• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Dartmouth Area Monthly Porcupine Meeting

Started by Caleb, December 31, 2006, 11:12 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

the_liberty_belle

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 14, 2007, 06:40 AM NHFT
Aww...we can't make it this time.  Have fun, guys!

We'll miss you, Kat.  Hopefully next time.  I know you guys have the peace march in Keene that day, sounds like fun! :-)

the_liberty_belle

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 14, 2007, 06:47 AM NHFT
I guess the group will keep growing ... people keep moving. :)

Oh yea, this is awesome! 

I gotta get in touch with Dave Mincin about what he's been doing with his group for civic action/community service type activities.  I'd love to start doing some of that with our group.  Anyone who can't make it to the meeting on Saturday have any ideas or favorite local charitable organizations they like to support?

There is a half marathon for the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth coming up this summer: http://dhmcalumdev.hitchcock.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?&pid=401&srcid=407 

There's also the Good Neighbor clinic (unfortunately it's over the river in VT) which as far as I know is entirely (or very nearly entirely) privately funded via donations from businesses and individuals, and provides health care to poor and uninsured people.  They are staffed by volunteer doctors, nurses, medical students, etc.  They do a lot of preventative care which I like.  I work there and I think they are very well-run.  We could probably find some way to raise money for them. 

We could also do a fund raiser for the Liberty Scholarship. 

Just throwing some ideas out before our meeting.

Kat Kanning

I think Mincin did some caroling for old folks at Christmastime.  They also do the litter pickup on the highway.

the_liberty_belle

Those are good ideas.  I guess it's best to keep it as local as possible.  There are a lot of places with assisted living for elderly people around Hanover that we could try to get involved with. 

There's also Cover home repair, which I believe is similar to Habitat for Humanity, which we could get involved with.  That would be a good weekend type activity.

Lloyd Danforth

I've always though it would be cool if a bunch of us gave blood on the same day, wearing FSP T-Shirts.

the_liberty_belle

That's a great idea, Lloyd!

DHMC does blood donations, there is more info here: http://www.dhmc.org/webpage.cfm?site_id=2&org_id=91&gsec_id=0&sec_id=0&item_id=2008

Open weekdays:
Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday: 7:00 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday: 7:00 am to 2:30 pm

Email: DHMC.Blood.Program@Hitchcock.Org

We could try to get an idea of how many people would be willing/able to do this (since they are only open on during the weekdays it seems) and I could email the coordinator to make sure they could accommodate a big group.  This is a good thing to bring up at our meeting Sat. and if there is enough interest I'll put out an email to everyone with a date and time.

Russell Kanning

We might be able to come this Saturday.

Hey Peace .... can you come to the party?

error

Saturday? Probably won't make it. I'll be too busy UNPACKING. :) Or maybe shooting, or drinking, or something else.

Lloyd Danforth

When I came up with this idea, I was thinking Porc's could do it 'statewide' preferably on the same day,  again wearing shirts that identify us.  I was thinking Red Cross.  I see the RC is not everywhere in NH.  I, personally would like to donate to an organization that didn't charge for the blood.  I don't know if DHMC charges for blood.
Lloyd

Dreepa

Cathy welcome.... make sure you inform the FSP that you moved to NH so that they can change the counter.

Lloyd it would be cool but I think it would 'disperse' the results (if you want publicity) because 3-4 in each spot won't do it.

It might be a good idea to have the RC (or other) come up and do it on the Saturday at Porcfest.... I think that the RC usually wants about 50-60 pints when they send a mobile unit.

I was going to give on Monday but I was sick. >:(

the_liberty_belle

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 14, 2007, 08:38 AM NHFT
We might be able to come this Saturday.

Yay!

I'm sure we'll be there until at least 2 as that seems to be the trend in case you want to come late.  Last time we were there until almost 3, I believe.

the_liberty_belle

Quote from: error on March 14, 2007, 08:40 AM NHFT
Saturday? Probably won't make it. I'll be too busy UNPACKING. :) Or maybe shooting, or drinking, or something else.

You made it!!  Woohoo!!!

the_liberty_belle

Quote from: Dreepa on March 14, 2007, 09:00 AM NHFT
It might be a good idea to have the RC (or other) come up and do it on the Saturday at Porcfest.... I think that the RC usually wants about 50-60 pints when they send a mobile unit.

Hey, great idea!  Would you be willing to organize this?

Kat Kanning

Can you donate blood when your blood alcohol level is through the roof?

Dreepa

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 14, 2007, 10:24 AM NHFT
Can you donate blood when your blood alcohol level is through the roof?
I was thinking that they could donate early BEFORE they drink and then it is easier for them to get drunk...