• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Mass. 'best state for struggling families'"

Started by KBCraig, December 29, 2006, 04:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Yeah, roit.  ::)

The statists have run amok.

http://bob.wjla.com/headlines/1206/383959.html

New State Laws Raise the Minimum Wage
UPDATED - Friday December 29, 2006 3:45pm from our sister station WJLA-TV

For hundreds of thousands of minimum-wage workers around the country, the new year brings a raise. Musicians worried about copycats get some protection in Illinois. And California takes steps to reduce the power-plant pollution that is believed to contribute to global warming.

Jan. 1 brings new laws in many states, offering both a glimpse of what is on the voters' minds and a preview of some of the issues Washington might take up. Many states take action long before Congress does.

Seven states - Arizona, California, Delaware, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina and Pennsylvania - are raising their minimum wage. The federal minimum is $5.15 an hour. The new wages go as high as $7.50 an hour.

"We've made Massachusetts the best state to live in for struggling working families," said Carl Nilsson, an activist for poor people, citing the higher minimum wage and an earlier state law that requires health care insurance for all.

In Illinois, copycat musical groups who misrepresent themselves as the original artists will face fines of up to $50,000. The new law requires live acts to make it clear in their advertising that they are a salute or a tribute to the real thing.

"From now on when the public goes to a rock 'n' roll show in the area, they can be sure the artist is the original, and not some rip-off band," said Mary Wilson of The Supremes. Supporters are pushing for similar laws in every state.

Frustrated by what some see as inaction in Washington, California passed a law that seeks to force coal-burning plants in the western U.S. to install cleaner technology if they want to sell power in the nation's most populous state.

States also dealt with immigration (Nurses from other countries must have English language proficiency to practice in South Carolina), eminent domain (Illinois requires local governments to pay more and meet a higher legal threshold before seizing private property), and campaign finance (North Carolina and Pennsylvania set stricter rules).

Alaska will provide school systems with training to help prevent bullying, while South Carolina will require districts to adopt policies barring harassment, intimidation or bullying.

"We were getting too many complaints from parents that their children were being bullied and intimidated," said state Rep. Robert Walker. They were "fearing to go to school."

Crime and punishment, as always, were high on the agenda. Wisconsin took steps to guard against wrongful convictions by requiring law enforcement agencies to record all interrogations of felony suspects, with either video or audio.

Alabama and West Virginia cut taxes on the poorest, and North Carolina lowered taxes on the highest earners. New York and Oklahoma dropped the so-called marriage penalty that imposed higher taxes on married couples than on single people. South Dakota and Texas raised taxes on cigarettes.

Georgia increased from 13 to 29 the number of screening tests performed on newborns to detect life-threatening metabolic and genetic disorders. Massachusetts' new health care law hits a new milestone, allowing those earning up to 300 percent of the federal poverty level to buy into subsidized plans. (Those at or below the poverty level are already being signed up for virtually free health care).

In Indiana, a new license plate featuring the American flag and the words "In God We Trust" will be available at no extra charge. Rep. Woody Burton, the sponsor, predicted they will "sell like crazy."

TEBON

Quote from: KBCraig on December 29, 2006, 04:05 PM NHFT
Yeah, roit.  ::)

The statists have run amok.

http://bob.wjla.com/headlines/1206/383959.html

New State Laws Raise the Minimum Wage
UPDATED - Friday December 29, 2006 3:45pm from our sister station WJLA-TV

For hundreds of thousands of minimum-wage workers around the country, the new year brings a raise. Musicians worried about copycats get some protection in Illinois. And California takes steps to reduce the power-plant pollution that is believed to contribute to global warming.

Jan. 1 brings new laws in many states, offering both a glimpse of what is on the voters' minds and a preview of some of the issues Washington might take up. Many states take action long before Congress does.

Seven states - Arizona, California, Delaware, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina and Pennsylvania - are raising their minimum wage. The federal minimum is $5.15 an hour. The new wages go as high as $7.50 an hour.

"We've made Massachusetts the best state to live in for struggling working families," said Carl Nilsson, an activist for poor people, citing the higher minimum wage and an earlier state law that requires health care insurance for all.

In Illinois, copycat musical groups who misrepresent themselves as the original artists will face fines of up to $50,000. The new law requires live acts to make it clear in their advertising that they are a salute or a tribute to the real thing.

"From now on when the public goes to a rock 'n' roll show in the area, they can be sure the artist is the original, and not some rip-off band," said Mary Wilson of The Supremes. Supporters are pushing for similar laws in every state.

Frustrated by what some see as inaction in Washington, California passed a law that seeks to force coal-burning plants in the western U.S. to install cleaner technology if they want to sell power in the nation's most populous state.

States also dealt with immigration (Nurses from other countries must have English language proficiency to practice in South Carolina), eminent domain (Illinois requires local governments to pay more and meet a higher legal threshold before seizing private property), and campaign finance (North Carolina and Pennsylvania set stricter rules).

Alaska will provide school systems with training to help prevent bullying, while South Carolina will require districts to adopt policies barring harassment, intimidation or bullying.

"We were getting too many complaints from parents that their children were being bullied and intimidated," said state Rep. Robert Walker. They were "fearing to go to school."

Crime and punishment, as always, were high on the agenda. Wisconsin took steps to guard against wrongful convictions by requiring law enforcement agencies to record all interrogations of felony suspects, with either video or audio.

Alabama and West Virginia cut taxes on the poorest, and North Carolina lowered taxes on the highest earners. New York and Oklahoma dropped the so-called marriage penalty that imposed higher taxes on married couples than on single people. South Dakota and Texas raised taxes on cigarettes.

Georgia increased from 13 to 29 the number of screening tests performed on newborns to detect life-threatening metabolic and genetic disorders. Massachusetts' new health care law hits a new milestone, allowing those earning up to 300 percent of the federal poverty level to buy into subsidized plans. (Those at or below the poverty level are already being signed up for virtually free health care).

In Indiana, a new license plate featuring the American flag and the words "In God We Trust" will be available at no extra charge. Rep. Woody Burton, the sponsor, predicted they will "sell like crazy."

Massachusetts, best state for lazy layabouts and minorities to get free money so they can buy more stuff they don't need, and be spared the expense of living a life where you aren't a drain on everyone who does.

Before I get blasted for the 'minority' aspect of my rant. . . I'll be happy to show you proof-- my boy Carlos, a proud libertarian, and a hispanic. . . makes roughly the same amount of money as I do. . . same life at the moment, living on our own, low income, and few years of college.  So we sat around one night and saw if either of us would get MassHealth if we tried.  I did not, but he does. . . and food stamps.

For those that think race doesn't matter. . . . it does.  Hope you're not blanco.  But if you are, there's an equalizer. . . pop some kids out and you'll see some cash come rollin' in.

error

Get rid of welfare. Get rid of welfare. Get rid of welfare.

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Caleb

QuoteIn Indiana, a new license plate featuring the American flag and the words "In God We Trust" will be available at no extra charge. Rep. Woody Burton, the sponsor, predicted they will "sell like crazy."

Woody Burton was my state rep when I lived in Indiana.  Just to contrast Indiana vs. here ... I wanted to talk to Woody once about an issue.  I called his office and was told that it would be six months before he could meet with me.  I went to his office (because the issue was pressing), and was told that he wasn't in, and that at any rate he doesn't meet with people unless they have a scheduled meeting.

Contrast that with New Hampshire, where I can call my rep's home number (listed on the website).