• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New York City bans trans-fats in restaurants

Started by Friday, December 06, 2006, 12:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/05/ny.trans.fat.ap/index.html

It would be funny if it weren't so #$%%ing outrageous.  Think of all the damage this will do to so many businesses, forced to change their recipes and business processes, or just move out of NYC.  Think of all the tasty things you won't be able to eat anymore!!!  The last time I was in NYC, I noticed that Starbucks carried cranberry poppyseed cake (which I have never seen anywhere else).  It was so freakin' good, I went back for more the next day.  Most mass-produced bakery items have trans-fats in them. 

Most important of all, think of how demeaning this is to the people of NYC.  They may no longer eat that which they choose in a restaurant.  Even if it's their birthday, or anniversary, or they're celebrating a raise...

Note: I was eating a big, greasy burger and fries while reading this news story on my lunch break yesterday.  LIVE FREE OR DIE (of a heart attack, but not this year)!!! ;)

Dan

There will be much yelling and gnashing of teeth on the next Dan Carlin prodcast:
  http://dancarlin.com

burnthebeautiful

Someone needs to open a restaurant just across from the MA border with a big sign on the highway saying

"Trans-fat meals. Smoking allowed, gun owners welcome. Live Free or Die"

Spencer

Imagine how much more quickly a trans-fat ban would have been imposed in NYC were it not for the Republican mayor, Michael Bloomberg, standing on principle -- oh, wait, never mind . . . he's the guy who pushed the ban on smoking in restaurants and was the leader of the push to adopt this ban.

If the Republican Party of New York does not disavow the likes of Mayor Bloomberg, then they are as unprincipled and useless as I think they are.

Bloomberg is part of the government-corporate complex; let's all pray that he and his kind stay away from NH.

And, from reading the article, it appears that Zagat and his restaurant survey company are as anti-freedom as they get.  Remind me not to go to any restaurant that posts a Zagat-approved sticker.

Kat Kanning

So are they going to have to have a whole new 'fat police' to see that these restaurants are not slipping in trans fat?

Russell Kanning

which restaurant will be the first to ignore these laws?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on December 06, 2006, 02:35 PM NHFT
Someone needs to open a restaurant just across from the MA border with a big sign on the highway saying

"Trans-fat meals. Smoking allowed, gun owners welcome. Live Free or Die"

burn, this is NY City ordinance. NY State has not yet followed suit. Restaurants at the approaches to the city will probably be getting more customers.

I guess we'll need Snake Plissken to help out those who cannot get out of the city on their own, eh?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Friday on December 06, 2006, 12:11 PM NHFT
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/05/ny.trans.fat.ap/index.html
The last time I was in NYC, I noticed that Starbucks carried cranberry poppyseed cake (which I have never seen anywhere else).  It was so freakin' good, I went back for more the next day.  Most mass-produced bakery items have trans-fats in them. 

My favorite favorite at Starbucks is the Maple Nut Sone. 

aries

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 06, 2006, 04:53 PM NHFT
which restaurant will be the first to ignore these laws?

Will any? Maybe only mafioso will enjoy the fats.

Pat K

Is it so wrong to hope a crazed Chef beats the crap out of the Mayor?

David

My sister is a big supporter of the smoking ban in Ohio.  She sees it as a health issue, I as a property rights issue.  She likes organic foods.  I pointed out that organic foods, particularly meats are more likely to have some harmful bacteria than meat given antibiotics.  I then chanted like an evil madman, "today transfats, tommorrow, the organics hahahahaha."   >:D
Most in the NY city will simply roll their eyes and move on. 

error

I think it's time to declare NYC to be a lost cause. Send a :bus: down there to pick up any straggling liberty lovers, and let the city fall off the map.

Russell Kanning

they know where to find us. If there are any liberty lovers in NYC they will live free where they are or move.

Otosan

What the retaurants people should do is on the day that the "law" comes into effect, just not open.
With most or all the resturants closed.......a hungry mob is a angry mob.   
Plus think of all the tax dollars the city would loose....

Have "speak easy's"....sale trans-fat items under the table or out the back door.... ;D    Pssst....Bob sent me, said I could get some good trans-fat items here...

Stupid gov..... :P

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on December 06, 2006, 08:27 PM NHFT
Is it so wrong to hope a crazed Chef beats the crap out of the Mayor?

I don't think he has to worry about that, but, I  believe he will be ingesting a lot of interesting things if he eats in NYC restaurants.