• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Let's create a word for force initation against adults who haven't harmed others

Started by Dave Ridley, December 07, 2006, 03:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Quote from: AmerTownCrier on December 10, 2006, 02:00 AM NHFT
A new word isn't an entirely bad idea...for now the best I can come up with isn't new...INNOCENT is what should work.

The alternate form of this, for use in certain government buildings, is "Not Guilty." ;D

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 10, 2006, 12:16 AM NHFT
<<"Violence" doesn't cut the muster?>>

no, because most of us agree that violence against criminals can be justified if it's in self defense.  and most state coercion does not involve violence, but is still evil.

Ahh, I guess I've been using my own connotations for the word for so long that I haven't explained it. I generally distinguish between force and violence in this way:

"Force" can be described as physical action, or the use of physical action to exert one's will over another. "Violence" is specifically theinitiation of force with the intent of violating an individual's rights. In that sense, all violence is force, but not all force is violence.

In that sense, the force that a criminal uses to steal, assault, murder, etc., is violence, but the actions, even physical actions used to prevent him or catch him after the fact, are force.

State coercion doesn't often involve force (or what I would call violence), but the threat of it, which in my mind is a crime of equal degree.

Atlas

How about 'Parasite.' Somone who leeches off others is a force initiator.

Michael Fisher

Latin:

initi coerci innoce adultus

initicoercinnociadultus

one who initiates coercion against an innocent adult

Hebrew:

begin: H
khaw-lal'

force: H
ed-raw'

hurt: H
rah, raw-aw'

against: H
min, min-nee', min-nay'

innocent: H
naw-kee', naw-kee'

grown: (adult) H
gaw-dal'

man: (human) H
eesh

khaw-lal' (H) rah (H) min (H) eesh (H)
kalaraminish (H) (to begin harm against a man)

khaw-lal' (H) rah (H) min (H) gaw-dal' (H)
kalaramingadal (H) (to begin harm against an adult)

khaw-lal' (H) rah (H) min (H) naw-kee' (H) gaw-dal' (H)
kalaraminakigadal (H) (to begin harm against an innocent adult)

Greek:

cause to be: (to start) G
ghin'-om-ahee

aggressor: G
hoo-bris-tace'

!hurt: G
ad-ee-keh'-o

against: G
kat-ah'

innocent: G
an-ah'ee-tee-os

grown: (adult) G
owx-an'-o

man: (human) G
anth'-ro-pos

ghin'-om-ahee (G) ad-ee-keh'-o (G) kat-ah' (G) anth'-ro-pos (G)
ginomayadikeyokatanthropos (to initiate harm against a man)

ghin'-om-ahee (G) ad-ee-keh'-o (G) kat-ah' (G) owx-ah'-o (G)
ginomayadikeyokatoiso (to initiate harm against an adult)

ghin'-om-ahee (G) ad-ee-keh'-o (G) kat-ah' (G) an-ah'ee-tee-os (G) owx-ah'-o (G)
ginomayadikeyokatanitiosoisao (to initiate harm against an innocent adult)

Example: You are a ginomayadikeyokatanitiosoisao.   :biglaugh:

Braddogg

The problem with Hebrew is that you'll have to remember whether to use the female or male version.  I've learned how to communicate the basic message of libertarianism: Ani ohev hofesh -- I love freedom :)

MattLeft

I kinda like 'sprag.'  It has a nice ring to it.  Maybe throw another 'g' at the end of it to set it apart from its other previous definitions:  'spragg'

Then we could accuse someone of displaying spraggadocio, or being spraggadocious.  A spragnasticator? 

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Sweet Mercury on December 10, 2006, 01:05 PM NHFT

no, because most of us agree that violence against criminals can be justified if it's in self defense.  and most state coercion does not involve violence, but is still evil.

Ahh, I guess I've been using my own connotations for the word for so long that I haven't explained it. I generally distinguish between force and violence in this way:

"Force" can be described as physical action, or the use of physical action to exert one's will over another. "Violence" is specifically theinitiation of force with the intent of violating an individual's rights. In that sense, all violence is force, but not all force is violence.

In that sense, the force that a criminal uses to steal, assault, murder, etc., is violence, but the actions, even physical actions used to prevent him or catch him after the fact, are force.

State coercion doesn't often involve force (or what I would call violence), but the threat of it, which in my mind is a crime of equal degree.

very nicely explained and worded...

karma to you!

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: FrankChodorov on December 11, 2006, 07:23 PM NHFT

karma to you!

Thank you.

Actually, those are thoughts I've had and argued in response to idealistic pacifism, or the statement that people often say: "violence" doesn't solve problems."

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Sweet Mercury on December 12, 2006, 01:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on December 11, 2006, 07:23 PM NHFT

karma to you!

Thank you.

Actually, those are thoughts I've had and argued in response to idealistic pacifism, or the statement that people often say: "violence" doesn't solve problems."

I make a similar case based on Nock between the state as illegitimate and legitimate local governance as agency.

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: FrankChodorov on December 13, 2006, 05:43 PM NHFT
I make a similar case based on Nock between the state as illegitimate and legitimate local governance as agency.

I actually just recieved Our Enemy, the State in the mail. I'll be reading it soon.

Michael Fisher

Hmmm... there must be a better word than:
-sprag
-chagg
-initicoercinnociadultus
-kalaraminakigadal
-ginomayadikeyokatanitiosoisao

Dave Ridley

ideally it should rhyme with something poeple already consider evil...just as spragg rhymes with fragg.

trogging rhymes with flogging and isnt in use...

KBCraig

In Shreveport, Sprague Street is pronounced "spragg". It's also a place where a lot of violence is initiated.

Michael Fisher

This liberty-vocabulary development effort is more important than we might know.

"Words are a mirror of their times. By looking at the areas in which the vocabulary of a language is expanding fastest in a given period, we can form a fairly accurate impression of the chief preoccupations of society at that time and the points at which the boundaries of human endeavour are being advanced."
-John Ayto, lexicographer (1949- )

David