• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How come i'm the only one that does silent demonstrations?

Started by Dave Ridley, December 07, 2006, 10:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

...other than Kat, that is, who did one at New London PD in CT.

Lloyd Danforth

KBCraig

I, for one, can't keep my mouth shut. Nor my anger in check.

I salute those of you who can.

error

I'm too busy putting my silent words in front of the D.C. bureaucrats! ;D

maineiac

I ran out of time to save the world years ago. I'm too busy trying to save myself!

Jim Johnson

OO....OOO... I have an excuse... I would be charged with murder when one of them dropped dead when I showed up and just stood there...

dawn

Because I don't think they'd be an effective nor enjoyable use of my time.

John

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 07, 2006, 10:29 AM NHFT

And the Mother of the Silent Protesters - - - who remains in CT.
:-X

John

d_goddard

Doing silent protests would probably reduce my more direct-impact effectiveness talking to my Reps and Senator.

That said, I think what Dave is doing is Really Cool  8)

Jim Johnson

I've been an Atheist since 1973.
Ayn Rand has said that the strongest, most emotional language is religous.
I say, God Bless Lauren and Dave and anyone who dares to follow them.
Only the brave will have places made for them in history.

maineiac

Quote from: Facilitator on December 07, 2006, 10:31 PM NHFT
I've been an Atheist since 1973.
Ayn Rand has said that the strongest, most emotional language is religous.
I say, God Bless Lauren and Dave and anyone who dares to follow them.
Only the brave will have places made for them in history.

Who has the stronger Faith? The atheist who prays to God, or the believer?

God, let the suffering of this lady be relieved, please!

Rosie the Riveter

Guts, my friend, you've got the guts. I hope to get there someday, for now I'll continue to spurr change in the system by trying to work with it. You said it yourself, in one of our discussions on my porch, we all have a different role to play in working towards liberty. Your role is "Silent Protester" and role-model for taking action.

Though you may feel like your the only one -- You are not alone --
http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/protest.html
Civil Rights Battle
One of the most unique tools of the civil rights movement was the silent protest. In 1917 in New York City, a silent parade was staged in protest of the East St. Louis, Illinois massacre and recent lychings in the south. Protesters dressed in their finest clothes, and to the sound of nothing but muffled drums, carried picket signs as they proceeded along the parade route.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/abox/article_1127885.php
LOS ANGELES ? The streetlights offered a hazy white glow, and there was just one silent protester when the guy with the bullhorn appeared out of nowhere.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2006/05/06/2003306483
Throughout the speech, a fourth protester stood in the middle of the room with his back to Rumsfeld in silent protest.

http://www.dcvote.org/media/media.cfm?mediaID=443
A photographer focused his lens on one active but silent protester, who sat on the ground scribbling on a poster.

http://freestateproject.org/news/fspnews/oct2006
Free Stater, Lauren Canario was arrested once again in a silent, peaceful eminent domain protest in New London, CT on September 22nd.

LFoD

?How come i'm the only one that does silent demonstrations??
Dada, First let me start off by saying Thank You for doing these demonstrations. Your courage and bravery lead me to unlurk, register and post (even suspecting it would lead me to multiple gov databases).
Not everyone will have the courage you do but you might be able to bring more people along to ?help? either as witnesses, recorders or silent demonstrators. Be the rock that acts as the foundation.
I hope, someday, to be able to help out with the Libertarian movement here in our state. I do so quietly, slowly infecting those around me with thoughts and ideas. You would be surprised at the number of libertarianish minded NH residents I find. I work starting up a company, have a family, KoC, doing my Masters in the evenings, etc? my time is flat out or I would be more active.
You demonstrations incur risk and not everyone is in a position to accept that risk. Myself, if for some reason charges were pressed, etc, the matter could jeopardize the type of work I do and thus my ability to provide for my family.
I have been lurking and toying with changing to libertarianism for many years now. It was a car I saw in Manchester two years ago that turned me away. It had several proc bumper stickers etc and also a very prominent one that was against people who believe in religion. I asked myself, ?is this they type of person I wish to be associated with?? and so I withdrew from the idea of the NH libertarian party. While I support fully the person?s right to think less me, the choice of who I associate with is my own. How many other potential people has this bumper sticker turned off?
Anyways, Dada, it was your courage and the fact that I was sick of voting for evil that finally helped me turn the corner.
Why are not more people helping? IMO
1, ask ?
2, The lib movement in this state has been slow. The whole free state party ideal has somewhat fizzled out (but is far from dead). Movements like this take years to generate the momentum necessary to become a self sustaining force. Those who work to gain the momentum often feel like they are unsupported, all alone. How many years did Gandhi work to gain his movement? How many times was he the only one with courage enough to stand up and say no. (Probably many)

Don?t despair; it will take time, years, but all this effort that I see all of you putting in will only pay off if you keep pushing.
Few people are able to find exactly where they should be to be able to make a difference. Count yourself blessed if you have found yours.
LFoD