• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mothers for Liberty

Started by Kat Kanning, March 20, 2005, 05:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

jejstover

Group's description: This is a discussion group dedicated to the ideas and practices of raising libertarian children and actions best taken to guarantee Liberty for the next generation.

I started this group about a month ago hoping to strike a cord with mothers looking for a way to share ideas, questions and experiences - all in an effort to preserve and defend our liberties for the next generation.? (and who better to do so than those actually raising the next generation)

I was so pleased to find this post on NH Underground...thanks for helping me spread the word!

Jan Stover
Founder~ Mothers for Liberty

"The Hand that Rocks the Cradle Rules the World"

Dave Ridley

Welcome, Jan!  I think I've heard of you but can't remember where... hope you will continue to hang around here!

jejstover

Thanks for the welcome!

You may have seen my name on a few message boards (www.freestateproject.org ?) and some Libertarian yahoo groups. I've been trying to promote the concept behind Mothers for Liberty by putting the idea out there in as many appropriate venues as possible.

Raising and posting issues that hit home with liberty-loving moms certainly creates some interesting dialogue! Currently homeschooling vs government schools is a hot topic on the Mothers for Liberty yahoo group - if you'd like to weigh in on the subject, please join us and feel free to add your 2 cents -? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MothersForLiberty/? I'd love to have your input -? we currently have over 25 members and I love to see the group growing and reaching out to other mothers.

Now to borrow Michael Badnarik's closing signature ... Let's Keep Lighting the Fires of Liberty, One (Mother's) Heart at a Time ~

Jan

jejstover

Ladies,

I'd like to get everyone's take on the idea of creating a "Mothers for Liberty" website and eventually starting a "Mothers for Liberty" national organization - with state and/or regional chapters. Our yahoo group ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MothersForLiberty/ ) has been providing some interesting comments and I think there would be some real interest in such an organization.

The purpose and intent of each would be similar to what has been described on the yahoo group: "Dedicated to the ideas and practices of raising libertarian children and actions best taken to guarantee Liberty for the next generation. We hope to encourage a dialogue among mothers (and women of all ages) which will in turn promote Liberty and Justice for all."?

I would also promote the concept of "Friends of Mothers for Liberty" which would hopefully provide for greater outreach opportunities...

Any feedback/questions on the idea would be greatly appreciated!

Jan

jejstover

In one of our first "Mothers for Liberty" posts, I was asked by one of our homeschooling members, "How would I define a "Libertarian Mother"? With Mother's Day coming up this Sunday, I thought it might be appropriate to post my comments on the subject here as well. Hope other moms will do the same.

Thanks,

Jan

-----

Darlene wrote: How would you define "a Libertarian Mother"?

------
What a great question and what a good beginning you already have by being a homeschooling mom. Taking the responsibility of raising and teaching our children is a vital part of the definition. Reclaiming the right AND the responsibility to educate our children as we see fit is perhaps paramount in our quest for Liberty. Teaching them to be responsible for their actions, to understand there is no such thing as a free lunch - nor should there be, to think "outside the box" and to be grounded in the knowledge of our Founding Documents - the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution - are all things consistent with Libertarian Mothering.

In less lofty terms, here's what I did as a Libertarian Mother. I let my boys explore, debate, question, disagree, complain, challenge and teach ME a thing or two.

I involved them with our family's business endeavors so they would see free enterprise at work first hand. I wrote articles and letters to the editor so they would know the importance of a free press. I took on causes, explained my actions and stood by them as they fought their own fights.

We talked politics, tried to live our principles and loved them thru thick and thin.

Jan Stover
Founder ~ Mothers for Liberty
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MothersForLiberty/

P.S. Happy Mother's Day, Ladies!

jejstover

5/18/05
Announced on the official Badnarik Blog at: http://www.badnarik.org/

Badnarik Endorses "Mothers for Liberty"

Here is another group of Mothers that are joining forces for the betterment of their children. I have already mentioned their list in a previous post, but it couldn't hurt to mention them again. They currently have a Yahoo group, and they are planning to launch a website, soon. I encourage you to check out the messages at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MothersForLiberty/ and hopefully subscribe if you would like to help them with their efforts. My mother, Elaine, is one of the contributors.

The list is self-described thusly: This is a discussion group dedicated to the ideas and practices of raising libertarian children and actions best taken to guarantee Liberty for the next generation. We hope to encourage a dialogue among mothers (and women of all ages) which will in turn promote liberty and justice for all.

~ Michael Badnarik 2004 Libertarian Presidential Candidate

-------------

4/13/05
In an earlier post, Michael also writes:

One of the women I met in Springfield has organized a new Yahoo group called "Mothers for Liberty". The purpose of this group is to coordinate the efforts of Libertarian Moms who want to leave a better world for their children. They have honored my mother, Elaine, by asking her to join them as one of their regular contributors. I have great expectations for this group. Never underestimate the power of a determined mother.

jejstover

Congress is about to expand the drug war - DON'T LET THEM DO IT !!!

New legislation currently making its way through the House of Representatives poses a grave threat. If passed, H.R. 1528 will force
Americans to INFORM (snitch) on their family members, friends or neighbors within 24 hours of acquiring any knowledge about their
involvement in drug related activity, including marijuana.

H.R. 1528 is supposedly designed to "protect children" from drugs -- but the bill is actually anti-family and its implications are far more sinister. Read on....

* If your adult brothers or sisters have children and mention to you that they and their spouses sometimes smoke marijuana in their
bedroom after their kids are asleep, you would be required to immediately inform on them or face prison time.

* If a neighbor under 21 mentions buying some marijuana for a party, you would be required to report him or her to the government or risk
jail time yourself.

* Observe one student passing a joint to another, and you could fall under this law. You would be required to report the incident to
authorities within 24 hours or risk prosecution and a mandatory minimum sentence of two years in prison.

What a threatening new environment this proposed legislation would create for everyone! It would erect barriers of paranoia between
family members, friends, and neighbors and is rife with potential for police abuse, extortion, and the creation of false informants.

DownsizeDC.org is mounting a campaign to defeat this bill. Visit http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=28 to learn more and then
TAKE ACTION BY SENDING A MESSAGE TO CONGRESS telling them what you think of this bill. Please send a message now, while we can still
stop this terrible legislation!

--------

This is scary stuff! My brother and I were talking about this bill yesterday. I checked out the link last night and sent the prepared
message (along with a strong personal message)to our representatives.

A nation of snitches (either rewarded FOR or punished for NOT snitching) is a dangerous proposition and a far cry from what I want
for myself or my children.

Any thoughts? For more discussion go to: Mothers for Liberty at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MothersForLiberty/

Jan

ravelkinbow

jejstover

Hi Jenn ... as they say, "Fancy meeting you here!"

Just wondering - what are your thoughts on HR 1528?

Jan

ravelkinbow

Quote from: jejstover on June 04, 2005, 08:37 AM NHFT
Hi Jenn ... as they say, "Fancy meeting you here!"

I just had to say Hi when I saw your post, I was thinking the same thing...LOL

Quote from: jejstover on June 04, 2005, 08:37 AM NHFT
Just wondering - what are your thoughts on HR 1528?

I am absolutely against it!!? I hope everyone takes the time to contact their respective representatives in opposition to this ridiculous bill!!? Where do I begin as to what is wrong with this bill...it attempts to pit American against American of course what better way to keep us in line than to have afraid of our own shadow!? This of course is only a gateway bill in my minds eye.? Next it would be illegal to not report your neighbor for having a disparaging remark against a government official or for taking 13 items into the 12 item or less line.

There is a great website that gives a link to help you contact your representatives and gives a good article against this bill.
The site is www.downsizedc.org? To quote Jim Bubka:

"Sensenbrenner wants to make it the law that if you do not inform on your neighbors you can be sentenced to prison! This kind of a system ? neighbors informing on neighbors ? was a key feature of past totalitarian regimes. Is this really what we want for America?"

I know that is not what I want and is in fact what I fear our country will come too... one step closer to nazism.

jejstover

I was visiting another message board the other day when I came across these references to our " Mothers for Liberty" yahoo group.

"Recently, in a wonderful new email group, Mothers for Liberty (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MothersForLiberty), the topic was raised about libertarian women. Someone forwarded a link on an article written on the subject a couple of years ago by Allison Brown (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/brown6.html). I found the viewpoints interesting and accurate in some ways. But I don?t think it?s the whole story."...

and ... It (Mothers for Liberty) was a great idea and is a fabulous group.?

I'm always pleased to see that our message is getting out there and thrilled that other liberty-loving women deem our "Mothers for Liberty" group worthy of a mention!? The first time I came across an unsolicited post about our group was actually Kat's post here on NH Underground.? Must admit it was exciting to see.?

As our membership grows (almost 50 now) I realized it is in no small part due to our members spreading the word.? Thanks for everyone who has shared our info and our link with others!

Jan

jejstover

We've been talking on some of the other message boards about planning a National Libertarian Women's Conference. Would be a real opportunity to get Libertarian women and libertarian-leaning women talking, networking, organizing, etc...

Any ideas?

Jan

freedombabe

Quote from: jejstover on July 01, 2005, 12:43 AM NHFT
We've been talking on some of the other message boards about planning a National Libertarian Women's Conference. Would be a real opportunity to get Libertarian women and libertarian-leaning women talking, networking, organizing, etc...

Any ideas?

Jan

Any update on this?

jejstover

Several of us have been talking about a more regional approach at first ... starting with smaller Libertarian Women's Conferences held throughout the country. Maybe tri-state conferences would be appropriate. For example, I currently live in Illinois and can imagine a successful conference which would include women from Illinois as well as our neighboring states of Missouri and Indiana. After such valuable coalitions were formed, we could meld these tri-state conferences into the National Libertarian Women's Conference we would all love to see happen!

Any thoughts?

Jan