• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

AK74?

Started by FTL_Ian, December 27, 2006, 01:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonybpugh

it looks like the AK-74 has a muzzlebreak which would reduce muzzle climb but make it a lot louder.  it also looks like the .223 is better at punching through kevlar flack jackets than the 7.62 so the Soviets decided to make a round of similar size.

Ammo for the 5.45 isn't that bad either. 

1,000 rds. 70-gr. 5.45x39 FMJ Ammo  for  $154.97.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=299537 

Hitting a pie plate at 200 yards is easy.  I can hit a pie plate at 300 yards and a man sized target at 500 yards with open sights with an M-16.  easy stuff

money dollars

Quote from: anthonybpugh on January 03, 2007, 02:06 PM NHFT
it looks like the AK-74 has a muzzlebreak which would reduce muzzle climb but make it a lot louder.
both 74 and 47 can have muzzlebreaks/flash suppressors. I had a 4 piece 7.62 flash suppressor that also made the gun less noisy..but not much....

Ammo for the 5.45 isn't that bad either. 

1,000 rds. 70-gr. 5.45x39 FMJ Ammo  for  $154.97.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=299537
I used to get 7.62x39 for less than $100 for 1000 rounds...and that was just a couple years ago. Also, I find that 7.62x39 tends to be more common. I can walk into most stores that sell ammo and buy 7.62x39.

Hitting a pie plate at 200 yards is easy.  I can hit a pie plate at 300 yards and a man sized target at 500 yards with open sights with an M-16.  easy stuff
I think the biggest problem with the AK is the sights. I prefer a rear apature, similar to the m-16. There is an aftermaket replacment called the Mojo

KBCraig

Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake
Muzzle brake

And yeah, the Mojos are good sights, but not handily adjustable. I've been meaning to put them on my K31 and M44.

Kevin

Barterer

Well I might not be as spazzy as I thought. :P The SKS with its stock, open sights is hitting at least 5 of 10 shots within a 3in radius, at 100 yards.  The rest of the shots aren't too far off. 
Maybe one of you crack-shots can give me some tips for further improvement when I move to NH.  I think I got me a good SKS!  8)

JonM

And so are you guys participating in the Free State Match?
http://www.freestateproject.org/freestatematch

KBCraig

Quote from: Jon Maltz on January 03, 2007, 08:49 PM NHFT

I looked at it a couple of days ago when I spotted it.

And frankly, I couldn't figure it out. Perhaps I'm just slow, but I've participated in postal matches before, and they consisted of "Shoot this many rounds at this target at this distance and mail it in."

KBCraig

Quote from: Barterer on January 03, 2007, 08:25 PM NHFT
Well I might not be as spazzy as I thought. :P The SKS with its stock, open sights is hitting at least 5 of 10 shots within a 3in radius, at 100 yards.  The rest of the shots aren't too far off.

On the left target, you have vertical stringing, which generally denotes improper breath control. The horizontal stringing on the right target could be wind (but this was an indoor range, right?), flinching, or poor trigger control. Most likely, it's from not getting the same stock weld each time.

But I have to say there's nothing really wrong with those groups, if they were at 100 yards. That's really the limit of the 7.62x39, because it loses energy quickly. Hold the target over your chest and look at the holes... every shot would have counted.

Were you standing/sitting/prone, or shooting from a bench (either supported, or not)?

Kevin

JonM

Quote from: KBCraig on January 03, 2007, 10:14 PM NHFT

I looked at it a couple of days ago when I spotted it.

And frankly, I couldn't figure it out. Perhaps I'm just slow, but I've participated in postal matches before, and they consisted of "Shoot this many rounds at this target at this distance and mail it in."

I believe that is essentially what it is.
http://www.freestateproject.org/freestatematch/fsm01

More matches to come, from what I understand.

Barterer

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of it.  With some practice I will get to where my targets won't be laughed out of the contest.  Are preliminary results posted anywhere?

Quote from: KBCraig on January 03, 2007, 10:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: Barterer on January 03, 2007, 08:25 PM NHFT

On the left target, you have vertical stringing, which generally denotes improper breath control. The horizontal stringing on the right target could be wind (but this was an indoor range, right?), flinching, or poor trigger control. Most likely, it's from not getting the same stock weld each time.

But I have to say there's nothing really wrong with those groups, if they were at 100 yards. That's really the limit of the 7.62x39, because it loses energy quickly. Hold the target over your chest and look at the holes... every shot would have counted.

Were you standing/sitting/prone, or shooting from a bench (either supported, or not)?

Kevin
Yeah I was flinching all over the place.  I'd never been to an indoor range and it was louder than I expected, so I was a bit shaky.  Having the gun propped and sitting on a stool helped quite a bit.  I was getting pretty good trigger control. The trigger pull is pretty sweet (of course I took the whole thing apart yesterday and cleaned/oiled it).

Not to derail the thread too much, I guess my point is: don't discount the SKS if considering an AK.  A slightly longer, heavier gun probably gets better results for beginners.  I agree about the peep sights and muzzle brakes.. anything that reduces kick has got to help accuracy, and I have gotten excellent results with a Williams peep sight on my pellet gun.  Perhaps an AK can be modified to be more beginner-friendly, but I will not be making any (external) mods to my SKS, as I'm smitten with its looks  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Barterer on January 03, 2007, 11:06 PM NHFT
I will not be making any (external) mods to my SKS, as I'm smitten with its looks  ;D

You should be; it's a lovely rifle. It's darker than most Yugos; they tend to be pretty blonde.

I've never shot a centerfire rifle at an indoor range; I'm sure I'd flinch too. Good shootin', and keep up the practice!

Thursday morning, we're going to the range, to let Mini-Me shoot for the first time. He turned 4 in November, so we're getting a late start.  ;)

Darling Daughter (just turned 17) will get some practice with her mom's revolver, too. This range trip is all about the kids.

Kevin

anthonybpugh

If you are concerned about accuracy, then why get an SKS or an AK?  I love shooting the SKS but it isn't exactly a good long range weapon.  They are better for targets that are within a hundred or two hundred yards.  An M-16 would be accurate a further out and their maximum effective range for a point target is 550 yards and I think the maximum effective range of the AK-47 is about 300-400 yd. 

money dollars

For long range shooting(past 400 meters), I would go with something in 7.62x51.

http://users.frii.com/gosplow/satiws.html
The 5.56 NATO and the 7.62x39 are at their best at ranges under 300 to 400 yards maximum. The type of weapon that will make the most of these cartridges is a quick handling, short (16") barreled carbine. In urban environments these carbines would be quite useful and effective.

The 7.62 NATO is a battle rifle round, delivering double the power of the other two at their best, and able to reach out effectively at twice the range.

citizen_142002

Freedom is all about choice, but I personally think the AK-74 is inferior to the AK-47 from a tactical standpoint. Of course a good shooter can do the job with almost any reasonable weapon. The focus should be on what works for you. If you can pepper a target at 100 yards with an AK-74, you're better of than a guy who can't hit at 50 with an AK-47. The rifle is only half the equation.

I suppose the AK-74 might be a good training weapon for women and kids. The recoil from the 47 is by no means rough, but if you were shooting  hundreds of rounds at a time, it could bother new shooters.

The AK-74 is also rarer, and so it might be a better choice for a collector piece, or a conversation piece.

If you still aren't sure which you'd rather have, then I recomend you shoot both and see which one you like better. Or buy both.

Recumbent ReCycler

I prefer the AK47 over the 74.  Some who went to the 2005 Porcfest saw how much more energy was transferred to the targets from my 7.62 mm bullets than from the 5.56 mm bullets that came out of someone's AR15.  The soft point 7.62 x 39 ammo is available with heavier bullets than the hollow point or FMJ rounds.  I think the last batch of soft points that I bought for my MAK90 were 155 grains.  Now you can get new 30 round American made AK47 magazines for under $15 each from Centerfire Systems.  Foreign made magazines are available for as little as $5 each.  I have found my American made magazines to be very reliable (no problems yet), while some foreign made magazines have not been as reliable as others.

FTL_Ian

K.. I've been sold on the 47.  Now I'll have to keep my eyes open for one, screw buying from a dealer.