• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fish and chips, Maine style

Started by maineiac, November 02, 2006, 09:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maineiac

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: maineiac on November 02, 2006, 09:37 PM NHFT

Unbefuckinglievable! I feel bad for this guy. I feel bad for the fish!

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/statewide.aspx?articleid=142514&zoneid=500

I thought koi were just overgrown goldfish. So having a "koi pond" is civil disobedience? Hummm  >:D

Spencer

The article says that the guy has had the fish for 15 years and then goes on to say:

"The restaurant owner also faces a misdemeanor charge of illegally importing koi, for which he could be fined $1,000. No court date has been set for the jury trial that Ly requested in conjunction with his not-guilty plea in West Bath District Court."

What the hell is the statute-of-limitation on illegally importing koi in Maine?  It must be longer than for anything other than murder (which has no statute-of-limitation).

Brock

Actually, this article makes the situation sound much less aggregious than it actually is.  Here's what happened when the fish were targeted originally: (my emphasis)

QuoteLy, 45, said his pet koi were like family members and their confiscation in what he described as a heavy-handed raid made him "want to explode inside."

After obtaining a search warrant, two uniformed wardens and a biologist, accompanied by Freeport police, visited China Rose on Wednesday, taking away the 10 fish that ranged in size from 12 to 14 inches.

Otosan

Unbefuckinglievable!

I tend to a gree wity you maineiac, but when it comes to the gov and some of its BS......well.... the unbelievable becomes some what believable ... or expected... :P

JonM

[nannystate]
"The feeling of the board was that if they were displayed publicly, more people would want to import these fish illegally," said Mark Latti, a spokesman for the department.
[/nannystate]

We need a BBC [nannystate] tag that displays the text in a condescending font.  Then we need a condescending font.

KurtDaBear

Ironically, the People's Republic of California, which has attempted to control just about everything in the world including global warming, doesn't give a rat's ass about Koi.  On the other hand, the Calif. Dept. of Squish & Maim has spent more than a decade and many millions of dollars attempting to eradicate Northern Pike from a reservoir here.  They have dynamited, drained and poisoned the lake several times over, and the pike keep coming back.  Dep't. officials are undaunted, however, and are currently seeking comments on a new poisoning plan from a community that used to get its water from the lake.

Apparently that's the difference between the left coast and the right coast--Koi vs. Pike.

God forbid, however, that you attempt to keep a ferret in Calif.  They are flat out illegal--loaded or unloaded.  (I think the weasels in state gov't. are afraid of the competition.)

NOTE: I hope the Cuong Ly having the problem in Maine is not the same Cuong Ly who used to work for me as a pressman at Pandick Press in San Francisco, as he is a nice guy and has had enough problems in his life without all this gov't. harassment.

maineiac

. . . and the saga continues; seems the poor guy's fish are being held in NH!

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=144707&zoneid=500

Lord help me, when I think about bureaucrats, I literally see red! >:(

How about you protesters picketing the fish prison? :P