• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Problem with Roadrunner

Started by FTL_Ian, December 19, 2006, 04:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

JonM

Check for a firmware update on the router.  I don't think google talk uses any ports other than 80.

error

RV082 - 10/100 8-Port VPN Router

Firmware Date:    10/13/2006
Firmware Release Version:    1.3.3.5
Firmware File Size:    4.97 MB

As for sending files, I still don't know. I've never gotten it to work at all without turning on the DMZ Host feature in the router. You might get it to work by setting your computer as the DMZ Host. (The fine manual says it's on the Setup tab.)

FTL_Ian

Quote from: error on December 20, 2006, 04:29 PM NHFT
RV082 - 10/100 8-Port VPN Router

Firmware Date:    10/13/2006
Firmware Release Version:    1.3.3.5
Firmware File Size:    4.97 MB

As for sending files, I still don't know. I've never gotten it to work at all without turning on the DMZ Host feature in the router. You might get it to work by setting your computer as the DMZ Host. (The fine manual says it's on the Setup tab.)

Upgraded the firmware, no change.  Set my computer as the DMZ, no change.

Another problem is that files from certain servers stall during download.  This one, for instance:
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/edgy/ubuntu-6.10-desktop-powerpc.iso

It will choke at some random point between 1% and 11%.  Take the router out and connect to the cable modem direct and it works.

Do you think this thing is just shot?

error

Quote from: FTL_Ian on December 22, 2006, 10:54 AM NHFT
Do you think this thing is just shot?

Probably not shot. Probably just needs some gentle persuasion we haven't quite figured out yet.

If you're still having trouble with it when I get up to Keene in February, I'll be glad to give it a few funny looks and wave a dead chicken over it if you wish. :)

JonM

Try a hard reset.  Clear the config and start over, perhaps you will have better luck.  If you've already done that, well, routers aren't all that expensive . . .

error

Routers aren't all that expensive, but dual-homed routers typically are much more expensive.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Jon Maltz on December 22, 2006, 11:51 AM NHFT
Try a hard reset.  Clear the config and start over, perhaps you will have better luck.  If you've already done that, well, routers aren't all that expensive . . .

Tried that.  This router retails at just under $300.

Since the DSL connection through the router works perfectly, it's not enough of a problem to replace it, but enough to bother me.

error

The other option is to build your own :)