• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bob Barr quits GOP, joins LP

Started by KBCraig, December 15, 2006, 06:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: Caleb on December 19, 2006, 08:38 PM NHFT
QuoteI'm glad that people don't treat your conversion to Christianity the same way.

- 1 ... for the ad hominem on poor Michael.

-1 for the ad hominem on me, by calling that an ad hominem attack on Michael.

QuotePeople who are looking for real answers and being honest with themselves often change their minds many times on topics of great importance.  No one should ever be criticized for saying, "I was wrong before, now I'm going to change my viewpoint."

That's what I said, Caleb.

And since you reinforced my point, I take back the smite. Besides, I quit smiting people a long time ago. I discuss things with them and applaud them when I think they make a good point, when they post something educational or of value to the forum, or when they do something to lift the mood. I don't use the karma rating as a popularity contest.

Kevin

error

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/117412.html

We'll know for certain whether Bob Barr is still a drug warrior on or before January 18, though right now it's not looking good.

error

I got the following forwarded to me in email this evening:

Subject: [OutrightLibertarians] MPP SPeaks Well of Barr

Dear Outrighters,
Below is a statement from the Marijuana policy project. It is being distributed among the Southeast Region chairs.
Chris

To: <LNCSouthEast@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:53:28 -0500
Subject: [LNCSouthEast] A comment originating from Rob Kampia

I have received the following, which I find very interesting. Please read both paragraphs, since the most important part is in the second paragraph:

--
"I've had the opportunity to meet with former Congressman Bob Barr on two occasions this fall. The conversations were quite interesting (and very civil), given that he was one of the three most problematic members of Congress for my organization since I co-founded MPP 12 years ago. While serving in Congress from 1995 to 2003, he (1) prevented our 1998 medical marijuana initiative from taking effect in D.C., (2) took the anti-medical marijuana position while debating me on national TV, and (3) grilled me during my testimony before a congressional subcommittee in 2001. In addition, MPP orchestrated civil disobedience in his office on Capitol Hill, whereby a group of activists holding various signs chanted medical marijuana slogans in his office while we laid the body of a medical marijuana patient (with multiple sclerosis) in the doorway so that no one could get in or out.

But that's in the past; he has really come around on drug policy issues. He acknowledges that the drug war is a failure and it cannot be won, he has publicly come out in favor of states' rights for medical marijuana, and he wants to do whatever he can to shrink the size and reach of the federal government, which presumably includes the drug-war bureaucracy (the narcocracy) -- DEA, ONDCP, NIDA. I support the notion of Mr. Barr taking a leadership position with the Libertarian Party; it's a win/win for him and the Party."

Rob Kampia, Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project

Tom Sawyer

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 15, 2007, 09:28 PM NHFT
Bob Barr and the Libertarians
Reason
by David Weigel

Good column. Points out one of the weaknesses of the LP: that LPers throughout time have disagreed about abortion, methods of taxation, acceptable levels of peacetime military deployment, etc., etc., etc. But the one true litmus test has always been drug legalization.

I think it makes a stronger LP to have a known figure who doesn't fit the "drug kook stereotype" which so many people use to label Libertarians. Especially if he's publicly questioning his previous stance, and moving towards liberty.

Kevin