• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Programming/IT Projects, Open Source

Started by eques, December 08, 2006, 12:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

eques

I'm fishing (trawling?) for ideas regarding Programming or IT Projects using the Open Source model (submission to websites such as sourceforge.com, freshmeat.net, and the like).  It can be simple and straightforward (certainly the broader the appeal, the better)... I'm just looking for seeds which I can then cultivate into something.

I'm trying to think of something, but all my ideas come out to be too complex or too immature.  I need a fresh perspective.

d_goddard

Do you mean, you want to start an OSS project, and have no idea what to work on?
Or, you want to work on an OSS project, and can't pick which one?

If the latter, may I selfishly suggest:
http://oss.oracle.com/

error

QuoteOracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code base that's free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer.

Ooooo, I'm all over that!

Lex

Quote from: error on December 08, 2006, 01:14 AM NHFT
QuoteOracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code base that's free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer.

Ooooo, I'm all over that!

I'm not sure what they mean when they say "free to develop" because it's still proprietary software. Also it comes with a ton of restrictions, albeit generous ones but still significant if you plan on doing anything serious with the database. The 1GB RAM limit is probably the worst restriction and if you have a lot of data the 4GB limit on amount of data will get you (although that's a lot of freak'n data).

Lex

Quote from: eques on December 08, 2006, 12:49 AM NHFT
I'm fishing (trawling?) for ideas regarding Programming or IT Projects using the Open Source model (submission to websites such as sourceforge.com, freshmeat.net, and the like).  It can be simple and straightforward (certainly the broader the appeal, the better)... I'm just looking for seeds which I can then cultivate into something.

I'm trying to think of something, but all my ideas come out to be too complex or too immature.  I need a fresh perspective.

If you have free time to kill spend it out doors.

error

Hey, it's an improvement. Last time I'd looked, you could download Oracle 10g for free, but weren't allowed to run it on a production site at all.

Lex

Quote from: error on December 08, 2006, 06:27 AM NHFT
Hey, it's an improvement. Last time I'd looked, you could download Oracle 10g for free, but weren't allowed to run it on a production site at all.

Personally I prefer PostgreSQL. I have developed with and used on production systems both Oracle and PostgreSQL and I prefer PostgreSQL hands down because it surprisingly enough has more features! I mean it doesn't have any of those GUIs and doesn't have the hierarchical sql exentions (which you can easily add to postgresql) but it beats Oracle hands down on simple stuff like string/date formatting and other little things like that. Oracle vs PostgreSQL is kindof like Notepad/VI vs Dreamweaver/Other WYSYWIG, if you like to use the command line and do a lot of stuff in the actual database I think PostgreSQL is the best for that but if you want all the fancy GUIs and SQL builders and all that jazz then Oracle wins hands down over PostgreSQL.

eques

Quote from: d_goddard on December 08, 2006, 01:06 AM NHFT
Do you mean, you want to start an OSS project, and have no idea what to work on?
Or, you want to work on an OSS project, and can't pick which one?

If the latter, may I selfishly suggest:
http://oss.oracle.com/

I was looking more for the former...

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 08, 2006, 06:22 AM NHFT
If you have free time to kill spend it out doors.

I don't really have free time, and it's friggin' COLD!

Also, I'm trying to keep my skillz sharp and perhaps make some money on the side.

d_goddard

Consider doing some work with the FSP-IT maybe?
They use CiviCRM and Drupal, both of which are open-source projects, and there are some wicked cool features planned but with nobody working on them.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fspit

"tell 'em Denis sent ya"

Russell Kanning

and then when you blow us all away with all the cool stuff on the FSP website ...  people will ask you about other projects. :)