• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Let's create a word for force initation against adults who haven't harmed others

Started by Dave Ridley, December 07, 2006, 03:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

outlaw4freedom

Best answer to thread I've seen:

Quote from: Brock on December 07, 2006, 04:37 PM NHFT
Aggress doesn't cut it?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
ag?gress /??gr?s/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-gres]   
?verb (used without object)
1.   to commit the first act of hostility or offense; attack first.
2.   to begin to quarrel.
?verb (used with object)
3.   to behave aggressively toward; attack (often fol. by upon): wild animals aggressing their prey.
[Origin: 1565?75; < L aggressus (ptp. of aggred? to attack), equiv. to ag- ag- + gred- (see grade) + -tus ptp. suffix]

American Heritage Dictionary
ag?gress   (?-gr?s')     
intr.v.   ag?gressed, ag?gress?ing, ag?gress?es
To initiate an attack, war, quarrel, or fight: "America . . . guaranteed that no EC state would aggress against another" (John J. Mearsheimer).
[French agresser, from Latin aggred?, aggress-, to attack : ad-, ad- + grad?, to go; see ghredh- in Indo-European roots.]

error

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on December 28, 2006, 06:44 PM NHFT
Racketeering comes to mind. Extortion also a subset.  How many times does the government break its own laws to go after individuals?

I lost count long ago.

Dave Ridley

Spragg still seems to be the front runner term in my mind.   For now I'm Waiting to hear something better.... 

Michael Fisher

On the topic of developing a vocabulary of liberty, a professor found this homeschooling or independent-learning term for me:

autodidact: n. a person who has learned a subject without a teacher or formal education; self-taught person. ?autodidactic, adj (Webster's American College Dictionary. 1998. New York: Random House, Inc.).

Braddogg

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 29, 2006, 10:17 PM NHFT
Spragg still seems to be the front runner term in my mind.   For now I'm Waiting to hear something better.... 

I'm giving it a shot in my profile . . . .

Michael Fisher

Vocabulary shapes thought. It is true. Read this great article by Kevin Van Horn.

Getting the State Out of Our Heads
by Kevin S. Van Horn
http://www.strike-the-root.com/71/horn/horn1.html

"As Orwell and various linguists have pointed out, vocabulary shapes thought."

Dave Ridley

very honored , 'dogg!

it aint a political movement until it's invented its own word....

ksvanhorn

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 07, 2006, 04:11 PM NHFT
currently there is no word for initiation of force, only the phrase.  and in any case the phrase "initiation of force" doesn't really cover all the bases anyway.

Can anyone think of a better word for it than sprag?

Sure.  "Aggress" or "trespass".

ksvanhorn

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 09, 2006, 02:48 PM NHFT
It's hard to pin accusations of "aggression" on stony bureaucrats because the type of force they use is so controlled and invisible.

The word for that is "intimidation" or "extortion".

I really don't think we should invent new words here.  Just use the same words we would use to describe the act if someone outside of the government were to do it: "assault", "extortion", "aggression", "breaking and entering", "trespass", "theft", etc.  Part of the problem we face is the new words that were invented in the past to describe criminal acts of government; since these differ from what we call those acts when people outside the government commit them, this special vocabulary has tended to obscure the essentially criminal nature of government.  Examples: taxation (extortion / theft); conscription (enslavement); war (mass murder); inflation (counterfeiting / fraud).

jaqeboy

Caleb

Michael Fisher

Here's a good one. Dragoon. It's an existing word, too.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dragoon

dra?goon  [druh-goon]

?noun 1. (esp. formerly) a European cavalryman of a heavily armed troop. 
2. a member of a military unit formerly composed of such cavalrymen, as in the British army. 
3. (formerly) a mounted infantryman armed with a short musket. 
?verb (used with object) 4. to set dragoons or soldiers upon; persecute by armed force; oppress. 
5. to force by oppressive measures; coerce: The authorities dragooned the peasants into leaving their farms. 

tr.v.   dra?gooned, dra?goon?ing, dra?goons

To subjugate or persecute by the imposition of troops.
To compel by violent measures or threats; coerce.

[Origin: 1615?25; < F dragon, special use of dragon dragon, applied first to a pistol hammer (so named because of its shape), then to the firearm, then to the troops so armed]

-------

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dragoon

dragoon 

1622, from Fr. dragon "carbine, musket," because the guns the soldiers carried "breathed fire" like a dragon. The verb is from 1689, lit. "to force by the agency of dragoons" (which were used by the Fr. kings to persecute Protestants).

-------

"The openly hostile minority was driven out or dragooned into obedience..."

lildog

The sky is blue and all the leaves are green.
The sun's as warm as a baked potato.
I think I know precisely what I mean,
When I say it's a shpadoinkle day.

SAK

OK, I apologize ahead of time -- I truly do -- for an off-topic post.  But this thread made me think of a funny joke and I can't resist :D

QuoteA radio station was running a competition ? words that weren?t in the dictionary yet could still be used in a sentence that would make logical sense. The prize was a trip to Bali.

DJ: ?96 FM here, what?s your name??

Caller: ?Hi, my name?s Dave.?

DJ: ?Dave, what?s your word??

Caller: ?Goan... spelt G-O-A-N pronounced ?go-an?.?

DJ: ?You are correct, Dave, ?goan? is not in the dictionary. Now, for a trip to Bali: What sentence can you use that word in that would make sense??

Caller: ?Goan fuck yourself!?

The DJ cut the caller off and took other calls, all unsuccessful until later on...

DJ: ?96 FM, what?s your name??

Caller: ?Hi, me name?s Jeff.?

DJ: ?Jeff, what?s your word??

Caller: ?Smee, spelt S-M-E-E, pronounced ?smee?.?

DJ: ?You are correct, Jeff, ?smee? is not in the dictionary. Now, for a trip to Bali: What sentence can you use that word in that would make sense??

Caller: ?Smee again! Goan fuck yourself!?