• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Renting in New Hampshire

Started by diamondlady1025, December 14, 2006, 01:52 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lowen

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on June 26, 2007, 05:15 AM NHFT
Concord has as many of the businesses you mention in Portsmouth with the plus of being in the thick of State Capitol.  It is hard to beat Portsmouth or Manchester when it comes to muni. buses, which are more limited in Manch.

You are going to find that you are looking at rooming houses on the lower end of the rent range.  If St. Georges is on Pine that is the case.

Not clear on whether a studio or 1 bedroom is adequate.  You may be better trying to share a bigger place with more roommates.

Well, since things are so expensive over there, the plan was to share a studio with my cousin, who is also an FSP member. Sure, it'd be cramped, but I've lived in worse dorms and apartments in college. A two bedroom apartment in Manchester, Concord, Nashua, wherever, would be $1200 at the cheapest, meaning we're still both paying $600.

Dreepa

Welcome Lowen!

Concord has lots of shops.

Here are some from the paper on Sat.

2 BR $790 Concord

2BR house plus inlaw suite $1500 Concord

3BR house w/2 car garage $1100 + util  (find someone on this board and that could work)  Concord

3BR house $1400 Concord

2BR duplex plus basement $1250 Concord

Small 2BR house $875 Concord

Concord Duplex 2BR $925 (plus backyard)
2BR with porch $1030 Concord

Concord 2BR $850
Concord 1 BR $850
Concord 1BR  $750
Concord 2BR  $800
Concord Studio $650

This is from the paper version.
You can try the online version:
http://www.marketplacelocal.com/portalweb/portal.aspx?groupid=432&pagename=browse&channelid=128&categoryid=2107&subcategoryid=540

Insurgent

Craigslist is also an excellent way to explore available housing; that's how I found my current apartment in Concord. Concord, by the way, is big enough to have all the stores and restaurants you'd want, but small enough to have low crime and reasonable traffic.

http://nh.craigslist.org/

ibedi

I am going to be driving up to NH shortly after my last day at work -- July 8th -- to look for a place to live. I would like to stay in the southern end of the state as well. Housing prices have been going up steadily in Tucson for years, and I'd say NH is just a little more expensive. Even so, I have been living rent-free with my ex for five years, so I have been experiencing $ticker $hock too.

Is housing substantially cheaper in the small rural communities between, say, Nashua and Keene, or Manchester and Portsmouth? I have a vehicle, so transportation is no problem. Well, okay, it might be a problem after this Sonoran desert native hits her first patch of ice...

Also, why is it so much cheaper to rent/buy in the northern half of the state? Is it an economically depressed area? Are there many Free Staters up there?

Diane

Rochelle

It's cheaper in the northern half because fewer people live up there. The winters get a lot worse the farther north you go. Additionally, most (not all, but most) jobs are located in the southern half of the state. It is possible to commute down south for the winter (I know a lot of people who do) but remember: the winter is a lot worse up there!

Edited because my addled brain meant to type "It is possible to commute down south daily for WORK, not for Winter :P

Dreepa

Welcome ibedi!

Also don't forget to tell the FSP that you moved so that the counters rolls forward.

I met another FSPer last night who is moving in August ;D

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: ibedi on June 28, 2007, 02:54 AM NHFT
Is housing substantially cheaper in the small rural communities between, say, Nashua and Keene, or Manchester and Portsmouth? I have a vehicle, so transportation is no problem. Well, okay, it might be a problem after this Sonoran desert native hits her first patch of ice...

Several towns just west on Nashua are a lot more expensive than Nashua.  Manchester is not bad but Portsmouth is...most of the towns near Manchester are lower than Porsmouth.  I am sure you will find several options that you like.

dalebert

I was just visiting Roommates.com and I did a quick search for rooms in/near Keene and got a bunch of hits. Yay! Then it wanted me to enter a profile and create a login to get more details so I did. At one point it asks your sexual orientation so I put "gay" of course. Then I pulled up the search again and all but one room went away.  :-[

lowen

Quote from: dalebert on June 28, 2007, 04:30 PM NHFT
I was just visiting Roommates.com and I did a quick search for rooms and got a bunch of hits. Yay! Then it wanted me to enter a profile and create a login to get more details so I did. At one point it asks your sexual orientation so I put "gay" of course. Then I pulled up the search again and all but one went away.  :-[

It's a shame, really. More of a shame is the fact that now when you want to inspect or contact potential roommates, they want you to pay a monthly fee for something you're likely to use once.

dalebert

I'm trying http://nh.craigslist.org/roo/ which seems to have a lot more choices. Doesn't mean they're going to be cool with a GWM necessarily but with more options and no fee for using the website, I think the odds are better. Looks like the choices are just going to be more limited in Keene unfornately. Also, because it's a smaller town, I may have more trouble due to the gay thing. For now, I may just need to stick to my alternate choice of the Nashua or coastal area. I do like that they're a little bigger with more stuph available and more going on, but I would regret not being near some of my favorite FSPers in Keene. Maybe I can head that way later once I decide how I want to make a living and am ready to buy a house. In the meantime, at least I'd be close enough to campaign for Ron Paul for the primary and it will be easy to head up to Concord and meet up with my buddies for protests and such.