• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New Law Requires Black Box Recorders In N.H. Cars

Started by CNHT, January 06, 2007, 01:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lildog

One of the national news channels I was watching the other day had this as one of their shocker stories (you know the kind like the teasers "something in your home could kill you while you sleep.... tune in at 11").

They said many cars sold in the last couple years already have these devices already in them.  They record EVERYTHING.  Every turn you take, speed, weight of the car etc.

Some of us reading this forum may already have them in our cars.

The law is to let people know about them and I believe gives them the option to tell the dealer to turn it off.

The news story pointed to actual court cases where the data in these devices was used to testify against the driver.  Imagine that, your own car testifying against you.  "Next witness, I call Herbie!"   :iroc:

KBCraig

eques

Say, where are they located in 2002 model Honda Civics? ;)

Reducing the weight of my ride will help my gas mileage!!! ::)

Spencer

Here's some more information:

From the National Motorists' Association:

The device in question is a tad bigger than a pack of cigarettes and it's not in all cars. (Ford and GM use them, Chrysler does not.) It only records about five seconds of data when your air bag either goes off or thinks about going off. For now, most record just a few tidbits of information like change in speed, throttle position, braking application, and seat belt use.

http://www.motorists.com/issues/edrs/whosedata.html

Also from the NMA:

A PDF list of GM models (from 1996 through 2002) with these devices and their locations: http://www.accidentreconstruction.com/research/edr/docs/vehiclecoverage2001.pdf

Another PDF list of all models that have devices accessible via certain software (1994 through 2006) -- ALL Saturns since 1995 have them: http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

Spencer

Here's some bad news about disabling black boxes:

How can I remove or disable the EDR?
You can't. The data produced come from various vehicle sensors, such as the anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control. The data recording function is so thoroughly integrated into a car's electronics that there is no way to completely disable it without also disabling safety features in a way that would violate federal law.

http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/your-car-the-black-box-and-big-brother/20060823203209990001

error

Quote from: Spencer on January 17, 2007, 10:13 PM NHFT
Here's some bad news about disabling black boxes:

That means you can't disable it without violating federal law, not without violating your car.

You can be sure that if there is a safe way to disable it, a nice hacker will find it sooner or later.

MaineShark

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on January 11, 2007, 02:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on January 06, 2007, 11:31 AM NHFTIsn't the subject line inaccurate?
Yeah, it sounds like a good law and a win for the people of NH.

"Good law"?  Isn't that an oxymoron?

Holding a gun to someone's head to extract information isn't good.

If you want to know if your car has one, ask.  No one should be forced at gunpoint to volunteer information you haven't the sense to ask for.

Joe

Quantrill

Quote(Ford and GM use them, Chrysler does not.)

Sounds good to ME!    ;D

mraaron

QuoteHow can I remove or disable the EDR?
You can't. The data produced come from various vehicle sensors, such as the anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control. The data recording function is so thoroughly integrated into a car's electronics that there is no way to completely disable it without also disabling safety features in a way that would violate federal law.

My vehicle doesnt have one, but maybe if a connector is used, and only for device downloads, the connector
could be rendered useless with non conductive epoxy or something similar.   I once drove within sight of the
Canadian border without Daytime Running Lights (DRL)'s.  The fuse was missing when I bought the vehicle. ;)