• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

List of smoking bans starting today

Started by burnthebeautiful, January 01, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on January 04, 2007, 09:43 PM NHFT
I wonder what the process of becoming a member of a Utah bar is, like if they can just approve you on the spot or not. I imagine businesses would want to make the application process as easy as possible.

I haven't been to Utah, but I imagine they use something like the Unicard system as seen in Texas. "Join one, join 'em all!" Until Texarkana, Texas, recently changed their "local option" on alcohol sales, all restaurants that served alcohol had to be private clubs. Most belonged to Unicard or a similar system. "Joining" was seamless and transparent: they would swipe your drivers' license, "charge" you the $5 membership fee, and simultaneously credit you with a $5 bonus for joining.  ;)

While Bowie County, Texas, is legally "dry", it's oft-said that it's "dry like a martini". Since last May's vote, restaurants can serve beer and wine without being "private clubs", but we still have to drive to the Arkansas side of town to buy alcohol to take home.

This is the South on drugs.  ;)

Kevin

burnthebeautiful

The Virginia House of Reps voted yesterday to ban smoking in restaurants. Luckily it will probably die in committee. Still, though, even Virginian politicians, with the states tobacco history approving a smoking ban? It really doesn't seem like any state is immune. On the contrary it seems like places that have a history of tobacco growing and use are especially anxious to ban smoking to "clear up the states image".

The only place that is immune to smoking bans in the time being is Germany - there was recently a ruling by the German supreme court stating that a nation-wide smoking ban would violate the German constitution. However, there's now talk of an EU-wide smoking ban, so Germany, and every European country, might not be safe after all. :'(

burnthebeautiful

Good news: The North Dokota Senate voted 30-15 against a smoking ban in bars today :)

"Sen. David Nething, R-Jamestown, said during Senate debate Thursday that he had been influenced by statements from tavern owners and employees who said they worked in smoking environments by choice. Senators voted 30-15 on Thursday to defeat the ban.

"People do have a right to work where they want to work," Nething said. "If they are willing to assume the risk, I don't know if it is up to ... this Legislature to say that you don't have to do that, because we're going to protect you."

If this is what influenced the North Dakota senate, I highly suggest we employ this strategy for the upcoming Smoking Ban in NH. We should find employees and owners of smoking-allowed bars to testify that they are working there of their own free will! I know the owner of Jillian's in Manchester will help!

burnthebeautiful

A proposed smoking ban in Wyoming was shot down in committee today. Nice, one Wyoming :) They seem to know what they're doing to a large extent over there, I'm not surprised it came in second in the FSP vote.

In Kansas, they have decided to not vote on a smoking ban this year, choosing instead to establish an interim committee and vote on it in 2008. Biting time...

In Minnesota the proposed statewide smoking bans been amended to now say that bars with approved ventilation systems will be exempt. The Senate will vote on this version of the bill. An interesting thing about the proposed Minnesota smoking ban is it would override all local smoking bans. Meaning that in cities and counties where it's currently illegal to smoke in bars, those local laws would be abolished and replaced with the statewide law allowing smoking if there's a ventilation system.

Iowa's government will be voting on a law that would allow local governments to pass smoking bans more strict than state law. As of now, smoking bans can only be enacted on the state level.

Transition Force

Utah's drinking laws are asinine.

I have a friend - a mormon to boot - who would like to open up a bar in Southern Utah. However, she can't because her husband is a local cop and the state govt prohibits cops from being financially involved in the alcohol buisness or something like that.