• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Not many Porcs on the "Seacoast"?

Started by PowerPenguin, December 31, 2006, 01:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Hey all. I've spent most of my two decades so far on Earth living near the Pacific Ocean. If possible, I'd like to move to Portsmouth, which is near the Atlantic (obviously). Based on the level of activity on this forum, would I be correct in assuming that not many of you live in the area? If so, why? What is it like, and how expensive is it? Note: I come from Socal, so if it's less than $800/mo, it's cheap!

Rosie the Riveter

I know that there are porcs that live in the Seacost area, but you are right, for NH is the most expensive area to live in. One of the great things about NH is the size. I live in Manchester and am able to get to the beach in less than an hour. NH is small enough that you can enjoy all the state has to offer from just about anywhere. 

From my experience, Portsmouth is a lot of fun. It has a sweet downtown area with fun bars and shops. You might enjoy http://www.seacoastonline.com/ (you can find apartment listings etc) I think that you will find that most apartments are $1000+

I'm sure someone from the Seacost will chime in here and provide even more info.

TEBON

I live in Salisbury, MA. . . rents here, not less than 900 a month, and I've been looking like crazy. . . not that I have that first/last/security saved up yet. . . but I will, and screw MA when I do.

I hear ya, there are quasi-libs around, but the ones I talk to want total freedom, but at the same time they want government to take over the health care industry (again), and want free tolls, and want free this and free that.  So they're more like liberals than they are libertarians. . . they vote for liberals because they don't like republicans. 

Personally, I could care less what party the pols are from,I want results.  LIBERTARIAN results.

I think if there are any porcs in the seacoast area, maybe a get together would be possible?  Porcs in Seabrook, Hampton, Rye, Portsmouth, and even down the 101. . .I'd drive to Portsmouth to enjoy some discussions with people.  Or maybe in the spring a meeting at Odirone Point (sp?) -- a beautiful place to hike around and check out the old forts.

T

AlanM

I live in Exeter. There are others who live in Portsmouth and Dover. Seacoast Porcs have had a few summer meetings at Odiorne.

Pat McCotter

Do y'all still meet at Gateway in Somersworth, Alan? 3rd Saturday of the month?

AlanM

Quote from: Pat McCotter on December 31, 2006, 09:00 AM NHFT
Do y'all still meet at Gateway in Somersworth, Alan? 3rd Saturday of the month?

I don't go anymore, but I believe that is correct, Pat.

davemincin

I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions if possible.  First the Seacoast is a region, not simply 17 miles of ocean front.

I know of two family who moved to Portsmouth this summer and a dozen or so who call it home.  Housing is not appreciable more that what you would pay in
Manchester or Concord.  If you are looking for seasonal housing you can live in
Hampton on the cheap in the winter, and many of our other communites have affordable housing, and easy access to the ocean.  I might add our road system gives easy access to most of NH, as well as Boston.

It may appear on this forum that few porcs have moved to the Seacoast Region, but in truth that is an incorrect assumption.  We simply do not post here on a regular basis.  We have chosen a different route, to become good neighbors and work quietly within our neighborhoods, with our neighbors to promote freedom.  Isn't freedom about choice?

Yes, we continue to meet every third Saturday at the Gateway, however in December we chose to go caroling at St Anne's, and btw it was really a lot of fun. :)

TEBON

Quote from: davemincin on December 31, 2006, 09:26 AM NHFT
I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions if possible.  First the Seacoast is a region, not simply 17 miles of ocean front.

I know of two family who moved to Portsmouth this summer and a dozen or so who call it home.  Housing is not appreciable more that what you would pay in
Manchester or Concord.  If you are looking for seasonal housing you can live in
Hampton on the cheap in the winter, and many of our other communites have affordable housing, and easy access to the ocean.  I might add our road system gives easy access to most of NH, as well as Boston.

It may appear on this forum that few porcs have moved to the Seacoast Region, but in truth that is an incorrect assumption.  We simply do not post here on a regular basis.  We have chosen a different route, to become good neighbors and work quietly within our neighborhoods, with our neighbors to promote freedom.  Isn't freedom about choice?

Yes, we continue to meet every third Saturday at the Gateway, however in December we chose to go caroling at St Anne's, and btw it was really a lot of fun. :)

is there anyone that thinks if you live at hampton beach you're in the seacoast, but if you live on Route 1.  . . you're not?

Personally, I think it's all about perception.  I don't think Somersworth is part of the seacoast, nor dover, nor Newmarket. . . . and since there are not physical boundaries I would say it's up to the individual. 

When someone says Seacoast to me, it means they are in a town bordering the ocean, or a town that borders a town that borders the ocean.  The road systems enable all of us to use the beaches just as easily as one could use 93 or 16 to get to the Mountains.  I don't call Hampton part of the Mountains area.

Anyways, you do the meetings where you can find a place. . . I have no gripes about that.  In fact, I'm not really griping about anything.   ;D

Rosie the Riveter

If you take the states word for it

Detailed map of the Seacost region
http://www.visitnh.gov/mapsDisp.html?map=sc

Rocketman

Quote from: castle_chaser on December 31, 2006, 01:14 PM NHFT

Aw, hell.  Since when was gubmint ever right?   :D

davemincin

Thanks Castle Chaser....Hoping you have a fruitful New Year! :)

Lloyd Danforth

I'm a little surprised About Plaistow..  It looks as if John John Connell could walk out his back yard in Nashua and enter the Seacoast.......area.

I always learn somthing new looking at a map.   Be the FIRST one in the NEW YEAR  to buy a New Hampshire Atlas for a  MERE  $15.00.  I'll pay the postage and send 5 bucks to the Libert Scholarship Fund.
Contact me or Kat & Russell

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: davemincin on December 31, 2006, 05:03 PM NHFT

Thanks Castle Chaser....Hoping you have a fruitful New Year! :)

Thanks Dave --I'm sure my year will be fruity if not fruitful  ;D I wish I was getting to party with you to celebrate the New Year.... You are so much fun.

I hope to see you soon.

~Kate

Dreepa

Quote from: davemincin on December 31, 2006, 09:26 AM NHFT
We have chosen a different route, to become good neighbors and work quietly within our neighborhoods, with our neighbors to promote freedom. 
That statement seems to imply that you can't be a good neighbor AND post.

Russell Kanning

I love it when Dave uses the word "quietly" to describe himself.