• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New Law Requires Black Box Recorders In N.H. Cars

Started by CNHT, January 06, 2007, 01:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_001105033.html

CONCORD, N.H. Anyone who buys or leases a new car in New Hampshire now must be told whether their vehicles are equipped with event data recorders, also known as "black boxes."

The new law goes into effect Monday.

The recorders can help investigators after a crash because they capture information such as speed, location, steering and brake performance and seat belt status.

But the devices have raised concerns from privacy experts, who say many people don't know if the black boxes are in their cars. Some are concerned the information it records can be used against you.

Nationally, automakers have until 2011 to disclose whether a vehicle includes the device, but in New Hampshire, the owner's manual of any new vehicles sold or leased in the state must disclose whether the devices are installed starting January 1, 2007.

error

It only has to be in the owner's manual? So, you won't know if you have a black box until after you buy the car? And who reads the owner's manual, anyway?...

Otosan

Not only should you be told before hand that the car has a "black box", but also how to disable it.... >:D

KBCraig

Isn't the subject line inaccurate?

The NH laws doesn't require the black boxes. It requires that their presence/existence be disclosed to buyers.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on January 06, 2007, 11:31 AM NHFT

The NH laws doesn't require the black boxes. It requires that their presence/existence be disclosed to buyers.

Kevin

Exactly.

"New Law Requires DISCLOSURE OF Black Box Recorders In N.H. Cars"

This is a pro-privacy law, not that I agree with the existence of law or government in any way.

96% of vehicles made after 1996 have black boxes.  :o :o :o

That is the primary reason why I drive a 1995 Jetta.  8)

aries

Just another little bullet point that you sign off to when you dont read things...

KBCraig

Quote from: Michael Fisher on January 06, 2007, 12:42 PM NHFT
96% of vehicles made after 1996 have black boxes.  :o :o :o

Yes, but OBD-II engine monitoring is not the same as "event data recorders", which are what prompted this law.

OBD-II doesn't record anything except what your car's pollution control systems are doing. The event data recorders track speed, throttle setting, application of brakes, and (if enabled) GPS location data. That's a much bigger privacy concern, hence the notification law.

I started to argue that any law about these things should require that drivers be able to switch them off or have them removed... then I remembered I don't want any more laws.  ;D

Kevin

error

Quote from: Otosan on January 06, 2007, 07:08 AM NHFT
Not only should you be told before hand that the car has a "black box", but also how to disable it.... >:D

Hint: It isn't black.

Personally I won't buy a new vehicle unless the dealer shows me where it is and how to remove it.

And I won't buy a used late-model vehicle unless I can find it myself.

cathleeninnh

I doubt we will be able to get insurance if it is disabled.

Cathleen

MaineShark

Generally, they record the last few seconds before an airbag deployment.

So disconnect your airbag, smack the sensor with a sledgehammer, and call it a day.  If anyone reads the EDR, it will show that the airbag went off while the car was sitting still.

Of course, your airbag will be defunct, but do you really care?  Only Ralph Nader would imagine the idea of detonating an explosive device in someone's face, for safety! ::)

Joe

CNHT

Quote from: aries on January 06, 2007, 01:00 PM NHFT
Just another little bullet point that you sign off to when you dont read things...

Welp, I guess the reporter who wrote that should be spanked heartily for misleading us. Imagine that? The press mislead us. <giggle>

Fluff and Stuff

Kevin

Yeah, it sounds like a good law and a win for the people of NH.

CNHT

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on January 11, 2007, 02:50 PM NHFT
Kevin

Yeah, it sounds like a good law and a win for the people of NH.

If the subject line is inaccurate, you better start the LTE's to clear it up.
Because that is what I copied from their own title.

The press is not infallible, and I wish people would see that.

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on January 11, 2007, 03:06 PM NHFT

*snork*... "Not infallible"? I'm just amazed when they get the major thrust of the story correct, nevermind the details!

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on January 11, 2007, 06:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on January 11, 2007, 03:06 PM NHFT

*snork*... "Not infallible"? I'm just amazed when they get the major thrust of the story correct, nevermind the details!

Well you don't know how many times I've had people tell me that if they did not read it in the mainsttream press, it didn't happen.