-based taxes to reduce the broad-based local property tax.  A statewide property tax would shift some tax burden from 'property rich' towns to 'property-poor towns.'  An income tax would shift the burden from lower and middle income homeowners to the wealthy (the 12% of households making over approximately $125,000 have half the income in the state).  A sales tax would result in less of a shift than an income tax, but it probably would kill jobs in the retail sector.  Would you consider any of these?  Would you be willing to ditch 'the Pledge if we could cut property taxes?'

It is good to be frugal, and everyone enjoys low taxes.  The question is, 'low for whom?'  The wealthy enjoy very low taxes in NH.  Retirees suffer under high taxes.  Business taxes are also very high in NH.  Who's getting the 'New Hampshire advantage?'

error

Quote from: FairTaxMan on December 15, 2006, 08:55 AM NHFT
To cut one person's taxes, someone else must pay more.

This is not true. And the fact that it isn't true pretty much invalidates the whole line of (mis)leading questions.

Kat Kanning

Tom Sawyer

First on the list should be getting the government out of the school business.

Oh my god how can he think such things???

Well food is even more important than schooling yet we trust the market to provide food. In fact when you go to buy food you have choices on where and what to buy.

Not in the government school monopoly. In fact you can be pretty sure that half the population will be forced to endure choices that they find obhorrent.

shyfrog

cut spending
oh...someone already said that

Live Free or Die (Hard)  :icon_pirat:

FTL_Ian

Kat Kanning

Quotean Internet-based terrorist organization who is systematically shutting down the United States

Wow, sounds good!