• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ask an Atheist

Started by TackleTheWorld, January 05, 2007, 06:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: d_goddard on January 05, 2007, 04:18 PM NHFT
I'm a devout atheist.
I have deep reverence in the knowledge that every second of life is precious, and than it's The End when my body stops working.

Quote from: Caleb on January 05, 2007, 06:09 PM NHFT
Why must there be no God for every second of life to be precious?

Jim Johnson

Why should every second of live be precious?

Russell Kanning

Caleb

I'm so glad you put up this "Ask an atheist" thread, Lauren.  There's been something I've been meaning to ask an atheist:

How do you spell `Atheist'?  :D

Tom Sawyer

Jim is clearly some kind of freakin' pagan, gnostic, nihilist. ("We are nihilists we believe in nothing...") ;D

Kat Kanning

He's got his atheist's robes of office on.

TackleTheWorld

People who act to secure an afterlife are not acting to secure this life.

What's worse, religions usually advocate sacrifice as the way to afterlife.  Sacrifice is giving up something you need or want.  Sacrifice causes your natural life to suffer.  So athiests value their natural life and this earth more highly than others because they refuse to harm the life and earth they have for a fantasy of imortality and perfection.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Caleb on January 05, 2007, 07:18 PM NHFT
I'm so glad you put up this "Ask an atheist" thread, Lauren.  There's been something I've been meaning to ask an atheist:

Wrong, I guess.

Thanks Caleb :)

Pat K

Also I like not having a bloody guy nailed to a plus sign up on
a wall in my house . It is so unatractive and hard to dust.

TEBON

Quote from: Pat K on January 05, 2007, 07:34 PM NHFT

:biglaugh: +1

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat K on January 05, 2007, 07:34 PM NHFT

Ahhh... you'll be smokin' a turd in purgatory for that one Patty Boy. ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Caleb on January 05, 2007, 07:18 PM NHFT

Realist

MaineShark

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on January 05, 2007, 07:29 PM NHFTPeople who act to secure an afterlife are not acting to secure this life.

What's worse, religions usually advocate sacrifice as the way to afterlife.  Sacrifice is giving up something you need or want.  Sacrifice causes your natural life to suffer.  So athiests value their natural life and this earth more highly than others because they refuse to harm the life and earth they have for a fantasy of imortality and perfection.

Not all belief systems ask people to sacrifice in order to attain an afterlife.  Many believers in reincarnation believe that it is an inevitability, not something that you "win" by your behavior.

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 06, 2007, 08:06 AM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on January 05, 2007, 07:18 PM NHFTI'm so glad you put up this "Ask an atheist" thread, Lauren.  There's been something I've been meaning to ask an atheist:

Realist

Not to nit-pick, but atheism isn't any more "realistic" than theism.  You can't know that there is no god, any more than Caleb knows that there is one.  The theists do have the advantage in that it would be logically possible to find one or more gods and prove their claim, whereas the atheist can never prove that there is no god of any sort.

Agnostics admit that they don't (and often, can't) know the answer to that question.  I have more respect for that than for any claim made based on faith alone, regardless of whether that is faith in a god, or faith in the lack of a god.  I would have equal respect for someone who was a theist based on actual knowledge of the existence of one or more gods, but I've met precious few of those...

Joe

FTL_Ian

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 10:52 AM NHFT
Not to nit-pick, but atheism isn't any more "realistic" than theism.  You can't know that there is no god, any more than Caleb knows that there is one.  The theists do have the advantage in that it would be logically possible to find one or more gods and prove their claim, whereas the atheist can never prove that there is no god of any sort.

The burden of proof lies on he who makes the claim of existence.  "God" is a man-made concept that people tend to absorb from parents.  Everyone is born an atheist.  It is our natural state.

Quoteor faith in the lack of a god.

Common fallacy.  I don't have to have faith in the non-existence of entities.  They simply don't exist until proven otherwise by their supporters.  This applies to any fantasy entity:  god, unicorns, leprechauns, or bigfoot.

AlanM

Quote from: FTL_Ian on January 06, 2007, 01:33 PM NHFT
I don't have to have faith in the non-existence of entities.  They simply don't exist until proven otherwise by their supporters.  This applies to any fantasy entity:  god, unicorns, leprechauns, or bigfoot.

Or Shorty Dawkins. Oh, my God! What am I saying? I'm sorry Shorty.