• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How come i'm the only one that does silent demonstrations?

Started by Dave Ridley, December 07, 2006, 10:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Many people in the liberty movement think that religion is irrational. That may be, but don't let one person's idea of a joke color the whole movement.

Many others here are Christians who searched their souls and found that a state of liberty was the only political system compatible with Christianity.

In practice, at least from what I've seen here, it's been virtually a non-issue.

d_goddard

Quote from: LFoD on December 09, 2006, 05:28 PM NHFT
it will take time, years, but all this effort that I see all of you putting in will only pay off if you keep pushing.

LFoD, I firmly believe it is people like you -- the silent majority of Liberty-lovers who just need a little nudge to get VOCAL and to be ACTIVE -- as you start to act on your beliefs, we will all become more Free.

Dave Ridley

LFOD u are much thanked for the kind words!  i think russell and lauren however are way better examples of courage and sacrifice than I could be.  and even they aren't risking a tenth as much as a revolutionary war soldier.....who would in turn would pale in comparison to a World War I infantryman.  we gotta keep some perspective here and not get to pat-selves-on-backish.   

Russell Kanning

Don't worry. The free state party is alive and well. Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I like my chances for the nomination for the governors race in 2008 or whenever they do those things.

maineiac

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 10, 2006, 12:12 AM NHFT
LFOD u are much thanked for the kind words!  i think russell and lauren however are way better examples of courage and sacrifice than I could be.  and even they aren't risking a tenth as much as a revolutionary war soldier.....who would in turn would pale in comparison to a World War I infantryman.  we gotta keep some perspective here and not get to pat-selves-on-backish.   

OK, I give up. Why do the risks of a Revolutionary War soldier pale in comparison to those of one from WWI?

KBCraig

Quote from: maineiac on December 10, 2006, 09:51 PM NHFT
OK, I give up. Why do the risks of a Revolutionary War soldier pale in comparison to those of one from WWI?

Have you compared the rate of fire of a Maxim, versus a Brown Bess? Pondered the introduction of mustard and chlorine gas?

In the 30 years before WWI, armies went from blackpowder single shot rifles, to smokeless repeaters. Travel went from horse and foot, to trucks and tracked vehicles. Airpower went from tethered observation balloons, to armed airplanes. Artillery went from muzzle-loading black powder cannons firing solid and grapeshot in direct fire mode, to rifled howitzers with time fuses and ranges measured in miles.

And yet, the battlefield tactics changed very little. The generals were still of a mindset that civilized nations sent their soldiers to line up in pretty formations and take turns shooting at one another, followed by a break for tea. The slaughter was as you might expect.

Just by the by, there are still 13 living U.S. veterans of WWI. The 15th and 14th died this past week, at ages 106 and 113.

Kevin

John

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 10, 2006, 08:05 PM NHFTI like my chances for the nomination for the governors race in 2008 or whenever they do those things.

You'd have to work hard for my nomination.   :o  I'm thinking I'll nominate C.J.
That said, I MIGHT HAVE QUIT  ;) VOTING BY THEN.

error

John

Quote from: KBCraig on December 10, 2006, 10:40 PM NHFTcivilized nations sent their soldiers to line up in pretty formations and take turns shooting at one another, followed by a break for tea.

civilized - - - in the trenches
Merry Christmas - - - - - -  in the trenches

Dreepa

Quote from: KBCraig on December 10, 2006, 10:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: maineiac on December 10, 2006, 09:51 PM NHFT

Have you compared the rate of fire of a Maxim, versus a Brown Bess? Pondered the introduction of mustard and chlorine gas?

In the 30 years before WWI, armies went from blackpowder single shot rifles, to smokeless repeaters. Travel went from horse and foot, to trucks and tracked vehicles. Airpower went from tethered observation balloons, to armed airplanes. Artillery went from muzzle-loading black powder cannons firing solid and grapeshot in direct fire mode, to rifled howitzers with time fuses and ranges measured in miles.

And yet, the battlefield tactics changed very little. The generals were still of a mindset that civilized nations sent their soldiers to line up in pretty formations and take turns shooting at one another, followed by a break for tea. The slaughter was as you might expect.

Just by the by, there are still 13 living U.S. veterans of WWI. The 15th and 14th died this past week, at ages 106 and 113.

Kevin
No shoes in the Rev war... those guys had balls! Marching in the snow.
Also Rev 7 yearsish.
WWI  Less than  2 years.

FTL_Ian

LFoD,

The Liberty movement is bringing atheists like me, Julia, and Facilitator together with very religious people like Russell, Caleb, and Varrin.  We all get along splendidly, simply because none of us are trying to religiously recruit each other.  I think what really rubs people the wrong way about some religions is the zealotous proselytizing.  That's not going on with us.  We're just people working together for Liberty.  The only people I won't tolerate are the intolerant, and that includes people who don't like others simply because they are religious.  I couldn't care less about your religon, only how you feel about Liberty.

Also, I'd like to encourage you to not jump to conclusions about *any* movement based on some stranger's bumpersticker collection.   :o

Russell Kanning

alright ... now I am getting called "very religious" ... that one really hurts.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 13, 2006, 03:26 PM NHFT
alright ... now I am getting called "very religious" ... that one really hurts.

Sir Russell the Righteous, Archbishop of the Shire of Keane. :D

Jim Johnson

The First World War was the culmination of the philosophy that men only existed to wage war on other men.  Man existed for no other reason.
This is simular to a modern day bicyclist's attiutude who accepts the fact that 1500 lbs vehicles are passing by him, at high speeds, with in inches, but the bicyclist believes he has to be there and if they kill him that is the way it is going to be.

The American Revolusionary War was at the height of the Enlightenment.  The Freedom of the individual was the highest goal.  Some men fought as they believed, as individuals or groups of indviduals, moving to achieve the greatest goal at the least cost.  These men were Militia.

In WWI men died willingly, in mass by the millions, because that was what a man was suppose to do and if they died that was the way it was supposed to be.

In The American Revolution the American Militia Men often broke rank and engaged the enemy in an independent gorilla style of warfare.  They were called coward for thier tactic.
But it was the men of the Regular Forces who had to endure marching with rags on thier feet, not the Miltias.
The American Regular Forces, who imitated the European Armies, stood toe to toe with the enemy and lost in almost every battle.
It was only after the Regular Forces gave up thier total imitation of thier European enemy, and adopted an indpendent thinking, that wins were possible.

It is true that the rate that men could be killed was increased many fold just before WWI.  But that made no differance to any of Generals who slammed army against army or to the men in the field who's duty it was to die.  It was just a test of brute force.

I believe the men of the Militias were more brave then the soldiers of WWI.  Not only did they engaged the enemy in battle, but they were also brave enough to have a free mind.

FrankChodorov

QuoteThis is simular to a modern day bicyclist's attiutude who accepts the fact that 1500 lbs vehicles are passing by him, at high speeds, with in inches, but the bicyclist believes he has to be there and if they kill him that is the way it is going to be.

not "has to be there"...

has a RIGHT to be there as there is an individual right of way owned in common running through the roadway