• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Not many Porcs on the "Seacoast"?

Started by PowerPenguin, December 31, 2006, 01:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie the Riveter

PowerPenguin

Russell you are in Keene, right? I would be cool with any place w/in 30 min from the ocean, which I guess isn't hard in NH. The entire state is about half the size of my home county in CA ;). I'll be moving there right out of college, so wherever I end up will probably be my first rental and first *real* move on my own I guess you could say. That said, what tips do you veteran movers have? I won't be moving for about 1.5 years, but I figure it's better to start earlier rather than later.

Having no experience and not a lot of money, I don't think the whole "moving on a whim" thing that some have done is good for me. If you're 35-45 and have a solid career, etc. I guess it is doable, but I'm just not in that situation. There will be many other students moving over the next 2-5 years I'd say, so it would be good to flesh these things out before then ;).

error

Have you signed the First 1000? Oh, wait...

Moving when you're a student just out of school is MUCH easier than moving when you're in your 30s, 40s, have a life, etc. Basically it's pack up the contents of your apartment, minus the empty pizza boxes, into the back of your car, fill 'er up, and go.

KBCraig

Quote from: powerpenguin on January 03, 2007, 12:47 AM NHFT
I would be cool with any place w/in 30 min from the ocean, which I guess isn't hard in NH. The entire state is about half the size of my home county in CA ;).

Just so you know, there's only a tiny sliver of the state that is within 30 minutes of the ocean. NH only has 13 miles of coastline, you know. And everything that's 30 minutes from the beach is fairly expensive.

Me, I'm moving to the west coast of NH. I plan to settle within minutes of the extreme northern inlet of Long Island Sound, otherwise known as the Connecticut River.  ;)

Heck, the banks of Israel's River or the Ammonoosuc are practically beaches on the Atlantic, if you look at it just right...  ;D

Kevin

error

Quote from: KBCraig on January 03, 2007, 02:07 AM NHFT
Quote from: powerpenguin on January 03, 2007, 12:47 AM NHFT
I would be cool with any place w/in 30 min from the ocean, which I guess isn't hard in NH. The entire state is about half the size of my home county in CA ;).

Just so you know, there's only a tiny sliver of the state that is within 30 minutes of the ocean. NH only has 13 miles of coastline, you know. And everything that's 30 minutes from the beach is fairly expensive.

Good point. NH is bigger than it looks on the map. Of course, much of that space is mountains, but still... And there are almost no straight roads in the state. To get from point A to point B is a series of long winding roads and turnoffs and rotaries. Wait, I think I remember seeing a straight road in Manchester, but it wasn't all that long... :)

TEBON

I got my proverbial ass kicked for calling the Route 1 TRAFFIC CIRCLE a rotary the other day.  I said but it IS a rotary!  You know, those things that EVERYONE has the right of way in. . . coming in or getting out everyone for themselves.  At least in MA it is lol.

I personally live near the seacoast in Salisbury (massholechusetts) and rents here are crazy, you can live cheap at Hampton Beach, but personally I'm looking at Newmarket/Exeter/Stratham/Seabrook/Hampton for starters.  I love the seacoast, and I can't remember a day I didn't drive down 1A.

anyways, if you need help looking for a place, or if you find one and want pictures or anything let me know I'll gladly go there and do any of that you're looking for.  It's gotta be hard trying to do that from California.

T

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: error on January 03, 2007, 02:17 AM NHFT
Wait, I think I remember seeing a straight road in Manchester, but it wasn't all that long... :)

"Elm Street (which is considered the Main Street of Manchester) is actually a dead end in both directions. It is said to be the longest dead end street in the country."  ;)

http://www.newhampshire.com/about-nh/magnificent-main-streets.aspx

Jared

i'm in the seacoast region now, but still in maine. i actually grew up here. i will soon be crossing the border into the portsmouth/dover/rochester area.

BaRbArIaN

If you could change the meetings to Sundays or weeknights other than Wednesdays, I could come.

Quantrill

QuoteThat said, what tips do you veteran movers have? I won't be moving for about 1.5 years, but I figure it's better to start earlier rather than later.

I was out of school for about 9 months when I came to NH for the Liberty Forum.  By a strange series of events, I got a job offer in Manchester while I was here.  1 month later I moved to NH.  You never know what will happen.  I would suggest getting out here to visit (can you make it to PORCFEST?), see what places you like and where you may be able to find a source of income.  There are people who rent out rooms/apts./attics very reasonable and some of us already here can help you find a place.  I got help from NH natives and would be happy to assist others looking to move.

You can pay your bills from here just as easily as there.  I'm making more money than I was and paying far fewer taxes than I was.  The sooner you can get here the better!!!