• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

But seriously . . . atheism?

Started by Braddogg, January 05, 2007, 11:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Rocketman on January 28, 2007, 04:39 PM NHFT
I'm trying to show that it's okay to turn on religion without turning on God.
I highly recommend it. :)
I don't mean to take over the atheist thread (started by and for atheists)... but I have enjoyed some posts.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 31, 2007, 08:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: Rocketman on January 28, 2007, 04:39 PM NHFT
I'm trying to show that it's okay to turn on religion without turning on God.
I highly recommend it. :)
I don't mean to take over the atheist thread (started by and for atheists)... but I have enjoyed some posts.

Oh crap this thread is for atheists, I didn't know that, does confused count? :D

Michael Fisher

Quote from: eques on January 29, 2007, 08:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: Michael Fisher on January 29, 2007, 12:05 AM NHFT
Quote from: eques on January 28, 2007, 03:34 PM NHFT
Michael, I don't know you from Adam.  Honest.  But are you really sure that you've changed all that much?  I mean, seriously?  I'm not reading anything like compassion from you at all... instead, I'm picking up an "I'm right, you're wrong, shut up" vibe in your latest postings.

Your worldview is based mostly on feelings. Mine is not. I was born very different from you, and that may be what you're picking up on. Regardless of what I have to say, the "vibes" of my posts will most likely always annoy you.

Mike, you have vacillating standards for "feelings" versus "evidence."  In any case, you're preaching compassion out of one side of your mouth, while insults and condescension come out of the other.

If you want a big clue as to why I stopped believing in Christianity, take a good look at yourself.  You're a prime example as to the phoniness I wanted to escape.  How can I believe in a religion which produces utter phonies and hypocrites?

Because my personality irks you constantly, regardless of the topic of discussion, I'm now a condescending, phony, hypocritical Christian?

That somehow does not seem like an objective conclusion.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Braddogg on January 29, 2007, 12:55 AM NHFT
to a nameless person

Pheme Perkins, editor of the New Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV).  She seemed impressed with the scholarship.

I stand corrected.

does not make you wise in the Word, nor does your knowledge of Leo Tolstoy's Christian perspective. None of this gives you the credibility necessary to completely lie about the meaning of the Bible and be believed by anyone.

I've really hit some buttons.  I can't believe you're going to turn this into a pissing contest.

You keep telling me I'm lying . . . what's your proof?

Quoting old statutes as still applicable is a lie. Now admitting that they have been fulfilled by Christ contradicts their applicability.

Again:

Peter says that Christians are to live good lives and good deeds (1 Pet 2:12).  Then, commands everyone to "honor the king" (v. 17) and for slaves to obey their masters (v.18), and that honoring the king and obeying your masters are good deeds.

It's about focusing on love, despite the near-constant enslavement of humanity throughout history and even today.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Minsk on January 29, 2007, 06:56 AM NHFT
I don't care what side you're on, someone needs to petition God for a combined and easy-reader version of the various texts authored in His name. Given the hundreds who spent their lifetimes studying such writings come up with completely different results, I find it entertaining every time someone claims the One And Only True Path. Oh the unlimited ego and self-importance they must possess, to claim to know the mind of God.

Your faith is not in God. Your faith is in yourself. :'(

Yes, that attitude annoys me, too.  :-\

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Rocketman on January 29, 2007, 09:28 AM NHFT
Quote from: Michael Fisher on January 29, 2007, 12:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on January 29, 2007, 12:04 AM NHFT
Quote from: Michael Fisher on January 28, 2007, 02:40 PM NHFT
Epicureanism, that 2,300-year-old hypocritical deist nonsense, strikes again. So Karl Marx was right after all.  ::)

[. . .]

Quote from: Michael Fisher on January 28, 2007, 02:57 PM NHFT
And you expect anyone to take you seriously with such a super-judgemental, oversimplifying, immature, and insulting tongue?

That is not an opinion, it is a fact. Epicureanism is hypocritical deist nonsense exploited by Karl Marx. Period.

A very enlightened analysis...  ::)

Facts are facts.

Objective statement: Epicurus was anti-God and a polytheist.  ???
Subjective statement: This does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

Objective statement: Epicureanism comprised Karl Marx's doctoral dissertation.
Objective statement: That does not inherently discredit Epicureanism.
Subjective statement: But think twice about anything advocated by Karl Marx.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Rocketman on January 29, 2007, 09:46 AM NHFT
There is an easy-reader version.  It's called "creation."  A true gift from God, not men who are trying to control humanity by appealing to divine authority.

Uh oh, man, that was post '666' for you.  That MUST mean that it's a message from Satan!

LOL!

Satan has always been in cahoots with deists -- just ask Michael Fisher!

Ask the Bible. I have no wisdom apart from it.

Michael Fisher

I am sorry for being overly defensive the other night. That is the worst I have acted in many months and there is no excuse for it.  :-[

KBCraig

Michael, I haven't been paying any attention to this thread since about Page 3 or so. I unintentionally opened it tonight while looking at my "show unread posts" view.

But now that I'm here, let me slap some karma points on you for your humble spirit.

(Wait... is cool for one Christian to given another Christian "karma"?  ;D)

Kevin

eques

Quote from: Michael Fisher on January 31, 2007, 10:50 PM NHFT
Because my personality irks you constantly, regardless of the topic of discussion, I'm now a condescending, phony, hypocritical Christian?

That somehow does not seem like an objective conclusion.

Set aside everything else for a minute.

What in the world are you talking about with personality?

It's the attitude that irks me.  I don't know where you're getting this "personality" business from.

Caleb

I think he's saying that is his personality, take it or leave it. 

If you read his posts prior to his conversion, and read his posts after his conversion, Michael's personality seems to be pretty much the same - only the ideas have changed.  His tone has not.

Rocketman

Quote from: Caleb on February 01, 2007, 06:01 PM NHFT

If you read his posts prior to his conversion, and read his posts after his conversion, Michael's personality seems to be pretty much the same - only the ideas have changed.  His tone has not.

He always speaks and writes as if he's quite sure of himself.  One would think so many conversions would give him a sense of perspective... until a year ago he was more "anti-God" than Epicurus, but now "facts are facts" and the Bible is the source of all wisdom.  Doesn't the Bible promote learning from experiences and isn't that a form of wisdom?"

Appreciate your apology, Michael. 

Russell Kanning

Quote from: raineyrocks on January 31, 2007, 08:31 AM NHFT
Oh crap this thread is for atheists, I didn't know that, does confused count? :D
I thought all atheists were confused. :Bolt:

Caleb

Quote from: Caleb on February 01, 2007, 06:01 PM NHFT

And after reading this, it comes across sounding way more condescending than I meant it to be. Sorry, Michael.  I was trying to defend you, not insult you.

Michael Fisher

Caleb,

If the truth hurts me, then so be it. :)

I was born and raised ultra-judgemental, but now that I'm an adult, there is no longer any excuse for it. It's something I am working on changing with every ounce of my energy at this time.

I simply cannot continue to have such an attitude. It is not acceptable.