• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Target/Best Buy complex off of 107/ Route 1

Started by TEBON, December 31, 2006, 09:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TEBON

from seacoastventures.net

In August, Developers Diversified Realty of Beachwood, Ohio, proposed 441,000 square feet of 15 retail stores on 46 acres, with a Target as the anchor. DDR plans to convert the former auto manufacturing space of Bailey?s Corp. and Venture Seabrook into a retail site directly across the street from Interstate 95 access. The plan has run into stumbling blocks from a number of sources. Seabrook?s fire chief has more than hinted he wants the town to get a half-million dollar aerial ladder truck out of the deal.

Chief Jeff Brown called DDR?s plan the town?s biggest building project since the construction of the Seabrook Station nuclear power plant. His department could not combat a fire at the retail center without the truck, said Brown, who was refusing to sign off on the project as a department head until the issue is addressed.

DDR representative, attorney Malcolm McNeill Jr. of Dover, made no comment on the proposal at an August Seabrook Planning Board meeting.

The estimated value of the proposed shopping center is $101 million, McNeill said, representing 5.6 percent of Seabrook?s tax base. Another potential roadblock on Route 1 development is Seabrook Station, owned by FPL Energy. The planned DDR site borders the access road to the nuclear plant.

?We don?t want to see traffic backed up on Route 1,? said Sarah Gebo, representing FPL Energy Seabrook Station, at the same Planning Board meeting.

Route 1 is a state road. Two years ago, the N.H. Department of Transportation widened Route 1 at the Route 107 intersection to ease traffic congestion. A 10- year plan calls for the further widening of Route 1 from Seabrook to Portsmouth. In addition, Route 1 abuts residential property. The Planning Board in August listened to concerns from abutters who listed noise from trucks, dumpsters, fans and compactors; traffic congestion; tractor-trailers idling and parking overnight, as well as lights and drainage, as reasons to put strict controls on commercial operations.

Yet Seabrook so far has been a developmentfriendly town. Paul Garand, the town?s building inspector, sees growth just beginning. Other potential sites include Northgate Plaza where an Ames was formerly located. The strip mall already includes one of the two Market Basket grocery stores in town. There?s speculation of a development at the Seacoast Truck Center, located north of Staples, or on the 10 acres located south of Lowe?s. Already approved is a 78-room Holiday Inn Express at the Rocks Road intersection, with a restaurant yet to be identified.
-------------------------

Any seacoasters worried about what this is going to do to the town?  Anyone that travels Route 1 north of Staples to the lights at McDonalds/Pizza Hut knows this. . . . . traffic.

On any given day, during daylight hours, and especially at rush hours. . . the area is impassable.  Route 107, and the bridge over 95 that brings you to southbound 95/495 (MA). . . is clogged as it is.  Now, we're adding a completely new complex to the area.  I haven't heard or seen anyone fighting the fact that the townies are the ones that are going to suffer with the traffic.  A new ladder truck?  Great. . . yeehaw. . . but is it going to be any good when the truck tries to get to a fire and can't because of the bottlenecks?  I guess I don't understand how Seabrook can handle that much more traffic to that area.  There's Wal-Mart/Home Depot/Lowes/Market Basket/Market Basket. . . (yes I said that twice).

I remember long ago when I was a kid, flying up Route 1 to the malls. . . now there's no reason to go to the mall with all the amenities we have around. 

I don't think having Best Buy and Target are bad ideas.  I just think they need to do their homework about the highway.  I suggested a double decker bridge built on top of the existing.  The existing. . . the offramps from the highway, shuttling people directly to Route 1.  The other two, getting people the frig out of Seabrook as quickly as possible.

Might as well, before they build the next Mall of America on the friggin marsh.

rowland

I've been that way a few times visiting clients in Seabrook. The traffic situation isn't good but it's far from the worst I've seen. And it's nice to get a little shopping done while I'm out and about anyway.

I think they can manage it if they just have enough traffic lights.

Dreepa

Quote from: freedominnh on March 05, 2007, 07:25 PM NHFT
I believe every Aubuchon is now closed in Southern New Hampshire.

There is one in Warner (exit 9)... but maybe that isn't considered Southern NH.

Lloyd Danforth