• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ask an Atheist

Started by TackleTheWorld, January 05, 2007, 06:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Quote from: MaineShark on January 07, 2007, 08:48 AM NHFT
Let's try another.  How about life elsewhere in the universe?  I've never seen it, so it must not be possible that life evolved anywhere else but on this particular rock, right?

I'd say it's likely there is life elsewhere in the universe.  I've never ruled that possibility out.  At the same time, I've never asserted it to be true, so I don't have to prove either way.

Caleb

Quoteextraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

extraordinary evidence requires extraordinary claims.  ;)

Rocketman

From the resident agnostic/deist: karma to everybody for having a thoughtful, rational discussion on this topic.

Braddogg

Thanks, Rocketman.  You may want to change your profile -- you're a full-blown Freedom Fighter now, not a mere conspirator  8)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 09:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on January 06, 2007, 09:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 09:27 PM NHFTJust because you've never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
True, but that doesn't mean I have to prove its nonexistence.

If you want to assert that it does not exist, you sure do.

Or are you going to take it on faith that no such thing as a water buffalo exists?

Joe

I've never seen the Eiffel Tower except in photos and film. Might be 100 years of Photoshop, and, it doesn't really exist, I don't know!    But, because there are a suffecient number of people willing to show it to me,  I believe it exists.

dareme03244

If there is such a thing as gods, then I believe that we ordinary human folk are the gods.  We create life, and we have the ability to save lives by healing people.  Huh?  Sounds like a GOD to me!!!!!  Interesting how people get caught up in religious bullshit. Anyway, it's a crazy world that is happening all around us 24/7 . A commitment to the truth is ultimately how I am raising my children,  three lives that I am responsible for bringing into this world.   I am interested in this planet, and the progress of mankind. I believe that there are too many religious politicians pulling this country in too many directions, forcing us to balance out the political chaos. Everyone is interested in self interest!  Kinda sucks for the rest of us who are just trying to make sense of this world we were born into.  A little FYI, I grew up Catholic, and as an adult I took several workshops for bible study.  The only way to make decisions for yourself is to empower yourself with knowledge.  Good luck to all of you.  Live Free or Die.

MaineShark

JM: I think your post really only applies to the Judeo/Christian/Islamic notion of God, not all concepts of god(s), so it doesn't really defend atheism.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on January 07, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on January 07, 2007, 08:48 AM NHFTLet's try another.  How about life elsewhere in the universe?  I've never seen it, so it must not be possible that life evolved anywhere else but on this particular rock, right?
I'd say it's likely there is life elsewhere in the universe.  I've never ruled that possibility out.  At the same time, I've never asserted it to be true, so I don't have to prove either way.

So, you believe it is possible that there is life elsewhere in the universe?

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 08, 2007, 07:50 AM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 09:27 PM NHFTJust because you've never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Or are you going to take it on faith that no such thing as a water buffalo exists?
I've never seen the Eiffel Tower except in photos and film. Might be 100 years of Photoshop, and, it doesn't really exist, I don't know!    But, because there are a suffecient number of people willing to show it to me,  I believe it exists.

I'd be willing to bet that more people believe in a god of some sort than believe in the Eiffel Tower...

Joe

powerchuter

I second that Rocketman! Karma to ya...

dareme03244

If you are an Atheist, this question is regarding dealing with your local community.  What personal mantra do you insist for yourself, and how do you motivate people to be their personal best.  Also, what experiences good or bad could you share that would describe what an Atheist does, and do any Atheists share common beliefs?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: MaineShark on January 14, 2007, 03:01 PM NHFT
JM: I think your post really only applies to the Judeo/Christian/Islamic notion of God, not all concepts of god(s), so it doesn't really defend atheism.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on January 07, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on January 07, 2007, 08:48 AM NHFTLet's try another.  How about life elsewhere in the universe?  I've never seen it, so it must not be possible that life evolved anywhere else but on this particular rock, right?

So, you believe it is possible that there is life elsewhere in the universe?

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 08, 2007, 07:50 AM NHFT

I'd be willing to bet that more people believe in a god of some sort than believe in the Eiffel Tower...

Joe

So would I.  There might be more people who believe in the existence of The ET than believe in any one god, but, I get your point, knowledge of the possibility of it's existence is not universal.

d_goddard

I'd encourage Atheists to peek over at the Brights' Net.
I found a few people over there who "get" liberty (mostly people who loved Atlas Shrugged)
http://the-brights.net/forums/

I haven't posted there in ages, but may join in if some fun is in the offing

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: dareme03244 on March 10, 2007, 04:50 PM NHFT
If you are an Atheist, this question is regarding dealing with your local community.  What personal mantra do you insist for yourself, and how do you motivate people to be their personal best.  Also, what experiences good or bad could you share that would describe what an Atheist does, and do any Atheists share common beliefs?

Personal mantra: See screen name.

Motivational method: Selfishness.

Good experience: Saving money at christmas.

bad experience: Awkwardly addressing my prayer to "the powers that be" at the prayer circle.

Common beliefObjectivists are atheists because we enjoy judging for ourselves and find logic valuable.  Faith asks that you turn off your critical mind and we really cant part with ours.  We say humans need our minds to live and consider it destroying the only self we have if we abandon our own judgment.

error

I'm having a lot of trouble with the concept of an atheist in a prayer circle.

TackleTheWorld

Pat K

You could pray to Joe Pesci , like George Carlyn does. :)