• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bob Barr quits GOP, joins LP

Started by KBCraig, December 15, 2006, 06:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

Quote from: Otosan on December 16, 2006, 06:03 AM NHFT
From my understanding that the LP helped in Barr's defeat over his drug stand.

Our TNLPVP has asked  Barr if is stance on Drugs had changed, and Barr replied he is coming around.

This was the sort of answer I was looking for.  Thanks, Oto.

I'm perfectly happy working with people who are 85% pro-liberty.  Hell, I'll work with somebody who is 5% pro-liberty, if that's what it takes to win on an issue.  But I've never heard of the LP embracing a drug warrior, and like I said, Barr was one of the worst.  So bad that the LP took out attack ads against him to get him out of Congress because of his zero tolerance attitude on medical marijuana.  I was wondering if this was a signal of the LP's "reformed" attitude.

Pet issue?!?!  Would guns be considered a "pet issue?"  Taxes?  Last I heard, Bob Barr thought people who smoke marijuana for any reason were unAmerican, unpatriotic, and ought to be in jail.  If he had his way, I'd be serving 97 consecutive life sentences...  ::)

Dreepa

Quote from: error on December 16, 2006, 03:27 AM NHFT
Barr tells Radley Balko that the Patriot Act was rushed through without sufficient time for proper hearings:
http://www.theagitator.com/archives/019015.php
If he felt it was rushed he should have voted no.
Proper time for hearing etc...
Also I doubt ANY congressman read the whole thing.
Read the bills act!

KBCraig

Quote from: Michael Fisher on December 16, 2006, 12:20 AM NHFT
http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/00002342.html

"I USUALLY MANAGE TO IGNORE LIBERTARIAN PARTY NEWS. But Bob Barr invited to join the LP national committee??? That's like electing George W. Bush to the board of directors of the ACLU..."

If she hasn't noticed, Barr joined the ACLU before he joined the LP.

Michael Fisher

The reason I linked to Claire Wolfe's blog is because she has summed up his voting record nicely.

Perhaps people should read her blog post before giving up their skepticism on this guy.

Rocketman

Quote from: KBCraig on December 16, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
Quote from: Michael Fisher on December 16, 2006, 12:20 AM NHFT
http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/00002342.html

"I USUALLY MANAGE TO IGNORE LIBERTARIAN PARTY NEWS. But Bob Barr invited to join the LP national committee??? That's like electing George W. Bush to the board of directors of the ACLU..."

If she hasn't noticed, Barr joined the ACLU before he joined the LP.

Yeah, I thought Barr joining the ACLU was strange enough... it was the ACLU that filed the lawsuit to stop Barr when he tried to interfere with a ballot initiative in D.C. http://radgeek.com/gt/2002/02/11/how_bob

error

What you've all been waiting for. Bob Barr speaks:

http://www.reason.com/news/show/117284.html

I'll let you judge for yourself.

Lloyd Danforth

As with the recent convention, another nail in the coffin of the LP

Tom Sawyer

Quotereason: As a former Republican congressman, do you worry about the spoiler effect? Republicans have blamed the Libertarian vote for siphoning off support and electing Democrats in Montana and Missouri?s Senate races.

Barr: What I fight for, and what the Libertarian Party fights for, is liberty and freedom. In this past election cycle I don?t think the Republican Party can blame its defeats on anybody but itself. There were serious concerns voters had with the record of the Republican Party over the last couple of years -- the war in Iraq, the prosecution thereof, the scandals. Their losses had nothing to do with whether there was a Libertarian or another candidate in the race. It was the Republican Party; that?s why those candidates lost. And some of the losers were my very good friends. To blame your loss on another candidate is -- well, you can go back to what the Bible says, about concentrating on the splinter in your neighbor?s eye instead of the long board stuck in your eye.

I interviewed Bob Barr at the Republican National Convention. We didn't see eye to eye on every issue, but I was impressed by his intergrity.

He is a former intelligence official, yet was very critical of the NSA's refusal to answer Congressional questions about their operations. The NSA sent in lawyers who claimed attorney-client privilege. >:(

Rocketman

It's clear he still thinks I should be in jail, the pig. 

error

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 18, 2006, 08:10 AM NHFT

That depends on what you expect of the LP.

There are plenty of people who, were the LP to announce it supported some proposal to cut taxes by 10 percent, would get up and point and scream, "LOOK! THE LP HAS LOST ITS PRINCIPLES!" These people will be disappointed, and I think they should be.

Lloyd Danforth

Barr will have to come around 180 degrees on many issues or be an embarrasment to the LP.  Someone his age, who had to be aware there was something other than the Dark Side, where he was emerced for many years, suddenly turns 180 has to be viewed with suspicion.

Rocketman

Quote from: error on December 18, 2006, 08:25 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 18, 2006, 08:10 AM NHFT

That depends on what you expect of the LP.

There are plenty of people who, were the LP to announce it supported some proposal to cut taxes by 10 percent, would get up and point and scream, "LOOK! THE LP HAS LOST ITS PRINCIPLES!" These people will be disappointed, and I think they should be.

I would happily support a 1% tax cut, and I don't blame the LP for using Barr's help.  But if I happen to attend the next convention and see Bob Barr, I'll be sure and tell him about the time I celebrated the defeat of a Georgia Congressman by smoking copious amounts of marijuana, peacefully, in the privacy of my own residence.

cathleeninnh

I would be generous but cautious if he declared he was wrong before. But he doesn't have a clean enough reputation for any position of authority. He should go to the bottom of the heap and earn his way out of the rubble.

Cathleen

Rocketman

Quotereason: In 2002, the Libertarian Party called you the worst drug warrior in Congress. No hard feelings?

Barr: To be honest with you that?s never come up in our discussions. I?m not going to let minor disagreements come between us.

It certainly appears that Bill Redpath and Shane Cory have reached out to an unrepentant drug warrior, embraced him, and invited him to take a leadership position in the LP. 

Some libertarians waffle on whether we should legalize heroin, meth, etc., and that I can live with.  Even I don't want to repeal all the drug laws at once, but that's not what we're talking about here.  Bob Barr, when he was in power, did everything he could to stop sick people from ingesting a f***ing plant that makes their lives more tolerable, and for that I think he should be tarred and feathered, at the very least...

"Minor disagreements" my ass.  My blood still boils when I hear the name Bob Barr.  Drug Prohibition requires a police state, plain and simple, so you can't be a drug warrior and a libertarian at the same time.  If the LP's idea of becoming a "big tent" means embracing drug warriors, they can count me out.  (On the flip side, I'm all for making the LP more inclusive to left-leaning libertarians, classic liberals who have been traditionally ostracized by the party's many randroids.)