• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Benton land

Started by Pat McCotter, December 28, 2006, 04:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Driving to our northern dams I saw this land advertised. 380 acres in Benton, NH. $750,000.

Frontage on Rte 25; Oliverian Brook running through it. White Mountains NF on three sides. See NH Atlas page 42, K6. The light green area surrounded by dark green is the land.

[attachment deleted by admin]

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 28, 2006, 04:21 PM NHFT
Driving to our northern dams

They told Pat to "Get a dam job!", so he did.  ;D

That looks pretty decent. Less than $2k per acre. Of course, it depends on the state of the timber... ready to harvest, that's a steal. Recently cut, no way.

Kevin

Pat McCotter

CNHT

Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 28, 2006, 06:39 PM NHFT
Dam you, KB! :o Thanks!

BTW, here are some pictures: http://www.beangroup.com/real_estate/listings/Land/NH/Benton/498358
MLS is 2608632.

VIEW TAX! VIEW TAX!!!!

Quick, don't tell Gary Roberge! LOL

:nono:

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on December 28, 2006, 10:30 PM NHFT
VIEW TAX! VIEW TAX!!!!

Current use! Current use!

Of course, only structures have "views"... the land itself doesn't. That's why this parcel only has taxes of $629.

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on December 29, 2006, 09:16 AM NHFT
VIEW TAX! VIEW TAX!!!!

Of course, only structures have "views"... the land itself doesn't. That's why this parcel only has taxes of $629.

Yes, the point being, you build a house, then just wait 'til you see what they will do!

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on December 29, 2006, 10:00 AM NHFT

Yes, the point being, you build a house, then just wait 'til you see what they will do!

Yep. Calls for careful planning, so that there's no view from the house.

Kevin

error

Or, perhaps, no view OF the house FROM off the property.

Quantrill

Quote380 acres in Benton, NH. $750,000.

Put me down for 5 of those acres.  Now who's going to pay for the other 375??

Dreepa

Quote from: Quantrill on January 21, 2007, 03:50 PM NHFT
Quote380 acres in Benton, NH. $750,000.

Put me down for 5 of those acres.  Now who's going to pay for the other 375??
Ok I will take 10...
Send this to Jeremy Noyes if you are serious... I know he wanted to get a group together to buy a large piece.  But he could only get 2-3 people to front the cash to start it up.

KurtDaBear

Based on incidents I've read about out here in the West, the fact that a property borders on a State or Federal park, forest, wetland, seashore, preserve, parking lot, fort, armory, firing range, etc., is an immediate disqualifier.  You want to stay as far away from Gov't. gangsta's as you possibly can.

KBCraig

Quote from: KurtDaBear on January 21, 2007, 10:52 PM NHFT
Based on incidents I've read about out here in the West, the fact that a property borders on a State or Federal park, forest, wetland, seashore, preserve, parking lot, fort, armory, firing range, etc., is an immediate disqualifier.  You want to stay as far away from Gov't. gangsta's as you possibly can.

The USFS is very different from most fed agencies. They're not into land grabs at all, and they're completely cool with whatever the gun laws are in each state.

National Park Service, Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management... yeah. Stay far away from them, because they love to gobble up adjoining property, even if the owners don't want to sell. Their mission is to "preserve" land; i.e., to take it away from people so that it can be "saved" for everyone else.

The Forest Service, though, is still part of the Department of Agriculture, and they treat timberlands as a resource. They know trees are a crop, not a museum. They welcome hiking, hunting, camping, target shooting...  8)

I grew up surrounded by the Ouachita National Forest. I wouldn't hesitate to be surrounded by the White Mountains National Forest (in fact, I'd love it).

Kevin

Quantrill

Quote from: Dreepa on January 21, 2007, 10:38 PM NHFT
Ok I will take 10...
Send this to Jeremy Noyes if you are serious... I know he wanted to get a group together to buy a large piece.  But he could only get 2-3 people to front the cash to start it up.

Jeremy Noyes?

FrankChodorov

VIEW TAX! VIEW TAX!!!!

regarding the view - it doesn't matter whether or not a structure is there or not...it only matters whether the market values the views or not.

KBCraig

Quote from: Quantrill on January 22, 2007, 09:31 PM NHFT
Jeremy Noyes?

Search the FSP forum for him, and "White Mountain Land Club".