• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine Housing in Manchester

Started by alecmuller, December 23, 2006, 02:10 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Quote from: Friday on October 18, 2007, 07:04 AM NHFT
Quote from: alecmuller on October 08, 2007, 06:18 PM NHFT
If you're not a woman but are still looking for porcupine housing in Manchester, I'm going to look at an apartment on Wednesday morning that I think is right across the street from Porc Manor, so I may have more spaces to post in a few days.  If you are interested in moving into the neighborhood with a dozen other free staters, please contact me through email.  I'll be much more anxious to take the lease if I know that I'll have at least one person to move into it.

I love how you nonchalantly post this three days after the Feds paid their unwelcome visit to Porc Manor.  Totally unfazed and unintimidated.  You ROCK, Alec!   8)   :brave:

I was just getting on here to look at travel cause i plan on going back to NH for Liberty Forum 08 but what the house was raided by the feds? What happened?

Whose all living there by the way?

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Caveman on November 07, 2007, 05:11 PM NHFT
but what the house was raided by the feds? What happened?

The feds found out that they had been removing the tags from their mattresses and there was a month long sting.

Pat K

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 07, 2007, 10:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: Caveman on November 07, 2007, 05:11 PM NHFT
but what the house was raided by the feds? What happened?

The feds found out that they had been removing the tags from their mattresses and there was a month long sting.

HA !!LOL.

error

They found out about our conspiracy to get Ron Paul elected.

kesmith32

Are there any spaces presently available month-to-month for a potential Free-Stater?

EJinCT

error

Quote from: EJinNH on December 03, 2007, 11:28 AM NHFT
Bump for potential movers.  8)

Looks like a full house right now. But I'm sure Alec will be along when that changes.

alecmuller

Quote from: error on December 03, 2007, 01:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: EJinNH on December 03, 2007, 11:28 AM NHFT
Bump for potential movers.  8)

Looks like a full house right now. But I'm sure Alec will be along when that changes.

Hi Error - you're right.  I just checked out a 3 bedroom across the street (literally within 100 feet of our front door) and am probably going to rent it.  It's $900/month plus utilities (which I'm guessing will average $300-400).  The rooms are different sizes, and the big one has two large closets (one of them walk-in) and could fit two people willing to share space.  I'd guess that a fair split of costs would be ~ $550, $450, and $300 per month per room with utilities (I may update this after going back with a tape measure).  I forgot to ask about parking spaces, but most likely there's only one off-street, which means the other two people have to find on-street parking which is a pain in the winter if you have a car (especially during snow emergencies when they ban all parking on the streets, which happens a half dozen times per year).  It has one small bathroom (with a tub), and one decent sized galley-style kitchen, a living room, and a dining room.  All the floors are hardwood.  The heat is natural gas with radiators (probably steam).

Ideally one of you will rent it so I'm not involved at all (there's probably no money in the deal - I just want more porcupines in the neighborhood).  However, if none of you wants the responsibility of managing it but at least two people _do_ want to move in (to a neighborhood that already has 12 porcupines within a 100 foot radius) before the end of the year, then I'll rent it myself and find people to fill it.  If I rent it out, then it will have high speed internet, heat & hot water, and electricity, but no other utilities.  If you want a phone you'll need a cell phone or VOIP (Error you run a phone service, right?), and if you want cable tv you'll need to come visit 412 Central Street.  The internet will be included in the base price, but the variable utilities will be split between housemates (i.e. something like $400+150, $325+$125, & $200+100).  As always, my terms are at-will & prorated by the day.

I told Steve the owner that I'd get back to him in a couple of days, so if you're interested, please email me at alecmuller at gmail.com before Wednesday at 5pm!

Alec

alecmuller

Update: I've signed a lease on the 3 bedroom apartment and it will be ready for people to move in to next Saturday (12/22/07).  Contact me by email if you're interested in moving in and joining the Porc Central neighborhood!

Also, check out the recent 6.5 minute documentary on the FSP - nearly all of the footage and interviews were done in our neighborhood:

http://current.com/items/88792912_rent_free

(but please note that rent is _not_ free :p )

condon

My residence in the Free State is in Grafton, the Free Town, and I bounce back and forth between there and Florida throughout the year (I have a law practice in Tampa). I now find that I'm going to be working on some legal projects in the Free State that will be made much easier if I have a place in Manchester to crash. I'm considering purchasing a little one-bedroom condo in the city, but want to know if there's anyone who'd be interested in renting out a room (and a parking place for my minivan) with the understanding that I'd be there "at most" a week out of each month (and probably less). All I need is a room with broadband internet connection, a shared bathroom, and a place to put my minivan; everything else, including a mattress on the floor, I can take care of. Because of the nature of my work I'm pretty quiet; I also like pets, don't smoke (okay, an occasional cigar outside; I'm from Tampa), am considerate of those I visit/live with, and don't need much otherwise. Although I like getting together with Porcupines at all opportunities, I really need a place with no frat house atmosphere (although I'm not knocking it!) without lots of people coming and going. Your thoughts, fellow porcupines? (You can email me directly at tim@timcondon.net.)  ---Tim

Kat Kanning

*vouches for Tim being a nice roomie*

alecmuller

*** February 2008, 3 open rooms at Porc Central ***

Hi Tim,

You're welcome to stay at my place when there's space - that varies quite a bit, though, so you might want to do what Dave Ridley is doing and start accumulating a bunch of different housing options that you can bounce back and forth between depending on how full each one is.  My house is fairly quiet (even when there are 8 of us here none of us makes very much noise) but there are often a lot of people coming and going.  There are 6 of us here now (counting Dave), and 3 open rooms, but usually it's much closer to being full.  The non-transient housemates (i.e. people other than Dave) typically stay for 2-8 months, so I regularly have openings.

Alec

p.s. Kat thanks for the good word!  I've known of Tim for years even though we haven't crossed paths yet, and it's always nice to have a good reference for a potential roommate.

alecmuller

*** March 2008, 4 rooms open at Porc Central in Manchester ***

There will be 5 of us here and 4 open rooms as of Friday (3 at $475 and 1 at $350 per month), so please send me an email if you're interested.

Alec
alecmuller at gmail.com

error

Yeah, the house is starting to get real quiet. It'll be even quieter when I'm gone. :)

dalebert

Quote from: error on March 02, 2008, 04:23 PM NHFT
Yeah, the house is starting to get real quiet. It'll be even quieter when I'm gone. :)

No it won't. Well... people using the upstairs restroom won't hear that keyboard banging I suppose. :)