• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

But seriously . . . atheism?

Started by Braddogg, January 05, 2007, 11:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Braddogg

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 09:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on January 06, 2007, 09:09 PM NHFTEh?  I might not have been clear: YOU will not be free until YOU stop believing in things that don't exist.  I will not be free until I stop beleiving in things that don't exist.  JOE will not be free until JOE stops believing in things that don't exist.  Beliefs are principles of action, and if our actions are based off of fantasy, then we can't be free.  Sure, if Joe is a theist but is an anarchist, then sure, whatever, that doesn't impede on your freedom.

I don?t believe in anything that doesn?t exist.  I possess no ability to experience ?faith,? nor do I possess any desire to develop such an ability.  I have no faith in the existence of any god, nor do I have faith in the non-existence of any god.

Ah, crap, sorry Joe.  I chose the name at random, not to bring you into it.  I've changed it in my post now.  But, a quick response, it might be more accurate to say that you "don't believe OR not believe in anything that does OR doesn't exist."

MaineShark

Quote from: Braddogg on January 06, 2007, 09:23 PM NHFTAh, crap, sorry Joe.  I chose the name at random, not to bring you into it.  I've changed it in my post now.  But, a quick response, it might be more accurate to say that you "don't believe OR not believe in anything that does OR doesn't exist."

No, I wouldn't call that accurate.  Your statement is null.

Joe

Braddogg

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 09:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on January 06, 2007, 09:23 PM NHFTAh, crap, sorry Joe.  I chose the name at random, not to bring you into it.  I've changed it in my post now.  But, a quick response, it might be more accurate to say that you "don't believe OR not believe in anything that does OR doesn't exist."
Your statement is null.

Joe

Exactly.

MaineShark

Quote from: Braddogg on January 06, 2007, 09:35 PM NHFT
Your statement is null.
Exactly.

Your statement is null.  Mine is not.

Joe

Braddogg

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2007, 09:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on January 06, 2007, 09:35 PM NHFT
Your statement is null.
Exactly.

Your statement is null.  Mine is not.

Joe

My statement is rubber and yours is glue; whatever you say about it bounces off of it and sticks to yours!   :P

But seriously, if you're going to say that leprauchans and ghosts and tiny reindeer above your head may exist, then sure, say that a god might exist.  It seems like that might be consistent.  But, it's a meaningless statement in practicality.  You don't change your behavior to reflect the possibility that there are reindeer tapping on your head, because there is no physical evidence for it.  In other words, your agnosticism as concerns reindeers on your head may as well be rational disbelief.  The same standard should be applied to the question of the existence of a god.  If you want to call that agnosticism, go ahead; call it Philism if you want.  I call it atheism.  I say "Unless proven otherwise, these reindeer atop my head don't exist; or, at the very least, I'm going to act as though they don't exist, which shows that at a root level I donb't believe they exist."  Just so long as you are consistent . . . .

Michael Fisher

I have no idea what all the tohubohu and hullabaloo is about.

Believing in God has nothing to do with evidence, only faith.

If evidence proved God's existence, then faith would be unnecessary. Why would He ever desire to nullify the necessity of faith before the apocalypse (the revealing)?

Credere est videre. Believing is seeing.

Michael Fisher

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is real.

I was an atheist for my entire life until Dec. 15, 2005, at the age of 24, when a great friend helped me find my faith in God.

As Blaise Pascal said (another man who was an atheist for most of his life until his later years): faith and skepticism go hand-in-hand.

I have been one of the most extreme skeptics I've ever known, and I still am. And rightfully so.

Caleb

I don't care to challenge the philosophical assumptions or debate with the atheists at this time.  But I can say that God was never real to me until I experienced him firsthand.  All the textbooks in the world ... all the logical arguments ... all the rational discourse ... all the proofs ... they are worthless when compared to that.  And that makes all the difference.  If I had not tasted, and seen that God is good, I should most likely be an atheist too.

Caleb

Michael Fisher

I've found several different ways of literally experiencing God as an atheist. Each one works on its own, without the others:

1. Completely forgive a most egregious transgression. Especially if the physical or emotional pain are impossible to forgive, God will shine His love upon you like nothing you've ever felt before. It is unmistakable.

or

2. Fast and pray. This works if the heart is open to finding the truth, regardless of prior judgements or feelings. Prayers must be made in sincere love and can be for family, friends, enemies, or anyone else. You can literally feel His love emanating from within yourself, and you wonder where the love is coming from.

or

3. Give your entire heart to God and permanently align yourself with Him. ABC: Admit your need for God's forgiveness and guidance, Believe in Him and His forgiveness, and Confess Him before others.

Pat K

"If I had not tasted, and seen that God is good,"

Caleb the cannibal!!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Pat K on January 07, 2007, 12:29 AM NHFT

Caleb the cannibal!!

What is the body and blood of christ?

Rocketman

I return from a night of hellraising and find that the Xtians have struck back.   ;D

Gosh, what's a deist to do?  (Shall I write a book?!?!)

Pat K

Quote from: Pat McCotter on January 07, 2007, 12:51 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on January 07, 2007, 12:29 AM NHFT

Caleb the cannibal!!

What is the body and blood of christ?

Cannibal and Vampire!!!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: FTL_Ian on January 06, 2007, 01:36 PM NHFT

That's when I came out of the closet, but I'd been questioning for a long time before that...
Not really my cup of tea .... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Rocketman on January 07, 2007, 01:02 AM NHFT
Gosh, what's a deist to do?  (Shall I write a book?!?!)
Whatever he wants .... isn't that the point of being a deist?