• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

War on drugs? Not for a cop's son!

Started by Sweet Mercury, December 15, 2006, 03:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Mercury

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/12/13/480679-miami-chiefs-son-sentenced-in-drug-case

The article is short, but I'll sum it up anyway. Man get's caught by undercover agents trying to buy 400 pounds of marijuana, faces 40 years in jail, and get's sentenced to 18 months. Must be nice to have a dad in the business, eh?

Am I being paranoid, or am I right in thinking that incidents like this further prove my fear that the war on drugs isn't really perpetuated by ideological zealots, but calculating Machiavellian power-brokers who know that it's a useful tool for furthering both the scale and scope of established authority by tugging the fear strings of the average voter?

error

Quote from: Sweet Mercury on December 15, 2006, 03:24 PM NHFT
Am I being paranoid, or am I right in thinking that incidents like this further prove my fear that the war on drugs isn't really perpetuated by ideological zealots, but calculating Machiavellian power-brokers who know that it's a useful tool for furthering both the scale and scope of established authority by tugging the fear strings of the average voter?

Most people never figure it out, even when the plain truth is staring them right in the face.

aries

400lb is a lot

and I mean a LOT of weed

if it was low grade, it was worth 1.28 million
high grade, 2.7 million.

It would last a heavy smoker 246 years
It would last a chain smoker a lifetime.
It would last 10 heavy smokers 24.6 years

It would last a light/recreational user almost 2000 years.

It would last Manchester New Hampshire's entire population a week.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: aries on December 15, 2006, 10:55 PM NHFT
It would last Manchester New Hampshire's entire population a week.

Now that would be an interesting week in ManchVegas. 

:stickybun:

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: error on December 15, 2006, 05:01 PM NHFT
Most people never figure it out, even when the plain truth is staring them right in the face.

Ah, true. Gotta protect the kids and all, and who better to do that than the federal government?

Just to be clear for anyone reading this: I don't support the 'war on drugs' and I certainly don't think there should be any punishment for selling a substance that millions of adults use responsibly. I just felt that, if these people really cared about the anti-drug message they propogate, they wouldn't be so subjective with applying the punishment, regardeless of how connected the 'criminal' is. It's like a crystal clear glimse into how full of shit the whole prohibition movement is—I just hope more than libertarians pick up on that from this story.

maineiac

high grade, 2.7 million.

I had no idea that pot was so overpriced in NH!

Or, maybe aries is just getting ripped off.

And, yes, Sweet Merc, you are right.

Pat McCotter

400lb is a lot

and I mean a LOT of weed

high grade, 2.7 million.

$200/oz to $421/oz?

aries

Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 16, 2006, 12:00 PM NHFT
400lb is a lot

and I mean a LOT of weed

high grade, 2.7 million.

$200/oz to $421/oz?

$420  ;D

and yes those are accurate prices for NH... an ounce of decent stuff can go up to $600 if you do the math out on small sales like 1g or 2g... but oz sales are usually lower priced.

Really crappy stuff is around $120-150 an oz.

mvpel

I guess the enforcement of prohibition in New Hampshire must be particularly effective, that the prices are so high.  I'd heard rumors of $80-$100 an ounce when I lived out in California.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: mvpel on December 16, 2006, 09:42 PM NHFT
I guess the enforcement of prohibition in New Hampshire must be particularly effective, that the prices are so high.  I'd heard rumors of $80-$100 an ounce when I lived out in California.

Good observation.

error

Well, there was that grow operation that got shut down a couple months back...

aries

90% of NH's weed comes from Quebec, not America. The prices tend to go up only when they shut down the border tunnels in VT and NY.

TEBON

man I must be getting ripped off too.

I remember reading in "Emperor Wears No Clothes" how back in the day, Polish Immigrants would pull their guns on the feds when they came to collect their hemp.  They said that they were done with the feds stealing next year's long johns.  I don't care if they legalize it for the potheads, but they should legalize it so I can make myself a new shirt of hemp if I felt like it. . . would the anti-drug people be opposed to me making a shirt of Duct Tape?  I'm sure you can get screwed up if you smoke duct tape. . .

uh oh I hope I didn't give some lawyer an idea.

Quote from: maineiac on December 16, 2006, 11:01 AM NHFT

high grade, 2.7 million.

I had no idea that pot was so overpriced in NH!

Or, maybe aries is just getting ripped off.

And, yes, Sweet Merc, you are right.

Dreepa

Quote from: TEBON on December 17, 2006, 08:20 AM NHFT
man I must be getting ripped off too.

I remember reading in "Emperor Wears No Clothes" how back in the day, Polish Immigrants would pull their guns on the feds when they came to collect their hemp.  They said that they were done with the feds stealing next year's long johns.  I don't care if they legalize it for the potheads, but they should legalize it so I can make myself a new shirt of hemp if I felt like it. . . would the anti-drug people be opposed to me making a shirt of Duct Tape?  I'm sure you can get screwed up if you smoke duct tape. . .

Every year there is a hemp bill introduced in NH...It actually might have a chance of passing this upcoming term.